gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:07:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Greatest American Rock Band of All Time?  (Read 21615 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2016, 12:53:41 AM »

Erm, what about The Miracles or The Temptations or The Four Tops or The Supremes?
Rock bands?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:49 AM »

I guess the problem is at the end of the day "GREATEST" is subjective.
A great musician or singer is a little easier to list. Also it's tricky when there's a mix of talent levels for ex. I like Steely Dan's music but Fagen's voice, to me, is ugly.

Nirvana left me cold but it's just individual opinion.

With some obvious exceptions, always thought they were four guys in search of a good song, especially when they were only three. The Doors leave me cold; CCR have some great songs and then they have some great variations on those songs and then they have some variations...; as for Mr Reed, I love his New York album and I love the early Velvets but the 'experimental' stuff does nothing for me. I think you might have a case for Zappa, but maybe he was too obtuse for a lot of people. The Byrds? Not really. It's not like I don't like this stuff (with the exception of The Doors), I just don't think they're on the same level as Brian and the Boys in terms of invention and hooks and melody. I know they're largely Canadian, but, for all their career was pretty short, I'd take The Band over any of the above, with The Beach Boys and Steely Dan ahead of them. If I could limit my Springsteen output to Born to Run tthough Tunnel of Love, I'd have him on my list, but then - despite his band - we're heading into singer-songwriter territory where, for me, Dylan, Simon and Newman are out in front (and Mitchell and Young - though I far prefer the former - if we're allowing Canadians).

I can see how you might feel that way. My wife thinks his voice is ugly too.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2016, 03:55:26 AM »

Elvis's early band Bill Black, Scotty Moore & D.J. Fontana.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »

Erm, what about The Miracles or The Temptations or The Four Tops or The Supremes?
Rock bands?
They are groups, but not really bands, as they did not play instruments; not really rock, I would call their music soul.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

Elvis's early band Bill Black, Scotty Moore & D.J. Fontana.
Sure.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »

Rock bands?
They are groups, but not really bands, as they did not play instruments; not really rock, I would call their music soul.

Some of them did play instruments but what about, say, The Mamas and the Papas? Would they count or not because most of the members didn't play instruments?

I suppose my issue is perhaps with the genre classification. I wonder why it makes sense to pair up The Beach Boys, KISS, and Metallica and not The Beach Boys, The Temptations and The Four Tops. Because to me, if you are going to group together bands based on similarities, the latter makes far more sense than the former. What's more, I'd say that The Beach Boys could be as soulful as those bands, and those bands had as many rock elements in them as just about any of the bands in this list.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:34:26 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »

Why do these polls always have such an obsessive definition of "American"? You know, there's two whole continents of America, not just the United States.

I don't see why The Band, or hell, even something like Los Lobos shouldn't be counted just because they're a few miles across a border.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »

Doors recorded six official studio albums with Jim and a few more after he died

In addition to the six studio albums with Jim, there was Absolutely Live (1970), which eventually became part of the excellent double CD, In Concert. While the two studio albums without Jim, Other Voices (1971) and Full Circle (1972) were not up to previous standards for obvious reasons, the music still showcased "the band" as well as the individual talents of Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek, and John Densmore.

The later Bright Midnight Archives features some of The Doors' concerts from 1967-1970, and really shows what the band was capable of on a pretty consistent basis. Many of the "history books" will write that there was a decline post-Miami in 1969, but these live concerts, in my opinion, shows the band actually getting tighter and coming into their own. And, while Jim's behavior was reason for concern due to his alcoholism, I find the overwhelming number of his live performances to be outstanding.

I vote for The Doors.   
I consider 1970 to be their peak as a live band.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2016, 05:35:17 AM »

Doors recorded six official studio albums with Jim and a few more after he died

In addition to the six studio albums with Jim, there was Absolutely Live (1970), which eventually became part of the excellent double CD, In Concert. While the two studio albums without Jim, Other Voices (1971) and Full Circle (1972) were not up to previous standards for obvious reasons, the music still showcased "the band" as well as the individual talents of Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek, and John Densmore.

The later Bright Midnight Archives features some of The Doors' concerts from 1967-1970, and really shows what the band was capable of on a pretty consistent basis. Many of the "history books" will write that there was a decline post-Miami in 1969, but these live concerts, in my opinion, shows the band actually getting tighter and coming into their own. And, while Jim's behavior was reason for concern due to his alcoholism, I find the overwhelming number of his live performances to be outstanding.

I vote for The Doors.   
I consider 1970 to be their peak as a live band.

I agree.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »

Why do these polls always have such an obsessive definition of "American"? You know, there's two whole continents of America, not just the United States.

I don't see why The Band, or hell, even something like Los Lobos shouldn't be counted just because they're a few miles across a border.

As in "The Americas"----good point. At the risk of being pelted with offal, this is my revised list:

The Beach Boys
The Magic Band/Captain Beefheart
The Band
The Mothers of Invention/Frank Zappa
The Velvet Underground   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »

All right, in discussing the best "Greatest American Rock Band," we've now questioned the definitions or wisdom of criteria for each of the four words involved. What is greatest? Why (or what is) American? What is rock? What is (or why stick to) a band?

And that's why these polls exist: because we go on about them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »

Greatest AMERICAN rock band? Well, who could be more AMERICAN than Paul Revere and the Raiders?
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 12:21:05 AM »

The Ventures should be on a list like this.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:19 PM »

I agree, but I'm biased - I'm from the Northwest.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:59 AM »

How in the world did Van Halen not even make the list?

Definitely agree. Eddie alone was one of the most innovative guitarists of the late 70's early 80's - and I do not have to go into why. Thousands of people learned to play guitar because of him and his influence is all over the 80's music.  To add to that, they have tremendously catchy songs (especially Roth-era) that are instantly recognizable. Love him or hate Roth, he was a great showman.
KDS
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »

How in the world did Van Halen not even make the list?

Definitely agree. Eddie alone was one of the most innovative guitarists of the late 70's early 80's - and I do not have to go into why. Thousands of people learned to play guitar because of him and his influence is all over the 80's music.  To add to that, they have tremendously catchy songs (especially Roth-era) that are instantly recognizable. Love him or hate Roth, he was a great showman.

Roth is still a great showman.  He just struggles with the vox these days.  I think Van Halen was a major force with both Roth and Hagar.  Granted, the Van Hagar stuff wasn't as innovative, but it's still really good hard rock. 

I'm a fan of Extreme, and I think the Gary Cherone thing COULD HAVE worked if done right.  But, the songs just stunk. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 11:53:58 AM »

To say nothing of The Sonics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpActuZbGc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »

The originators of grunge!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2016, 09:16:10 PM »

What about Booker T and the MGs? Coasters? ? and the Mysterians? The Four Seasons? Replacements?  Sonic Youth? Pixies? Pavement? Bikini Kill? Sly and the Family Stone? Blondie? Talking Heads? Phish? Neutral Milk Hotel?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »

What about Booker T and the MGs? Coasters? ? and the Mysterians? The Four Seasons? Replacements?  Sonic Youth? Pixies? Pavement? Bikini Kill? Sly and the Family Stone? Blondie? Talking Heads? Phish? Neutral Milk Hotel?
What about the Ventures? Platters? Count Five? Four Tops? Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Foo Fighters? Posies? Flypaper? the RF's? Tower of Power? Cheap Trick? Devo? Persay? Third Flight?
KDS
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2016, 05:34:55 AM »

Not the greatest, but I think Blue Oyster Cult should at least be in the conversation.

The band is so much more than Don't Fear the Reaper, Godzilla, and the cow bell.  Their first five albums are amazing.  Their early 80s output with Martin Birch producing is almost as good. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »

Interesting. I read elsewhere that it's Nirvana (who I do not tolerate).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »

The Sonics were 60s. So they had 3 decades on Nirvana (a very overrated band IMO).
KDS
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2016, 05:11:38 AM »

The Sonics were 60s. So they had 3 decades on Nirvana (a very overrated band IMO).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nirvana is overrated.  It's been 25 years, and I still don't understand the attraction.  And, no offense to any of their fans, but IMO, I highly doubt they would be placed so highly on so many lists of rock bands had Kurt Cobain had not died when they and grunge were at their peak. 
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2016, 05:29:14 AM »

One of the numerous overrated bands caused by the death of their lead singer.   Ray is another example, Brian got screwed by his death if you care about awards anyway

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nirvana is overrated.  It's been 25 years, and I still don't understand the attraction.  And, no offense to any of their fans, but IMO, I highly doubt they would be placed so highly on so many lists of rock bands had Kurt Cobain had not died when they and grunge were at their peak. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx