gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681026 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 07:55:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What collaborations/projects have the BBs turned down?  (Read 10525 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »

The BBs have done a great many collaborations and projects with a great many collaborators, as well as tons of one-off things on their own. Some things fell through, like the Bart Simpson collab which became Summer in Paradise... but that odd nugget got me thinking: What projects have the band outright said "no" to?

Is there a famous musician who has ever asked to collaborate with the band which the band ever said "no" to? And outside of collaborations, what other projects have the band turned down? (Monterey Pop for example).
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »

Might not count but I thought Terry Jacks submitted Seasons In The Sun and The Beach Boys passed on it.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »

The two that immediately spring to mind are the Monterey Pop Festival and doing bvs for a track on The Wall. They recorded "SITS", with Jacks producing, in August/September 1970, but decided to to release it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »

What about RunDMC?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »

Does the proposed second album by the C50 line-up count? Turned down by certain parties rather than the group.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »

As Rocker mentioned, was the collaboration with The Fat Boys originally planned to be with Run DMC?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:35:31 AM by joe_blow » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »

I'd call that not so much "turned down" as "kinda petered out". I've read several times that The Beatles wanted the BB to do bvs on "Back In The USSR", but couldn't get in touch so did it themselves. As they were on the same label, not sure I believe that...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »

The two that immediately spring to mind are the Monterey Pop Festival and doing bvs for a track on The Wall. They recorded "SITS", with Jacks producing, in August/September 1970, but decided to to release it.

Speaking of SITS, I just don't get the dislike that people have for the BBs' version of that tune. I think it sounds killer, with a rad Carl vocal. Completely solid, and I am baffled that it's not regarded as the lost BB classic that it is.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »

Reputedly, the band canned it because they thought they sounded like choirboys...

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm...  Shocked

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »

Reputedly, the band canned it because they thought they sounded like choirboys...

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm...  Shocked

Hmm... I still think it could have been a modest hit. And they sounded pretty choirboy-esque on Our Prayer and the Christmas album, so I'm not sure that's the whole story of why. Weird.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »

I'd call that not so much "turned down" as "kinda petered out". I've read several times that The Beatles wanted the BB to do bvs on "Back In The USSR", but couldn't get in touch so did it themselves. As they were on the same label, not sure I believe that...
Is your turned down/petered out statement in reference to Run DMC or to a second C50 album?

What's the deal with Run DMC? Never heard of that. Weird pairing, but better than Fat Boys.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »

Just listened to Seasons in the Sun for the first time. I've never liked the Terry Jacks version but I really like the BBs. Carl Wilson's voice makes it less treacley to me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »

Is your turned down/petered out statement in reference to Run DMC or to a second C50 album?

What's the deal with Run DMC? Never heard of that. Weird pairing, but better than Fat Boys.

The Run DMC thing was something I heard from someone who claimed to be in touch with Gary Usher on a regular basis, and whom Usher used to send tapes, including the original Run DMC "Wipe Out". Recently I asked Usher's executor about those claims, and was told that he'd never, ever heard the name I mentioned... which pretty much fit into what else I'd learned of this individual to paint a picture of a liar, a fantasist and a thief. All in all a right bastard of the first order.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »

Just listened to Seasons in the Sun for the first time. I've never liked the Terry Jacks version but I really like the BBs. Carl Wilson's voice makes it less treacley to me.

Very surprised that it hasn't seen official release by this point.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »

The Run DMC thing was something I heard from someone who claimed to be in touch with Gary Usher on a regular basis, and whom Usher used to send tapes, including the original Run DMC "Wipe Out". Recently I asked Usher's executor about those claims, and was told that he'd never, ever heard the name I mentioned... which pretty much fit into what else I'd learned of this individual to paint a picture of a liar, a fantasist and a thief. All in all a right bastard of the first order.
Thanks. Would've been better.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:45:23 PM by Emily » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »

Having Lindsey Buckingham, Val Garey, or Barry Gibb produce an LP in 1982. Although Carl did use WHAT YOU DO TO ME, a song that Val brought to the group for them to record.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »

Again, according to interviews at the time, it just didn't come together: file under "bright idea".  Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »

I'd read, back in the day, that the plan was for Run DMC to do "Wipe Out" with the BBs. For some reason, it happened with the Fat Boys instead, but I never heard it said that there was an original Run DMC take on "Wipe Out".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »

This is surprising. I first read about Run DMC in the Wilson Project book. I think Usher is quoted as saying that. Btw, Usher used to send tapes to McParland. Is it him you're talking about? I thought you were friends.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:44:55 PM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 01:55:21 PM »

This is surprising. I first read about Run DMC in the Wilson Project book. I think Usher is quoted as saying that. Btw, Usher used to send tapes to McParland. Is it him you're talking about? I thought you were friends.

Oh no, no, not SJMcP at all. He was the guy who told me someone was lying.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 01:59:06 PM »

Oh no, no, not SJMcP at all. He was the guy who told me someone was lying.

Oh ok. But I'd swear that Usher is quoted as mentioning Run DMC in the WP book.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »

I just checked... no mention of Run DMC. However, the interesting thing is that Usher evidently recorded Brian, Mike, Alan & Bruce... yet on the released version, all I hear is a wall of Brians.

The version I was told, by the shitweasel McParland had never heard of, was that Usher was expecting to work with a Run DMC master and was astonished to hear The Fat Boys coming out of the speakers. I was further told that this was because Mike had cut a deal on the side with TFB. Now... were this the case, wouldn't Usher have said so, given his frankness in the rest of the book ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:13:35 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »

I just checked... no mention of Run DMC. However, the interesting thing is that Usher evidently recorded Brian, Mike, Alan & Bruce... yet on the released version, all I hear is a wall of Brians.

Afraid I have to correct you -- at least in the 2013 edition. Page 231:

"[Paramount] wanted the Beach Boys to do 'Wipe Out' with Run DMC and to my knowledge it had all been set up with both groups. However, Mike Love had already negotiated a deal where the Beach Boys were going to record the song with The Fat Boys, but he had not told anybody about it"

Paramount was not aware of the previous commitment until Usher contacted the company querying the fact that he had just cut the same song with The Beach Boys and The Fat Boys.

"I told her I thought that The Beach Boys were going to do the song with Run DMC and she said 'They are!' and I replied 'Well why am I putting The Beach Boys' voices on a Fat Boys' version of the song?'...Evidently Mike Love and The Beach Boys had not told her or Paramount about the commitment with The Fat Boys. Becky absolutely went bananas and then even got made at me! I had only done what I had been told to do. I thought the session had been arranged by Paramount. We'd been talking about doing 'Wipe Out' for weeks and so when I received the phone call I figured it was all systems go"

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 02:26:09 PM »

Mine's the 1991 edition...

Corrections welcome, as ever.  Smiley

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 03:36:47 PM »

Of course, there is the infamous failed attempt at getting the High Llama's mastermind Sean O’Hagan to produce a BBs album.

Apparently, Brian had no interest, and Sean wasn't into it either.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:04:06 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx