gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:16:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fall Breaks & Back to Winter  (Read 18885 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »

Why cut it off at 1968, they have had a long career.  Brian will still dominate but why the limited scope?  Or limit it to only composing of music or producing, there was more to making their career?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:03:05 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »

What years would prove to make or break the band? What years were featured on Endless Summer which some have been saying brought the band back into mainstream popularity? What years did the band need hit record after hit record to first establish themselves in the business, then compete with the Beatles and the British Invasion, then continue to be at the top of the charts? Whether some would admit it or say it or not, the years up to 1968 set the band up for the rest of music history. That was the make it or break it years, and they managed to stay on top.

Again, there was one guy in this band who could write the music, arrange the music, and produce the records. This was when it counted. And it's not a knock on the other guys at all to say none of them up to 1968 had the skills or the chops to do what Brian did for them regarding the music which had their name on the label.

That's fact, solid fact.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »

and the other was an instrumental by a band member who was at best was a part time member from 1965 up to the 80's.

That's such a ridiculous statement, I have to challenge it disprove it. From early 1965 to early 1972, Bruce was anything but "at best part time": he was on all the tours (bar Hawaii 1967) and all the albums. He also took it upon himself to fly off to London with a few Pet Sounds acetates. He was a fully functioning Beach Boy. Fact. If that's "part time", then what was Brian during those years ? Casual labour ? Seriously, Craig... Grin

As for 1972-1979, he wasn't even a part-time member, of course.  LOL
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:05:33 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »

What years would prove to make or break the band? What years were featured on Endless Summer which some have been saying brought the band back into mainstream popularity? What years did the band need hit record after hit record to first establish themselves in the business, then compete with the Beatles and the British Invasion, then continue to be at the top of the charts? Whether some would admit it or say it or not, the years up to 1968 set the band up for the rest of music history. That was the make it or break it years, and they managed to stay on top.

Again, there was one guy in this band who could write the music, arrange the music, and produce the records. This was when it counted. And it's not a knock on the other guys at all to say none of them up to 1968 had the skills or the chops to do what Brian did for them regarding the music which had their name on the label.

That's fact, solid fact.

All true imo and I don't think any Beach Boys fan will deny the absolute importance of Brian Wilson's massive talents. On the other hand, Brian wrote and produced for many other groups during the same time and almost none of it caught on at all so it is a fact that there must be much more to the group's success than just Brian's gigantic talents.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »

and the other was an instrumental by a band member who was at best was a part time member from 1965 up to the 80's.

That's such a ridiculous statement, I have to challenge it disprove it. From early 1965 to early 1972, Bruce was anything but "at best part time": he was on all the tours (bar Hawaii 1967) and all the albums. He also took it upon himself to fly off to London with a few Pet Sounds acetates. He was a fully functioning Beach Boy. Fact. If that's "part time", then what was Brian during those years ? Casual labour ? Seriously, Craig... Grin

As for 1972-1979, he wasn't even a part-time member, of course.  LOL

I garbled my comment a bit, what I was focusing on was writing/producing/arranging up to 1968 in the discussion, but seeing the bigger picture too and considering he wasn't a member at all for years at a time as noted in the 70's - I made the picture too big, yes. 1965-68, yes he was of course playing shows and some sessions (kind of like Glen Campbell did) but wouldn't you also say Bruce began taking on more of a prominent and permanent role within the band every year he was a member? By 1968, yeah I'd say he's "all in", no hesitation. Up to that point? Maybe not as much, looking in from the outside. He was still doing other sessions and projects, and how long was Bruce under contract to Columbia?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »

<<The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo>>

Side note... the killer middle period Byrds album, for me, was the Gary Usher-Produced (BB content)... Notorious Byrd Brothers... which managed to combine lush vocals and arrangements with both psychedelic and country material.  Cuts Sweetheart to pieces, in my view.  The Beach Boys' Sunflower classic "All I Wanna Do" would have fit perfectly on Notorious Byrd Brothers... as "Draft Morning" would have fit on Sunflower.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »

Just to throw this out there...am I the only person who refuses to listen to Smiley Smile in anything except for pitch black darkness?

Not quite, but actually my favorite set-up to listen to it is late at night with just some candles lighting the room and while it is snowing outside! Smiley No kidding!!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »

My favorite memory of listening to Smiley is circa 1972 while in the Army. A buddy of mine had a stash of Orange Sunshine and we'd trip occasionally. I'd play Smiley while we all smoked weed to soften the landing, and can still clearly see the ear-to-ear smiles on their faces. Oh yeah, and the album art - which (along with CATP) is the best ever to enclose a BB album - faithfully captures the vivid awareness we experienced of the secret life of plants.

I don't know if it's true, but there was a story told of a clinic somewhere that played it to help people come down from bad trips.

Bad trips or good, I can personally attest to its magical powers.

Which remain undiminished to this day. I don't trip anymore (altho I would, given the right circumstances), but just last week enjoyed my extended version of Smiley while under the influence of some tastey Brownies.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »

My favorite memory of listening to Smiley is circa 1972 while in the Army. A buddy of mine had a stash of Orange Sunshine and we'd trip occasionally. I'd play Smiley while we all smoked weed to soften the landing, and can still clearly see the ear-to-ear smiles on their faces. Oh yeah, and the album art - which (along with CATP) is the best ever to enclose a BB album - faithfully captures the vivid awareness we experienced of the secret life of plants.

I don't know if it's true, but there was a story told of a clinic somewhere that played it to help people come down from bad trips.

Which remain undiminished to this day. I don't trip anymore (altho I would, given the right circumstances), but just last week enjoyed my extended version of Smiley while under the influence of some tastey Brownies.

Stoner
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »

Stoner

I think it makes sense to listen to Smiley in the same altered state the Beach Boys were when recording it!  (except Al of course)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx