gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:23:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Live At Paramount NYC 11/26/1993 Unplugged Tour  (Read 28536 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »

Thought You guys Might enjoy this! It is the full concert in great quality as if it was on an official album! The Concert was to promote the new Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of The Beach Boys album.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRUuAhzh3pLViUaa210mIYhR

Don't forget to check out all of my rare live songs and other unreleased songs and alternate beach boys material!  

And here are the rehearsals!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvRRaqL2VXRUadoFkdhgSaMuGPnvu7dEL
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:24:22 AM by The_Beach » Logged
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »

Thanks for sharing, this is most excellent.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »

+1   Smiley
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »

Wow, thanks for linking that. I Saw them the next night. What a fantastic tour.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:14:38 AM »

Other than C50, I'd say this was probably the best post-1975 tour/show they ever put together.

It would be nearly perfect were it not for the sub-par drums and, though unavoidable, the rather late 80s-sounding synths/keyboards.

I think there's an audience recording from a few days prior (11/21 in PA?) that might be a slightly better performance (Al totally kills it on "You Still Believe In Me"), but obviously the NYC soundboard has much better sound quality (to the point of being dry and having little audience noise at all).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »

I really like the 1980 Knebworth show with the full band w/ Dennis & Brian & Carl.

Other than C50, I'd say this was probably the best post-1975 tour/show they ever put together.

It would be nearly perfect were it not for the sub-par drums and, though unavoidable, the rather late 80s-sounding synths/keyboards.

I think there's an audience recording from a few days prior (11/21 in PA?) that might be a slightly better performance (Al totally kills it on "You Still Believe In Me"), but obviously the NYC soundboard has much better sound quality (to the point of being dry and having little audience noise at all).

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »

I plan on posting all the rare rehearsals tomorrow so stay tuned to my channel! the rehearsals are of the rare songs played at the concert!

Very good recording from being from the 90's
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »

Have wanted to hear this for awhile. Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a safe way to store these clips? I use to use iLivid but I have removed it due to a computer meltdown.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
I like to use this site to get the file of the song!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »

I really like the 1980 Knebworth show with the full band w/ Dennis & Brian & Carl.

Definitely. I'm probably a bigger fan of the 1980 iteration of the touring band than anyone. The Knebworth and DC shows from 1980 are some of my all-time favorites, and only partially for nostalgic reasons.

The DC 1980 show is actually better in some ways than Knebworth. I think Knebworth has a little more spunk, especially Dennis. But the DC version of "Keepin' the Summer Alive" is much better.

I also give the 1980 version of the band props for being perhaps the last time that actual Beach Boys (6) outnumbered backing band guys (3) on stage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »

Agreed about the 1980 band, in my mind the last time the BB were a rock and roll band. After that, they became an oldies band. I would say 83 and 88 have their moments, but 93 was the best tour post 1980.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/
I like to use this site to get the file of the song!

I've been having this message only for several hours...

There is some Maintenance going on. All our Servers are in read-only mode.
Please try again within the next hour.

This normal?

edit..

Seem to have it sorted. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:34:54 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »

Agreed about the 1980 band, in my mind the last time the BB were a rock and roll band. After that, they became an oldies band. I would say 83 and 88 have their moments, but 93 was the best tour post 1980.
When did oldies not be rock n roll anymore? I'm confused. Except for the couple of KTSA tunes, these are the same songs they have played throughout their career. They did lose their edge afterward, but geez, Brian gets praised for playing the songs close to the record. This is basically what the Beach Boys began doing around 83 or so.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »

I don't mean oldies in the sense of the set list, perhaps lounge act sound is a better term. There was an energy and edge to the songs up until about 1980. After that, the harmonies changed when they started bringing in other falsetto singers, the mix became more keyboard heavy, the tempos slowed down especially after Dennis passed away.  It becomes more plastic. The songs are still awesome, there is just something different. I personally don't prefer the tighter, keyboard heavy mix where the songs sound too close to the record.  Certainly not everyone will agree, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:28:31 PM by tpesky » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »

Throughout the 70's, Carl updated the older songs. One listen to In Concert you can hear the difference. They kept updating the old tunes until Carl left the band. Upon his return they started doing the songs closer to the original arrangements. I guess to make them sound more authentic. I'm with you though, I like the edgier arrangements and updated sounds. The shows that I attended in 1972 through 1974 and in 1980 were exceptionally good and rocked the house.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:22 AM »

I think the 1977 shows were, on a good day, as good as the band ever did prior to 2012 (though I sadly only have recorded evidence, not having been born til 1978). All five core Beach Boys, a set that still included early-70s stuff like Sail On Sailor, Feel Flows, and All This Is That, a lot of Love You stuff, and one of the best touring bands, with Billy, Ed, and Bobby plus Charles Lloyd.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 04:34:25 AM »

This is wonderful! I have the Valley Forge performance on CD that was made a couple days around the time of this show. It's great, though it's not nearly as clear as this sound board recording. Yours is great! Tx for posting.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 05:38:02 AM »

Yeah, this is great to have! Carl's voice was finally showing signs of age (not that it mattered, as it was still the best voice ever). Loved the blend on "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" even though I missed Brian on the falsetto.

Definitely a weaker overall performance than Knebworth-- it's just a little plodding, I suppose. The band seems to go through the motions on the usual setlist stuff, but they seem to really enjoy playing the deep cuts.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »

Yeah, this is great to have! Carl's voice was finally showing signs of age (not that it mattered, as it was still the best voice ever). Loved the blend on "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" even though I missed Brian on the falsetto.

Definitely a weaker overall performance than Knebworth-- it's just a little plodding, I suppose. The band seems to go through the motions on the usual setlist stuff, but they seem to really enjoy playing the deep cuts.

True, I'd say the "meat and potatoes" portion of the NYC Paramount show is fine, but not extra remarkable. If you cut the "rare" stuff out, it would just sound like a typical solid 90s gig.

I think they did enjoy the rarities more, especially Al and Carl.

Interestingly, as I recall, on the "rehearsal" tape that is extant for that tour, Mike is not present. They just do the stuff with no Mike vocals (e.g. just at three part harmony on "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring").

I also recall thinking it was funny that they were doing the "rarities" set ostensibly to promote the '93 GV boxed set, yet they did "Take a Load Off Your Feet" which isn't even on the box.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »

True, I'd say the "meat and potatoes" portion of the NYC Paramount show is fine, but not extra remarkable. If you cut the "rare" stuff out, it would just sound like a typical solid 90s gig.

I think they did enjoy the rarities more, especially Al and Carl.

Interestingly, as I recall, on the "rehearsal" tape that is extant for that tour, Mike is not present. They just do the stuff with no Mike vocals (e.g. just at three part harmony on "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring").

I also recall thinking it was funny that they were doing the "rarities" set ostensibly to promote the '93 GV boxed set, yet they did "Take a Load Off Your Feet" which isn't even on the box.

Here are the Rehearsals you are talking about! Give it a listen to see if you can hear mike or not!

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I've been enjoying this while working this morning. Is it Matt Jardine on falsettos for this tour?
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 08:55:38 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I've been enjoying this while working this morning. Is it Matt Jardine on falsettos for this tour?

Yes, it was Matt
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »

Mike isn't present, but I'm fairly sure there's actually four-part harmony on the rehearsal version of Hearts -- Al, Carl, Bruce, and Matt. I can't listen to my copy currently to check, though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »

Mike isn't present, but I'm fairly sure there's actually four-part harmony on the rehearsal version of Hearts -- Al, Carl, Bruce, and Matt. I can't listen to my copy currently to check, though.

You can listen to your heart is full of spring rehearsal right here on youtube!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »

I haven't listened to it super recently, but my recollection is that Bruce did the falsetto (or highest anyway) part as he did in the actual concert performance.

If they were actually rehearsing it for the tour, I figure Bruce would want to sing the same part that he would be singing in concert. It wouldn't do as much good to have Matt singing Bruce's part, Bruce singing the part below that (Carl's or Al's), and then everybody in the stack would potentially have to change their part (unless Matt wanted to sing Mike's low part).

The only way to effectively rehearse it without Mike there would be to either leave Mike's part out, or have someone else sing Mike's part. My recollection is that there is no "bass" part on the rehearsal tape. I suppose it's possible Matt doubled Bruce's part or sang it instead of Bruce. But my recollection is that Al, Carl, and Bruce simply sing their three parts and leave the bass out.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx