gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:00:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Glenn Frey  (Read 5560 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »

I think the reality is that the era of mass media and its celebrity multiplying effect is 50-60 years old. In the next few decades, there will be many more famous people dying as there will be many more famous people in their 70's, 80's and 90's.
Growing up, I used to wonder what it would be like as I myself got older, because most of the music people I liked started in the 50s/60s, and to a lesser extent, the 70's. Well, I am finding out now. The days of going to major concerts every month are over; most of the new acts don't interest me. But thank God for recorded sound. We are blessed to have the works of the great singers, songwriters, performers recorded for us to enjoy anytime we want.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »

The guy overcame several setbacks. For me, a huge loss musically speaking

If it runs amuck, call the duck
KDS
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 09:13:42 PM »

I think the reality is that the era of mass media and its celebrity multiplying effect is 50-60 years old. In the next few decades, there will be many more famous people dying as there will be many more famous people in their 70's, 80's and 90's.
Growing up, I used to wonder what it would be like as I myself got older, because most of the music people I liked started in the 50s/60s, and to a lesser extent, the 70's. Well, I am finding out now. The days of going to major concerts every month are over; most of the new acts don't interest me. But thank God for recorded sound. We are blessed to have the works of the great singers, songwriters, performers recorded for us to enjoy anytime we want.

I agree.  I'm only 35, and I could see my concert going days being over in the next decade.  As it stands now, I attend maybe three a year. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »

I agree.  I'm only 35, and I could see my concert going days being over in the next decade.  As it stands now, I attend maybe three a year. 
I am thankful that I got to see a lot of the legends at least once - and in most cases, they may not have been in their prime, but they could still put on a great show. Never did get to see the Eagles, other than on tv, but they are a great example of a band where the talent was spread out. It wasn't just one guy singing and writing, with nearly anonymous players behind him. Each of those guys was massively talented - sure, Henley and Frey get most of the attention, but how can you overlook a monster guitar player like Joe Walsh? Or a voice as sweet as Randy Meisner's? (just to name 2...)
KDS
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »

I am thankful that I got to see a lot of the legends at least once - and in most cases, they may not have been in their prime, but they could still put on a great show. Never did get to see the Eagles, other than on tv, but they are a great example of a band where the talent was spread out. It wasn't just one guy singing and writing, with nearly anonymous players behind him. Each of those guys was massively talented - sure, Henley and Frey get most of the attention, but how can you overlook a monster guitar player like Joe Walsh? Or a voice as sweet as Randy Meisner's? (just to name 2...)

Something told me that I should've paid to see The Eagles when they came to town last summer.  You always think "eh, maybe next time."  But with many of these acts, next time might never come. 

I've had the chance to see a lot of legends in the flesh over the last 18 years or so.  But I should make an effort to try and see the ones I haven't seen yet. 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »

One silver lining from this tragedy is that at least, as a band, the Eagles story had something of a complete ending. The band had an exclamation mark of sorts with the History of The Eagles documentary and tour. It didn't sound that the band (Henley at least) had it in them to do more albums. They had a 20plus year run post Hell Freezes Over. What needed to get done, got done.

Of course there can be no Eagles without Frey...can there?? Would Jackson Browne and J.D. Souther come into the fold?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx