gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:13:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What collaborations/projects have the BBs turned down?  (Read 10475 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »

Mine's the 1991 edition...

Corrections welcome, as ever.  Smiley

So is mine, pink cover, bought it at Tower Records. My 1991 says the same thing about Wipeout as does Andrew Hickey's. And if you don't hear Mike, who is doing the bow, bow, Bows on the low end?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:11:04 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 04:18:36 PM »

So is mine, pink cover, bought it at Tower Records. My 1991 says the same thing about Wipeout as does Andrew Hickey's. And if you don't hear Mike, who is doing the bow, bow, Bows on the low end?

Me too.  I bought mine at Tower Records in Glasgow.  The manager was a guy called Andy Stacy I think.  He was a big Beach Boys fan.  They were well stocked and had a beach scene in the window when the 1993 Box Set came out (with a little help from Tom McGill).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »

While various members were involved, Pink Floyds 'The Show Must Go On' and Chicago's 'Wishing You Were Here' could also be included.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »

While various members were involved, Pink Floyds 'The Show Must Go On' and Chicago's 'Wishing You Were Here' could also be included.

How could Wishing You Were Here be involved? My understanding has always been that Al, Carl and Dennis were the only BB's present at Caribou and were asked to put their vocals on the track which they did. How is that a project or collaboration turned down?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:49:23 PM by southbay » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »

Yeah I should have put a ? after the 'Wishing' mention. The wiki page for the song does say the The Beach Boys were present at Caribou and Carl, Al and Dennis only were involved which made me wonder if others had declined. Some other searches say only Carl, Al and Dennis were at Caribou, hence the uncertainty on my part.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »

Gotcha

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »

The eyes have finally gone - which page ?

And no, I don't hear Mike on the low end. Because it isn't Mike.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 12:38:21 AM »

... as I did in my original response, albeit not by title (Bruce was on it, but not officially in the band at the time).  Smiley

One that the artist passed on: David Lee Roth wanted them to do the bvs of his "Just Like Paradise", but insisted Brian be part of the deal. That couldn't be guaranteed, so he withdrew the offer. Shame, coulda been at the worst, amusing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:45:25 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 12:52:55 AM »

Yeah I should have put a ? after the 'Wishing' mention. The wiki page for the song does say the The Beach Boys were present at Caribou and Carl, Al and Dennis only were involved which made me wonder if others had declined. Some other searches say only Carl, Al and Dennis were at Caribou, hence the uncertainty on my part.

Care for a third version ? The session for the bvs was on 11/13/73, give or take, and the band played Denver on the 14th. Cetera knew they were in town, called them to ask if they'd lend a hand, and Mike, Alan & Dennis duly turned up at Caribou. They certainly weren't doing any recording of their own at the ranch, having been on tour since 2/11.

One more potential: I recall seeing a TV show about Elton John, and he mentioned he wrote "Harmony" for the BB, adding "they turned it down, then ended up singing on my version !" (not exactly, but Bruce was past of the choir: caveat - I may be mistaking "Harmony" for "Chameleon", which also had Bruce on it and the bvs for which were recorded at Brother).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:02:02 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 01:13:26 AM »

Care for a third version ? The session for the bvs was on 11/13/73, give or take, and the band played Denver on the 14th. Cetera knew they were in town, called them to ask if they'd lend a hand, and Mike, Alan & Dennis duly turned up at Caribou. They certainly weren't doing any recording of their own at the ranch, having been on tour since 2/11.

One more potential: I recall seeing a TV show about Elton John, and he mentioned he wrote "Harmony" for the BB, adding "they turned it down, then ended up singing on my version !" (not exactly, but Bruce was past of the choir: caveat - I may be mistaking "Harmony" for "Chameleon", which also had Bruce on it and the bvs for which were recorded at Brother).

Not Carl?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 03:52:41 AM »

Which part of "Mike" are you having trouble understanding ?   Smiley

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 04:54:00 AM »

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9800

Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson and Al Jardine of The Beach Boys sang backup on this track.

and

http://www.allmusic.com/album/chicago-vii-mw0000195898/credits

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:03:43 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 04:57:21 AM »

You're right and I'm not only wrong but also a bloody idiot. Apologies.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 05:05:54 AM »

You're right and I'm not only wrong but also a bloody idiot. Apologies.

Jan 24 2016. Mark this day in smiley smile.net history folks! LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »

Been wrong before, admitted it. Nothing new.   Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

One that the artist passed on: David Lee Roth wanted them to do the bvs of his "Just Like Paradise", but insisted Brian be part of the deal. That couldn't be guaranteed, so he withdrew the offer. Shame, coulda been at the worst, amusing.

Really!? (I mean, obviously, really: you wouldn't post that and then when I ask, "really?" say, "oh, no, I made that up for no reason.") I've never heard that before. It's timely, as I've just been revisiting various the guitarist from that band, Steve Vai, for the hard rock thread in the general music forum. (And DLR was quite a favorite of mine around that time, an excitable tween as I was, delighted by triple-necked, heart-shaped guitars and whatnot.) Is this written about somewhere, or were you told it by someone? I'm curious to hear more, if there is more.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »

The eyes have finally gone - which page ?

And no, I don't hear Mike on the low end. Because it isn't Mike.  Smiley

WELL, I HUMBLY STAND CORRECTED--it isn't there. I could have sworn it was, probably because there is a detailed description of the Wipeout session in pages 90-92. However, there is in fact no discussion of Run DMC. I know I read that--which book is that discussion in?

AGD--in terms of Mike's presence on the track, we have Usher's account of him at the ssseion and recording a background part assigned to him by Brian ( presumably a bass part). Why do you think the bass part is not him?  Were you told that or does it just not sound like him to your ears? If not Mike, then who is it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:43:43 AM by southbay » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »

AGD--in terms of Mike's presence on the track, we have Usher's account of him at the ssseion and recording a background part assigned to him by Brian ( presumably a bass part). Why do you think the bass part is not him?  Were you told that or does it just not sound like him to your ears? If not Mike, then who is it?

Usher also states that Bruce & Alan were at the session: do you hear them on the released version any more than I do ? Can't prove it, but I have a strong feeling that Landy commandeered the master and replaced all the other BB vocals with a wall-of-Brians.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »

WELL, I HUMBLY STAND CORRECTED--it isn't there. I could have sworn it was, probably because there is a detailed description of the Wipeout session in pages 90-92. However, there is in fact no discussion of Run DMC. I know I read that--which book is that discussion in?

In my copy of the 2013 edition, the discussion is several pages after the discussion of the Wipeout session, the page headed Monday, March 8 1987. I'm *fairly* sure it was in the earlier edition, too -- afaik the only difference in the 2013 edition is the addition of an introduction and the "Tape #10" material -- but I don't have a copy of that, so can't check.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »

Usher also states that Bruce & Alan were at the session: do you hear them on the released version any more than I do ? Can't prove it, but I have a strong feeling that Landy commandeered the master and replaced all the other BB vocals with a wall-of-Brians.

There's something just so absolutely hilarious about the idea of Landy covertly, under cover of night,  wearing a trenchcoat, sneaking off with a master of Fat Boys audio tape reels…
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 03:02:21 PM »

In my copy of the 2013 edition, the discussion is several pages after the discussion of the Wipeout session, the page headed Monday, March 8 1987. I'm *fairly* sure it was in the earlier edition, too -- afaik the only difference in the 2013 edition is the addition of an introduction and the "Tape #10" material -- but I don't have a copy of that, so can't check.

I can, and I have - you are correct, it is. Usher's recollection is a trifle confused.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »

I can, and I have - you are correct, it is. Usher's recollection is a trifle confused.

Yep, there it is. March 8, 1987. Page 95 of the 1991 edition. I KNEW. I read it😉

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

Really!? (I mean, obviously, really: you wouldn't post that and then when I ask, "really?" say, "oh, no, I made that up for no reason.") I've never heard that before. It's timely, as I've just been revisiting various the guitarist from that band, Steve Vai, for the hard rock thread in the general music forum. (And DLR was quite a favorite of mine around that time, an excitable tween as I was, delighted by triple-necked, heart-shaped guitars and whatnot.) Is this written about somewhere, or were you told it by someone? I'm curious to hear more, if there is more.

Would love if AGD or anyone who knows the background of this would share the story (if there's anything beyond the already stated info to share).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »

It's always sounded like a 'Wall of Brians' to this listener too. Not to mention that the whole schtick of the track matches Brian's sense of humour  Grin .
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:22 PM »

What about Summer of Love with Bart Simpson?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx