gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:43:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Live At Paramount NYC 11/26/1993 Unplugged Tour  (Read 28533 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 09:39:42 AM »

Interestingly, as I recall, on the "rehearsal" tape that is extant for that tour, Mike is not present. They just do the stuff with no Mike vocals (e.g. just at three part harmony on "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring").

Mike isn't present, but I'm fairly sure there's actually four-part harmony on the rehearsal version of Hearts -- Al, Carl, Bruce, and Matt. I can't listen to my copy currently to check, though.

I haven't listened to it super recently, but my recollection is that Bruce did the falsetto (or highest anyway) part as he did in the actual concert performance.

If they were actually rehearsing it for the tour, I figure Bruce would want to sing the same part that he would be singing in concert. It wouldn't do as much good to have Matt singing Bruce's part, Bruce singing the part below that (Carl's or Al's), and then everybody in the stack would potentially have to change their part (unless Matt wanted to sing Mike's low part).

The only way to effectively rehearse it without Mike there would be to either leave Mike's part out, or have someone else sing Mike's part. My recollection is that there is no "bass" part on the rehearsal tape. I suppose it's possible Matt doubled Bruce's part or sang it instead of Bruce. But my recollection is that Al, Carl, and Bruce simply sing their three parts and leave the bass out.

I believe that is how it went for most the parts in the rehearsals wheile I was listening to it here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRUadoFkdhgSaMuGPnvu7dEL

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »

Interestingly, as I recall, on the "rehearsal" tape that is extant for that tour, Mike is not present. They just do the stuff with no Mike vocals (e.g. just at three part harmony on "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring").

Mike isn't present, but I'm fairly sure there's actually four-part harmony on the rehearsal version of Hearts -- Al, Carl, Bruce, and Matt. I can't listen to my copy currently to check, though.

I haven't listened to it super recently, but my recollection is that Bruce did the falsetto (or highest anyway) part as he did in the actual concert performance.

If they were actually rehearsing it for the tour, I figure Bruce would want to sing the same part that he would be singing in concert. It wouldn't do as much good to have Matt singing Bruce's part, Bruce singing the part below that (Carl's or Al's), and then everybody in the stack would potentially have to change their part (unless Matt wanted to sing Mike's low part).

The only way to effectively rehearse it without Mike there would be to either leave Mike's part out, or have someone else sing Mike's part. My recollection is that there is no "bass" part on the rehearsal tape. I suppose it's possible Matt doubled Bruce's part or sang it instead of Bruce. But my recollection is that Al, Carl, and Bruce simply sing their three parts and leave the bass out.

My memory has Matt singing Mike's part, but you may well be correct (I can't listen to the YouTube copy as I'm at work).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 10:16:21 AM »

This show has the best version of Summer in Paradise I've ever heard... with a stop the show sax solo by Richie Cannata.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »

This might be the last truly great show the group did prior to the 2012 reunion. This "box set tour" might have been the last really great period with Carl still in the group.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »

I've always wanted to hear the Rehearsals for that tour; heard much about them and I anticipated a lot. They were great. It's such a shame that between the Rehearsals and the actual sound board Paramount recording, that neither has been officially released. Could be some of the best live recordings they ever did, and Al and Carl in particular shine.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »

I've always wanted to hear the Rehearsals for that tour; heard much about them and I anticipated a lot. They were great. It's such a shame that between the Rehearsals and the actual sound board Paramount recording, that neither has been officially released. Could be some of the best live recordings they ever did, and Al and Carl in particular shine.

I wonder if there would be hesitation to do so since Brian isn't included???
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »

I believe that is how it went for most the parts in the rehearsals wheile I was listening to it here

There's three parts on THWFOS. No one is taking Mike's.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:08 AM »

Thought You guys Might enjoy this! It is the full concert in great quality as if it was on an official album! The Concert was to promote the new Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of The Beach Boys album.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRUuAhzh3pLViUaa210mIYhR

Don't forget to check out all of my rare live songs and other unreleased songs and alternate beach boys material!  

And here are the rehearsals!

Thanks so much for that!  Now, that is a setlist.

Matt is great on vocals, and the rarities! Yikes!

Thanks again!  Wink
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:07 AM »

There's three parts on THWFOS. No one is taking Mike's.

Yep. I was misremembering.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 07:43:42 AM »

Carl's beautiful vocals on Darlin', All This Is That tag, God Only Knows. Good gosh.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »

Very enjoyable listen. One thing I never quite got is how slow Carl chose to perform some of the rockers for many years. Fun fun fun, Shut Down, many others. Why was this?

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »

good question! But its nice getting all of those songs at so many different paces to enjoy thought out the years.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »

Thought You guys Might enjoy this! It is the full concert in great quality as if it was on an official album! The Concert was to promote the new Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of The Beach Boys album.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRUuAhzh3pLViUaa210mIYhR

Don't forget to check out all of my rare live songs and other unreleased songs and alternate beach boys material!  

And here are the rehearsals!

Thanks so much for that!  Now, that is a setlist.

Matt is great on vocals, and the rarities! Yikes!

Thanks again!  Wink

Yes it should be very easy to read your welcom
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »

Very enjoyable listen. One thing I never quite got is how slow Carl chose to perform some of the rockers for many years. Fun fun fun, Shut Down, many others. Why was this?

Yes. So slow! I had no idea until I heard this
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:13 AM »

Had a good listen today. Love the rare tracks.

Sad to say but the decline in Bruce's voice since is very noticeable.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »

Had a good listen today. Love the rare tracks.

Sad to say but the decline in Bruce's voice since is very noticeable.

Glad you liked the concert and all my other rare and alternate tracks!

Yes I agree. Bruce had such a great voice at this concert but really started going down hill in the 2000's. He doesn't sing very often now days. maybe one or two songs a concert. I was at a concert in 2013 and Bruce did a great job on leads on Summer Means Fun!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »

Back in 2012 many of us remarked how good Bruce still sounds. I don't think he's lost much-- but I do think that he gets hoarse pretty easily and this has on and off nights.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »

Mike on the other hand sounds much better today than he did then. Way too many nasal flat notes. Carl and Al were singing circles around him at that point.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

I was always a fan of Carl playing the Gibson, just preferred that heavier, fatter sound than what the guys get now on the Fenders, including David on the 2012 tour. Probably heresy since the recordings were done with Fenders and that is the BB "sound", but that's just me.

Highlights here for me include Carl on Darlin', Caroline, No, GOK (better than Knebworth),  Carl and Al's harmonies on In My Room and Surfer Girl. If you get to hear the rehearsals, the bit where Al (who else)  flubs the line on Add Some Music causing Carl to break up is a great behind the scenes moment, the kind of stuff you know is out there that you wish we had more of.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 02:44:36 AM »

Bruce doesn't sing much live now, hence the reason his voice might be weaker.  I remember around 2001 he was apologising for his voice being off on God Only Knows as people were commenting on it.  The other thing is that age can also weaken and thin the voice. There are exceptions such as Al and probably Carl would still have the power.  When I Listen to the Paramount stuff and the rehearsals a question comes in to my mind.

Which version of the Beach Boys sounds like more like the Beach Boys?  The Paramount era or C50?  Which one would you choose?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 03:42:23 AM »

Bruce doesn't sing much live now, hence the reason his voice might be weaker. 

Bruce actually sings a fair bit. Looking at a typical setlist (the Hampton Park shows from 2014 -- rather than a super-long set like last year's), he sang lead on Surfer Girl, Please Let Me Wonder, Disney Girls, and Do You Wanna Dance, joint leads on Sloop John B, Kiss Me Baby, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring and Kokomo, and prominent harmony parts all over the rest.
The only recent time that Bruce has gone back to the old "adjust the mic, wave hands in the air, don't play or sing much"  thing he used to do in the early 90s is during the 2012 tour, when there wasn't as much for him to do.

As to your question about which tour "sounded more like the Beach Boys", it depends what you mean by "sounded like", I think. Just in terms of the vocal blend, the early 90s band wins hands down -- it only really sounds like the Beach Boys to me if you have Al and Carl in the middle of the stack, and Matt sounded very like a young Brian. The 2012 band sang all the parts, more accurately than the early-90s one, but frankly most of the time the harmony stack was dominated by the backing band -- Al's voice always cut through, and you could hear Mike most of the time, but Brian and Bruce's contributions to the harmonies might as well not have been there (and I don't think David's *were* there -- I'm pretty sure his mic wasn't in the mix for most songs).

Instrumentally and arrangement-wise, I think the 2012 band wins hands down. There was none of the cutting out the difficult bits, none of the slowing tempos down to half what they should be, none of the horrible Casio-sounding keyboard pads, and they had the best live drummer I've ever seen, rather than the worst. I don't think there's any real question that Brian's band are stunning, and Scott T and John Cowsill are both astonishingly good as well. I think both touring bands now sound far more "like the Beach Boys" in that sense than any version of the band after the early 1970s at the latest, and the combination in 2012 was jaw-droppingly good. (I've often said that what upset me about the 2012 tour ending wasn't that Mike and Brian wouldn't be performing together, but that I wouldn't get to see Cowsill drumming while Nelson Bragg added percussion, or hear Scott T and Probyn playing together).

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »

The 2012 band sang all the parts, more accurately than the early-90s one, but frankly most of the time the harmony stack was dominated by the backing band -- Al's voice always cut through, and you could hear Mike most of the time, but Brian and Bruce's contributions to the harmonies might as well not have been there (and I don't think David's *were* there -- I'm pretty sure his mic wasn't in the mix for most songs).

RAH 2012...Little Girl I Once Knew and Why Do Fools Fall In Love, even on cel video I hear Brian and Bruce cutting through just fine. Little Girl especially, as Brian sings lead on the verses you can then hear how his voice falls into the vocal stack. Why Do Fools as well, Brian is doing a specific part in the stack and you can hear it cut through. Bruce's voice is distinct, I hear him in there no problem.

Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70H4KOqCYg
Little Girl at 14:30, Why Do Fools around 35:00

Wembley 2012, the Forever and God Only Knows tribute performances. Brian (and Bruce) audible in the stack, and like Brian with Little Girl, as soon as Bruce hits that famous coda on GOK, you hear where his voice has been in the stack all along for the mix that night.

Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2FY1qZWL40&feature=youtu.be

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »

The 2012 band sang all the parts, more accurately than the early-90s one, but frankly most of the time the harmony stack was dominated by the backing band -- Al's voice always cut through, and you could hear Mike most of the time, but Brian and Bruce's contributions to the harmonies might as well not have been there (and I don't think David's *were* there -- I'm pretty sure his mic wasn't in the mix for most songs).

RAH 2012...Little Girl I Once Knew and Why Do Fools Fall In Love, even on cel video I hear Brian and Bruce cutting through just fine. Little Girl especially, as Brian sings lead on the verses you can then hear how his voice falls into the vocal stack. Why Do Fools as well, Brian is doing a specific part in the stack and you can hear it cut through. Bruce's voice is distinct, I hear him in there no problem.

Wembley 2012, the Forever and God Only Knows tribute performances. Brian (and Bruce) audible in the stack, and like Brian with Little Girl, as soon as Bruce hits that famous coda on GOK, you hear where his voice has been in the stack all along for the mix that night.

Oh, I'm not saying they weren't there, weren't in the mix, or anything like that. Just that compared to the early 90s show where there were only I think six vocalists ( the four Beach Boys plus Matt Jardine and Billy Hinsche), the thirteen vocalists on stage meant that Brian and Bruce weren't a big part of the harmony sound.  At the shows I was at (the Wembley show and the two Italian ones) they were definitely in the harmony stack when not singing lead, but were mostly not a major part of it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »

Oh, I'm not saying they weren't there, weren't in the mix, or anything like that. Just that compared to the early 90s show where there were only I think six vocalists ( the four Beach Boys plus Matt Jardine and Billy Hinsche), the thirteen vocalists on stage meant that Brian and Bruce weren't a big part of the harmony sound.  At the shows I was at (the Wembley show and the two Italian ones) they were definitely in the harmony stack when not singing lead, but were mostly not a major part of it.

I may not be getting what your suggesting here, but a harmony stack is supposed to be a blend of all the voices coming together so that not one or another part stands out too much on its own. I guess my read on it is you said you didn't hear enough Bruce or Brian in the harmony blend to suggest they might as well not have been there, yet they are audible in that blend but not standing out, and doing what singers as part of a harmony blend do by design.

Help me out with this!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 09:43:18 AM »

Cmon guys-- 2012 didn't have Carl. It ain't hard.

Old Brian+Foskett<Carl
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx