-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:52:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  For pre October 2013 old timers that care what happened to MBE or Mike Eder.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: For pre October 2013 old timers that care what happened to MBE or Mike Eder.  (Read 4333 times)
ben plumbrook
« on: January 24, 2016, 04:11:34 AM »

OK so where have I been the last few years? Well sadly mostly sick at home. I have an illness called irritable bowel disease that has slowly taken over my life since my honeymoon in December 2012. By mid October 2013 I basically had to quit my career because my body quit on me. Since this is a board where I think I can be open about mental issues, considering Brian's problems. I also have been slightly manic depressive since age 11 in 1987, ever since the IBS started. It really makes your life abnormal so when it's bad, I'm not so good.

When I joined here in 2005, I was in great health in all ways, but I got caught up in the Elvis world and as the years went by, I really was angry that I couldn't break out of it to finish the Beach Boys book I started way back in 1995.

I did three finished versions. One in 1995, one in 2003, one 2012, but all anyone wanted was Elvis from me.

So many of you helped me like Billy and Amadna H, Melissa L, and all the authors and researchers on here then. I landed wonderful interviews over the years, and well basically the whole board from 2005-2013 was a part of this, all the people on here, everyone was with with me. and I felt I had let you all down not getting it out.

2012 was when it all started to slide.....I signed to do an Elvis book I really didn't want to do just so I couid maybe sneak in the Beach Boys book into the contract. Nope...didn't work. Elvis came out in September 2013, and I just broke from the pressure mentally and physically. Just broke.

Why? Well I stopped sleeping for one to promote it, I just couldn't sleep. Couldn't handle an overzealous critic, couldn't handle the juggling I had been doing. You see I hadn't stopped working at all since my mom's death in April 2012, and after doing 3 of my own books at once, finishing 2, helping on at least 6-8 others, doing numerous interviews, signings, finding to my shock I didn't like being in the public eye at all, etc. I had to take a few years off.

Sadly while mentally I have fully gotten the rest and love I needed after some much needed time off, my IBS has still gotten worse and worse. Since late 2014 I have only been able to leave my house a few hours at a time, and can't eat much of anything. Finally I started to get better a few months back under a new doctors care, but I still couldn't eat much, or do much.

Until last month.....I am getting truly well finally. You see I entered a major program with a doctor from North Western from Chicago. I am entering two months of intensive treatment and I hope to get my life back at the end of it. That means I will be the Mike Eder you knew many years ago before any of the health issues or stress issues got to me. However I will be keeping a much lower profile. All I want to do is write, maybe help repackage vinyl or DVD sets (which would both be new for me but I truly feel I know how to do both) and have a wonderful life for me and my wife.

No "fame", I hated that, I just want a quiet nice life where I can work and have real friends who don't want anything from me but my friendship. Also I will only work when and if I want to, on one thing at a time.

However all the projects I started, I hope to one day finish. They all deserve to be. I love music, I love film, and I think self publishing is the way to go. No more demands from anyone but Mike Eder. An easy, happy, slow pace, so I can make much better products. Please pray my IBS is back in control so I can be back full time. I want to come back, if you all will forgive and forget my time of stress and burnout. I wasn't always nice, and for that I am truly sorry, but now I know what's important and it's health, family, than career. Sorry it took me so long to figure out. I am just so excited to share with you my slow recovery, I thought would never have a chance to get well or write again.

Now I just want my life back and I think I can get it. Maybe I finally can face doing a 4th rewrite and getting it self published. No stigma anymore, and I can do it myself and hire Amazon to edit it.

You make no money with books btw, at least I didn't. Hell I remember now it's just for the love of the music, and I love the Beach Boys.

However, I heard it isn't happy here any more at all. I guess the 2012 debacle ruined everything and that is really sad to me.

When I was here, for the most part, we all got along.

I hope you all remember one thing....trust the art not the artist. Some are nice, some aren't but don't buy their publicity. They are all in it for themselves not for you. They charge 100 bucks for 3 min with them. They are not your friends. Make real friends, have a real family. I almost lost both because of my star chasing, they are not important as the people who really love you off the internet.

The people behind the music shouldn't be what matters, just the music. Enjoy it, stop worrying about the camps, and the bull crap, just love the music. I love the Beach Boys, all of them. Not as people, wouldn't care to know any celebs anymore, but the music is what I love, the people are irrelevant. SO AM I!

My book and the cool interviews is what matters, and that will live. I wish I never was on here really, don't want to be known. I want my work to be, but me I want a private quiet life.

So because I hate internet fighting, this is my final goodbye to a once wonderful board, my wife will answer anything you need to know from now on. I just write from this point on.  I just wanted to clear my name, and clear up all the misunderstanding and confusion my illnesses caused. If things change back to the kind friendly place that it was 10 years back, I'll be back too. This isn't the place I recall from back then at all. I just miss it, and that's why I left too. After the Beach Boys second break up, it sucks here atmosphere wise. I hated seeing the new divisions in the fan network. I liked all of you and to see all the fighting made me too sad for words.

I do hope you all have wonderful lives, because from now on I will have one, and I hope when I Can Hear Music comes out, it will make you see that all The Beach Boys were great, and that myths are exactly that too. The interviews are what matters, my subjective thoughts are just as valid or invalid as yours. I hope you will like it, but if not I can't help it. Take care all.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:55:03 AM »

Mike I wish you the best and wish you'd go back to occasionally posting on bb related matters. I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself worrying about people's reactions to your work. The truth is that you work hard on something and put it out and people enjoy it but you also have to expect that it doesn't make the world stop spinning. I am proud of the book Jon and I did and I was happy that a lot of fans liked it. I was bummed that it came and went and didn't engender tons of threads on smiley but the fact is its just a book and people read it and move on.  The only annoying thing is that I see so many questions pop up that we answered in the book and no one seems to know that it exists. Still we did it and that's all that matters
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »

Feel better soon, Mike.  Glad there is something new in the pipeline for treatment. 

Don't be a stranger, and let us know how you are doing.   Wink
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »

Nice to hear from you, Mike.

Good luck with your book.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »

Mike I wish you the best and wish you'd go back to occasionally posting on bb related matters. I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself worrying about people's reactions to your work. The truth is that you work hard on something and put it out and people enjoy it but you also have to expect that it doesn't make the world stop spinning. I am proud of the book Jon and I did and I was happy that a lot of fans liked it. I was bummed that it came and went and didn't engender tons of threads on smiley but the fact is its just a book and people read it and move on.  The only annoying thing is that I see so many questions pop up that we answered in the book and no one seems to know that it exists. Still we did it and that's all that matters
Ian, I got a copy of your book from Mike a couple years ago, loved it. But I finally saw it in a store for the first time last week - at Half Price Books! It's a shame your wonderful book didn't get a proper push, it is my favorite BB's book, simply because it is the first one I've read that didn't simply repeat the same old mantra about "Brian is a genius" "Brian is crazy" "Dennis was wild". This was a book about the GROUP.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 03:58:53 AM »

yeah-thank you.  Well that is the nature of the publishing world these days...It's up to you to set up promotion, get photographs, etc, etc
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »

Hello, Mr. Eder. 1st, you did right thing to tell us your latest news. But you're wrong - there are many old-timers who still around so don't say the board "used" to be good. It still is, click any BB thread. If it is dysfunctional, it's been like that before; every year some drama occured. So what? Apathy is the key to end that rubbish. As they say, don't feed the trolls.
Good luck on the BBs book. ;)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:49:21 AM »

Banned again?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »

why did Mike turn into ben plumbrook
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »

Did anybody ever get to sleep on his couch?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: