gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:38:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Greatest American Rock Band of All Time?  (Read 21635 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »

The Ventures should be on a list like this.
I agree, but I'm biased - I'm from the Northwest.

To say nothing of The Sonics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpActuZbGc
The originators of grunge!
Interesting. I read elsewhere that it's Nirvana (who I do not tolerate).
The Sonics were 60s. So they had 3 decades on Nirvana (a very overrated band IMO).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nirvana is overrated.  It's been 25 years, and I still don't understand the attraction.  And, no offense to any of their fans, but IMO, I highly doubt they would be placed so highly on so many lists of rock bands had Kurt Cobain had not died when they and grunge were at their peak. 

The Leadbelly and Vaselines covers are pretty much the only songs by them that I can stand to listen to.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »

The Ventures should be on a list like this.
I agree, but I'm biased - I'm from the Northwest.

To say nothing of The Sonics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpActuZbGc
The originators of grunge!
Interesting. I read elsewhere that it's Nirvana (who I do not tolerate).
The Sonics were 60s. So they had 3 decades on Nirvana (a very overrated band IMO).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nirvana is overrated.  It's been 25 years, and I still don't understand the attraction.  And, no offense to any of their fans, but IMO, I highly doubt they would be placed so highly on so many lists of rock bands had Kurt Cobain had not died when they and grunge were at their peak. 
Early death does much to elevate the popularity of rock and rollers. I mean - and I don't mean to diss any of the following, who were all great in their own way - but why is Buddy Holly revered much more today than, say, the Everly Brothers or Rick Nelson? There's a mystique attached to the Jim Morrison's and Jimi Hendrix's of the world because they left us early. If you stick around for a long time, eventually the public sees you trip and fall.
KDS
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2016, 06:08:12 AM »

Very true LS,

This is one of the reasons The Beach Boys aren't as revered as The Beatles.  The Beatles called it a day in 1970 with few blemishes on their record. 

Same goes for Led Zeppelin over The Who and Deep Purple. 

Nothing against The Beatles or Led Zeppelin, as both are great bands, but they did their legacy a great favor by packing it in early. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2016, 06:43:52 AM »

It's the old show biz axiom: leave the audience wanting more. Worked for George Costanza.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2016, 12:34:42 PM »

Very true LS,

This is one of the reasons The Beach Boys aren't as revered as The Beatles.  The Beatles called it a day in 1970 with few blemishes on their record. 

Nothing against The Beatles or Led Zeppelin, as both are great bands, but they did their legacy a great favor by packing it in early. 
Yes, that is true. Although I am glad our Boys continued and gave us a few more good records, and the opportunity to see them in concert.
KDS
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »

Very true LS,

Yes, that is true. Although I am glad our Boys continued and gave us a few more good records, and the opportunity to see them in concert.

I agree.  Same with The Who and Deep Purple. 

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »

The Beach Boys were The Greatest American Band Of All Time™ from 1962 to 1980, after which R.E.M. took that title.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2016, 10:15:17 PM »

The Beach Boys were The Greatest American Band Of All Time™ from 1962 to 1980, after which R.E.M. took that title.

There's some math humor for ya, folks.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »

There's some math humor for ya, folks.
Thanks, I'll be here all week, Tuesday to Friday!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2016, 05:24:17 AM »

I think Ronnie James Dio deserves a mention as a great American artist. 

He's always had Europeans in his band though, so that's why his name never comes up in these lists.  (ie. Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Vivian Campbell). 
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2016, 05:57:33 AM »

Greatest american rock band?

1) THE BAND !!!!

2) Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
3) The Mothers of Invention (even though they weren't really a band, more like Zappa and a bunch of other musicians)
4) The Doors
5) The Beach Boys
6) Creedence Clearwater Revival

Talking Heads? Are they a ROCK band or not?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2016, 06:05:58 AM »

Talking Heads? Are they a ROCK band or not?

It's that word "rock" getting in the way again. In fact I deleted it from the title to this post. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »

Then there's the 'band.' I suppose that precludes Motown artists and post-Motown Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, Elvis, Aretha, James Brown, Prince (unless one counts the Revolution)?
KDS
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »

The poll cited in the OP says "Greatest American Rock Band." 

I would consider The Talking Heads rock, but not the Motown, Soul, R&B stuff. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »

I was responding to John K dropping the 'rock'. To me, it's a pretty arbitrary category, as is 'band'. Neither can be firmly defined which makes any answer to the question debatable not just on the word 'greatest', which I think is meant to be the point, but also on 'rock' and 'band'. Those terms just render the whole exercise pointless. Too many variables.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »

1) THE BAND !!!!

Did we annex Canada? Or is this being interpreted by continent instead of country? (The band was, what, 4/5 Canadian?)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 07:31:35 AM »

I was responding to John K dropping the 'rock'. To me, it's a pretty arbitrary category, as is 'band'. Neither can be firmly defined which makes any answer to the question debatable not just on the word 'greatest', which I think is meant to be the point, but also on 'rock' and 'band'. Those terms just render the whole exercise pointless. Too many variables.

This is my real answer

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2016, 07:33:10 AM »

1) THE BAND !!!!

Did we annex Canada? Or is this being interpreted by continent instead of country? (The band was, what, 4/5 Canadian?)

To be incredibly nit-picky, Canada is American but I recognize that's not how most people think of it and that America tends to be a short form of United States of America.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:34:07 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
KDS
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 07:37:10 AM »

1) THE BAND !!!!

To be incredibly nit-picky, Canada is American but I recognize that's not how most people think of it and that America tends to be a short form of United States of America.

That would explain the exclusion of Neil Young and Rush. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »

1) THE BAND !!!!

So 'American' is debatable as well.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2016, 07:45:19 AM »

1) THE BAND !!!!

I say we tackle "Time" next!
KDS
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »

Semantics

"Some antics???  I'm always up for some antics." 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »

1) THE BAND !!!!

I say we tackle "Time" next!

Excellent! For example, pre-Big Bang, was there a universe in which life, and music, developed? If so, do those bands count? Because as I understand it, that exists outside of time, time and space being intertwined and beginning at BB (even if there were predecessors or others). Fucking physics always ruins rock music polls.

KDS
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »

Physics and Nirvana.

Nirvana - Throwing a wretch into every music poll done since April 1994. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »

If band can be one person, then I want to revise my list to be:
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Bob Dylan
Elvis Presley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx