gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:40:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Greatest American Rock Band of All Time?  (Read 21639 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2016, 11:55:41 PM »

Thieves!!!  Shocked   Trying to make off with The Band and claiming them as American? Roll Eyes  Really? Huh  And CSN and Y?   Ninja   They're only 50% "American" police

Does that suddenly mean that Jay and the Americans were Canadian? LOL  They were just visiting that "little cafe just the other side of the border"... ... ...IN MEXICO!!! Evil

Tell you what.  You guys can HAVE Justin Beiber.  Ahhh!

What next?  You'll make off with The Guess Who?  BTO?  The 5 Man Electrical Band?  April Wine?  Rush?  Loverboy?  Trooper?  Steppenwolf?  Oh and the LEAD singers from Blood Sweat and Tears [David Clayton Thomas], The Mamas and the Papas [Denny Doherty] ... ... ...?  Canadians.  The Drummers from Mountain [Corky Laing] and 3 Dog Night [Roy Snead] ... ... ...Canadians.  The Guitarists from The Rascals [Gene Cornish] and the Lovin Spoonful [Zal Yanofsky] ... ... ... Canadians.  And that's just part of the big picture.  There's The Tragically Hip, Lighthouse, Crowbar...with a C for Canada...Saga, Triumph,  The Ugly Ducklings, The Trews, Barenaked Ladies, Colin James and the Little Big Band, Great Big Sea, The Jeff Healey Band, Glass Tiger, The Sheepdogs, Blue Rodeo, Red Rider, Max Webster... ... ...and Nickelback...well OK...we won't count THEM. Embarrassed  There's Chilliwack, The Powder Blues...The Downchild Blues Band, McKenna Mendelson Mainline...and we're not even talking about individual Pop icons like Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell or Alanis Morrisette.  Then there's the French [Francophone] side of the Canadian coin.  And it's impressive too.

Music.  Ain't it Grand?   Drinking Buddies
-----------------------------------------

I wonder... ... ...if there's an American band...and by that I mean a REAL American band...that's played in Canada more than the Beach Boys have...including Brian added in as a bonus?  I doubt it.  [I'm not counting those package tours that come through every year with 5 or 6 acts  doing 4 or 5 songs each.  I mean as a full show/as headliners.]  The Beach Boys [and Brian] have always been HUGE up here.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:26:23 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
KDS
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2016, 05:15:49 AM »

Lee,

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any American Band who has played as many shows as The Beach Boys / Brian Wilson. 

I wonder what the ratio is of population who've heard "Fun Fun Fun" in person at least once. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »

What next?  You'll make off with The Guess Who?  BTO?  The 5 Man Electrical Band?  April Wine?  Rush?  Loverboy?  Trooper?  Steppenwolf?  Oh and the LEAD singers from Blood Sweat and Tears [David Clayton Thomas], The Mamas and the Papas [Denny Doherty] ... ... ...?  Canadians.  The Drummers from Mountain [Corky Laing] and 3 Dog Night [Roy Snead] ... ... ...Canadians.  The Guitarists from The Rascals [Gene Cornish] and the Lovin Spoonful [Zal Yanofsky] ... ... ... Canadians.  And that's just part of the big picture.  There's The Tragically Hip, Lighthouse, Crowbar...with a C for Canada...Saga, Triumph,  The Ugly Ducklings, The Trews, Barenaked Ladies, Colin James and the Little Big Band, Great Big Sea, The Jeff Healey Band, Glass Tiger, The Sheepdogs, Blue Rodeo, Red Rider, Max Webster... ... ...and Nickelback...well OK...we won't count THEM. Embarrassed  There's Chilliwack, The Powder Blues...The Downchild Blues Band, McKenna Mendelson Mainline...and we're not even talking about individual Pop icons like Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell or Alanis Morrisette.  Then there's the French [Francophone] side of the Canadian coin.  And it's impressive too.

Boo ya!

Hey, while you're naming contemporary bands, I would throw in the Rheostatics since they are/were, in my view, Canada's Beach Boys. Not that they sounded like the Beach Boys but that they created a kind of Canadian mythological sound in the same way that Brian Wilson articulated California in his music.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »

Currently the #1 voted American band is....other!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

I guess if a Canadian can run for the U.S. presidency then Canadians can be in the "greatest American rock band'.  On the other hand, isn't Canada part of North AMERICA??  And aren't national borders just so passé (sarc).
KDS
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »

Currently the #1 voted American band is....other!

Probably because Van Halen wasn't an option. 

Smiley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:44 PM »

Thieves!!!  Shocked   Trying to make off with The Band and claiming them as American? Roll Eyes  Really? Huh  And CSN and Y?   Ninja   They're only 50% "American" police

Does that suddenly mean that Jay and the Americans were Canadian? LOL  They were just visiting that "little cafe just the other side of the border"... ... ...IN MEXICO!!! Evil

I wonder... ... ...if there's an American band...and by that I mean a REAL American band...that's played in Canada more than the Beach Boys have...including Brian added in as a bonus?  I doubt it.  [I'm not counting those package tours that come through every year with 5 or 6 acts  doing 4 or 5 songs each.  I mean as a full show/as headliners.]  The Beach Boys [and Brian] have always been HUGE up here.  Cool Guy

Don't forget Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Leslie Feist, Stars, Metric, Rheostatics, Sloan, Tegan and Sara, Bourbon Tabernacle Choir, Moxy Fruvous...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2016, 06:16:52 PM »

Don't forget Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Leslie Feist, Stars, Metric, Rheostatics, Sloan, Tegan and Sara, Bourbon Tabernacle Choir, Moxy Fruvous...

Have you heard about the Rheostatics reunion?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »

Once they're done with Canada, can someone list all the US bands please thanks
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx