gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:24:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The album formerly known as ''Dumb Angel'' - The May 1967 mono (re)mix  (Read 1664 times)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:35:06 AM »

This particular mix I tried to assemble as a 1967 album circa May- in a world where work would NOT continue on I Love To Say Da-Da and Brian would just finish the damn thing! The goal was to have all the songs listed on the 12-track late december version of the LP (with 2 sides/movements) mixed with full vocals and little bits of the skits from the Psychedelic Sounds. Some of the arrangements follows the 2004 arrangements but as ''banded'' tracks instead of segues. Holidays was left off as the ''Trombone Dixie'' from the album.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oGOfuHlybA&feature=youtu.be
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/Mu0LN1EP/file.html

Side One (Americana) (19:45)

01 Prayer/Heroes & Villians (Cantina version with mixes from the acetates ''Early Version Outtakes Sessions''/Prelude to Fade/Sunny Down Snuff/Bicycle Rider outro)
02 Do You Like Worms (soniclovenoize's mix w/ vocals from ''happyroom'' fan mix)
03 Im' In Great Shape (aka The Barnyard Suite) (Barnyard + vocals from SMILE A.D/Great Shape=Smile Sessions/I Wanna Be Around/Friday Night from SMILE A.D)
04 Vega-Tables (Smile Sessions + vocals from Smiley Smile Japanese Remaster)
05 The Old Master Painter (Smile Sessions)
06 Cabin Essence (Smile Sessions)

Side Two (Life) (21:55)

07 Good Vibrations (Smiley Smile Japanese Remaster)
08 Wind Chimes (GV Boxset + Psychedelic Sounds)
09 The Elements (Earth: Smile Sessions + royalty-free sound fx/Fire: SOT 17 + vocals from SMILE A.D/Water: soniclovenoize's mix + Psychedelic Sounds (including the vintage 1966 water sounds!)/Air: Smiley Smile Japanese Remaster+ Psychedelic Sounds+royalty-free sound fx)
10 Wonderful/Look (Smile Sessions+happy room)
11 Child Is Father Of The Man (Smile Sessions+Smile A.D+The Smile Project+happyroom+krabklaw)
12 Surf's Up/Prayer (reprise) (Smile Sessions+bruiteur+Psychedelic Sounds)

bonus track:
Heroes & Villains Part Two (b-side) (Smile Sessions)

Comments and suggestions are always welcomed!

All thanks to these guys for making this possible:
seltaeb1012002, soniclovenoize, happyroom, krabklaw, The Old Master Painter, The Holy Bee, Chris from The Smile Project and
bruiteur.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:00:25 AM by shangaijoeBB » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:25:25 AM »

Not bad at all, but those Earth, Water, and Air sounds were recorded after May '67...like, June and October '67.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »

This particular mix I tried to assemble as a 1967 album circa May- in a world where work would NOT continue on I Love To Say Da-Da and Brian would just finish the damn thing! The goal was to have all the songs listed on the 12-track late december version of the LP (with 2 sides/movements) mixed with full vocals and little bits of the skits from the Psychedelic Sounds. Some of the arrangements follows the 2004 arrangements but as ''banded'' tracks instead of segues. Holidays was left off as the ''Trombone Dixie'' from the album.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE! Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oGOfuHlybA&feature=youtu.be
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/Mu0LN1EP/file.html

Side One (Americana) (19:45)

01 Prayer/Heroes & Villians (Cantina version with mixes from the acetates ''Early Version Outtakes Sessions''/Prelude to Fade/Sunny Down Snuff/Bicycle Rider outro)
02 Do You Like Worms (soniclovenoize's mix w/ vocals from ''happyroom'' fan mix+taxi caber skit from Psychedelic Sounds)
03 Im' In Great Shape (aka The Barnyard Suite) (Barnyard + vocals from SMILE A.D/Great Shape=Smile Sessions/I Wanna Be Around/Friday Night from SMILE A.D)
04 Vega-Tables (Smile Sessions + vocals from Smiley Smile Japanese Remaster)
05 The Old Master Painter (Smile Sessions)
06 Cabin Essence (Smile Sessions)

Side Two (Life) (21:55)

07 Good Vibrations (Smiley Smile Japanese Remaster)
08 Wind Chimes (GV Boxset + Psychedelic Sounds)
09 The Elements (Earth: Smile Sessions + royalty-free sound fx/Fire: SOT 17 + vocals from SMILE A.D/Water: soniclovenoize's mix + Psychedelic Sounds (including the vintage 1966 water sounds!)/Air: Smiley Smile Japanese Remaster+ Psychedelic Sounds+royalty-free sound fx)
10 Wonderful/Look (Smile Sessions+happy room)
11 Child Is Father Of The Man (Smile Sessions+Smile A.D+The Smile Project+happyroom+krabklaw)
12 Surf's Up/Prayer (reprise) (Smile Sessions+bruiteur+Psychedelic Sounds)

bonus track:
Heroes & Villains Part Two (b-side) (Smile Sessions)

Comments and suggestions are always welcomed!

All thanks to these guys for making this possible:
seltaeb1012002, soniclovenoize, happyroom, krabklaw, The Old Master Painter, The Holy Bee, Chris from The Smile Project and
bruiteur.

Sounds wonderful man.... Very cohesive running order and execution of overall mixing and editing. If THIS is how SMiLE would've been released in 1967, it'd be one hell of an album!
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:04:43 AM »

Thanks c-man and The Old Master Painter!

c-man: Yeah I know chronologically there are bits that were recorded after May 1967 that's why my mix is an ''imaginary'' remix where Brian recorded these bits instead of working on I Love To Say Da-Da (which would become Cool Cool Water for their next album).

OMP: I really dig your newer mix too that you've put on vimeo. I really like your H&V sequence and the way the little skits from Psychedelic Sounds are integrated into the songs.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:07:34 AM »

Excellent craftsmanship. I'm particularly impressed with the outro to "Wind Chimes" with the "Brian Falls Into Piano" and "Moaning/Laughing" overdub. Think I'm gonna add that to my playlist and scrap my version in it's favor.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx