gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680874 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:38:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was there any evidence "Wind Chimes" was Air?  (Read 119831 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

Re. Derek Taylor in May: in the same issue of D&ME for May 6 1967 is an article about the Boys' tour and it reports the Boys had already crossed the pond and would be flying to London but Taylor is in America (as is Brian) reporting about Carl's Los Angeles lawyer being confident about his draft case. Seems Brian may have done the reveal to Taylor.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2016, 12:21:48 AM »

The double album nonsense: Van Dyke told me explicitly that it was always a single album. Not double, not an EP, not a 5CD 2LP 2 singles box set. A single album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2016, 01:30:27 AM »

That's exactly what happened. That's how in the span of a week, it was reported that the album was being readied for rush promotion, 12 tracks ready. Then Mike tells Derek Taylor in the UK something different, and it's now "scrapped".
While its a logical assumption Mike broke the news,

Why is that a logical assumption? Could have been any of the boys, including Brian himself. And press statements always have to be taken with a grain of salt, like "laryngitis", you know?

Alan, I hope your feet didn't get wet!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2016, 04:12:03 AM »

That's exactly what happened. That's how in the span of a week, it was reported that the album was being readied for rush promotion, 12 tracks ready. Then Mike tells Derek Taylor in the UK something different, and it's now "scrapped".
While its a logical assumption Mike broke the news,

Why is that a logical assumption? Could have been any of the boys, including Brian himself. And press statements always have to be taken with a grain of salt, like "laryngitis", you know?

Alan, I hope your feet didn't get wet!

LOL Micha, I'm keeping them feet well above the high-tide line.  We live in an elevated position which makes things easier.

Based on the press evidence GuitarFool has put forward, one could logically assume Mike is the most likely candidate to be providing the initial feed, BUT, that's an assumption not a hard fact.

And as I assume, I'm sure Derek Taylor wouldn't have gone to press on the here-say of anyone in the group without verifying facts with the group/team/management/Brian.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2016, 04:18:35 AM »

I want to see proof for Craig's claim that Mike told Taylor. First it was an assumption, then it was a fact. Source, please.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2016, 04:38:58 AM »

I want to see proof for Craig's claim that Mike told Taylor. First it was an assumption, then it was a fact. Source, please.
+ 1

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:09 AM »

"Often put down in their early years, now vastly and widely appreciated in so many, many ways, the Beach Boys and I met in 1966 and worked together for two years. They paid me $750 a month for publicity and all sorts of help and they loaned me five thou when I had a crisis. Such generosity, but Christ, they were hard work. The basis of the band was the three Wilson brothers, Brian, Dennis and Carl, and their cousin Mike Love; but there was a fifth, Al Jardine, at that time not a full-sharing financial partner; and there was a sixth, Bruce Johnston, stand-in for Brian during stage performances, not yet certain of his role (he left in 1972). And they were anxious to bring everything much more together and win a wider following among the cognoscenti. They were on the threshold of releasing "Pet Sounds" and the next single was to be 'Good Vibrations'. “ Derek Taylor - As Time Goes By

"A man called Alan Pariser attended the Monterey Jazz Festival, which was quite an established event, and while smoking a marijuana cigarette, he considered the possibility of thousands and thousands of pop fans pouring out on the grounds, instead of these rather stuffy jazzophiles in corduroy trousers.
"He went to people with money, and raised I think $50,000 'seed money' to put on a pop festival at the Monterey Fairgrounds in Northern California, to be held sometime during the summer of l967, now known as the Summer of Love.
"In January of that mild winter, he asked me if I would publicize it. Well, I had just decided to drop out of being a Hollywood press agent, which is the lowest form of life, and go home to England. It was a time for dropping out."  Derek Taylor

My memory is 50% I guess.  

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2016, 04:44:06 AM »

Is there evidence that Derek was with the Beach Boys on that tour?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2016, 05:09:52 AM »

Word is...Taylor's info didn't come from Brian.

Whose word?

LOL Micha, I'm keeping them feet well above the high-tide line.  We live in an elevated position which makes things easier.

No intentions to move to lower Geelong? Wink 2
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:11:42 AM by Micha » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2016, 05:43:27 AM »

Re. Derek Taylor in May: in the same issue of D&ME for May 6 1967 is an article about the Boys' tour and it reports the Boys had already crossed the pond and would be flying to London but Taylor is in America (as is Brian) reporting about Carl's Los Angeles lawyer being confident about his draft case. Seems Brian may have done the reveal to Taylor.
Cam - They did go to the UK - amidst Carl going back to face a judge on the draft evasion charges, (I think in California on the 1st of May.) and then turn around to go to Ireland, where the band had already played a show or part of one without him.  IIRC

I don't have either Badman or Rusten handy right now.  Carl was arrested in NY.  I think around the 26th of April.  Right after Inside Pop aired. IMDB says April 25th it aired.

They played Boston on April 28 on a Friday, Carl had been released.

April has 30 days.  The weekend is the 29th and 30th.    If this "from his desk in LA, Derek Taylor" announcement is on a Saturday.  (the 29th)  - how much "lead time" would be needed from submission (deadline) to print release of these press announcements?

And (courtesy of "Jeff" - from Badman) - session "ILTSDD" - on 5/16-18.  (I Love to say Da Da) - sounds like Mike.  

If there are Smile sessions when they come back, it does not make sense.    Just sayin.'  Wink
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:48:11 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2016, 05:48:31 AM »

Carl missed the first show in Ireland. Check out 10452.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:32 AM »

Carl missed the first show in Ireland. Check out 10452.
Andrew - I thought so, and should've checked 10452 - it is easier to "carry around" than either Rusten or Badman! LOL

Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2016, 06:02:57 AM »

While its a logical assumption Mike broke the news, surely Derek Taylor would have confirmed with the mothership before dropping a bomb like that, no matter who told him x.

The idea that Brian was not consulted on, or even aware of, the "SCRAPPED" announcement is not a new one though.  It was certainly floated in Carlin's book.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2016, 06:10:12 AM »

Except it's not exactly what happened, because  Taylor wasn't in the UK.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:13 AM »

On phone so no quotes but can't be Mike on "Da Da" May sessions as he was still in Europe.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2016, 06:28:14 AM »

"Often put down in their early years, now vastly and widely appreciated in so many, many ways, the Beach Boys and I met in 1966 and worked together for two years. They paid me $750 a month for publicity and all sorts of help and they loaned me five thou when I had a crisis. Such generosity, but Christ, they were hard work. The basis of the band was the three Wilson brothers, Brian, Dennis and Carl, and their cousin Mike Love; but there was a fifth, Al Jardine, at that time not a full-sharing financial partner; and there was a sixth, Bruce Johnston, stand-in for Brian during stage performances, not yet certain of his role (he left in 1972). And they were anxious to bring everything much more together and win a wider following among the cognoscenti. They were on the threshold of releasing "Pet Sounds" and the next single was to be 'Good Vibrations'. “ Derek Taylor - As Time Goes By

"A man called Alan Pariser attended the Monterey Jazz Festival, which was quite an established event, and while smoking a marijuana cigarette, he considered the possibility of thousands and thousands of pop fans pouring out on the grounds, instead of these rather stuffy jazzophiles in corduroy trousers.
"He went to people with money, and raised I think $50,000 'seed money' to put on a pop festival at the Monterey Fairgrounds in Northern California, to be held sometime during the summer of l967, now known as the Summer of Love.
"In January of that mild winter, he asked me if I would publicize it. Well, I had just decided to drop out of being a Hollywood press agent, which is the lowest form of life, and go home to England. It was a time for dropping out."  Derek Taylor

My memory is 50% I guess.  
It sounds like his memory is 50% as the two quotes are contradictory (the two years from 66 would indicate 68) and another source (which I'll find when I'm at my computer) indicates that he didn't move back to England until fall 67 at the earliest. I suppose if he was deciding to leave in mid-winter 66-67 he may not have actually made the move until late 67, though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:31:50 AM by Emily » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »

Cam - They did go to the UK - amidst Carl going back to face a judge on the draft evasion charges, (I think in California on the 1st of May.) and then turn around to go to Ireland, where the band had already played a show or part of one without him.  IIRC

I don't have either Badman or Rusten handy right now.  Carl was arrested in NY.  I think around the 26th of April.  Right after Inside Pop aired. IMDB says April 25th it aired.

They played Boston on April 28 on a Friday, Carl had been released.

April has 30 days.  The weekend is the 29th and 30th.    If this "from his desk in LA, Derek Taylor" announcement is on a Saturday.  (the 29th)  - how much "lead time" would be needed from submission (deadline) to print release of these press announcements?

And (courtesy of "Jeff" - from Badman) - session "ILTSDD" - on 5/16-18.  (I Love to say Da Da) - sounds like Mike.  

If there are Smile sessions when they come back, it does not make sense.    Just sayin.'  Wink

Not sure but Taylor's column was titled:

OUR MAN IN AMERICA
DEREK TAYLOR
HOLLYWOOD TUESDAY

The article was in the May 6 1967 issue.

Maybe there are some photos or reports that show whether Taylor was in US or Europe/GB.  I'm guessing he was in the US planning Monterey Pop but that's because I haven't seen any evidence he was in GB as of yet.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »

Where was it said Taylor was in England? It would be foolish to say that (if it was said) since his column *actually* was headlined: BEACH BOYS fly in for a hot tour - and this is why there's no single to launch it..."

And the sub-heading reads as follows: "DEREK TAYLOR reporting from Hollywood as the Big Tour hits Britain"

Direct from the page in Disc & Music Echo May 6, 1967 issue where the Taylor article appeared.

Cam, I have no idea what you saw or where you're looking at to post that wording, but the actual page reads exactly as posted above.

And that is also why no mention was made that Taylor was with the band in the UK, when the actual page reads as it does.

Cam - Who ever said he was in England touring with the BB's? He was working in LA as a freelance music publicist and also working (alongside Michael Vosse, btw) in organizing Monterey Pop. He was work for hire.

Cam - Both NME and Disc & Music Echo were weekly UK music newspapers. If something happened in the music world, it would be reported in the next week's issue. Simple as that. There was no delay (for the big stuff...) beyond a week's time, like other weekly papers or mags.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:57:55 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »

I don't get this. What sounds like Mike?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2016, 07:03:57 AM »

Craig, you said "Mike tells Taylor in the UK". That's  Cam, and I, got it from.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »

Where was it said Taylor was in England?

I read this as such:

Then Mike tells Derek Taylor in the UK something different, and it's now "scrapped".

The way you worded it sounds like implying they were both there. I still don't get why you insist Mike told Taylor the album was scrapped. How can you be sure of that?

Oh, AGD beat me to it. Still posting it because AGD couldn't provide the quote.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2016, 07:08:19 AM »

While its a logical assumption Mike broke the news, surely Derek Taylor would have confirmed with the mothership before dropping a bomb like that, no matter who told him x.

The idea that Brian was not consulted on, or even aware of, the "SCRAPPED" announcement is not a new one though.  It was certainly floated in Carlin's book.

Exactly. How you managed to see this while everyone else seems to have missed it over the past decade...that's their bag, I suppose.

Carlin's book...and other sources that have said this for over a decade. For all the researchers out there, everyone asking what is *my* source, perhaps dig a little deeper, search a little more, and it will turn up, whatever got put into print.

Carlin didn't name Mike at all as the source for Taylor's article, but as was said above, the "logical assumption" angle kicks in when you put it all together.

And re: the source thing. Can anyone disprove that Mike was the one working closest to Derek Taylor at this specific time, or was Derek getting his scoop from the UK and elsewhere from another Beach Boy who was on the road? At this time, it wasn't Carl...yet Derek had someone giving him the reports from the tour which he used for his column. It wasn't Brian - The word from him was that the album was going to be ready to go for rush promotion.

Then, basically a week later, Taylor's column which is written to report on and promote (and do old fashioned hype for) the Beach Boys UK tour (and does, with specific info about the jet they flew in having a sign reading "The Beach Boys and Igor") says that same album is scrapped?

Add it up and see what figures everyone else can come up with.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »

Talk about parsing words. How about "while Mike was in the UK"...or any variation...does that make it better? It never was said here that Taylor was in the UK with the band, so that can't be used to refute anything moving forward. Never said, never written.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2016, 07:19:05 AM »

I'm not parsing anything, just repeating exactly what you said, and the only logical reading is that both were in the UK at the time, unless you're backpedaling. More to the point... your source for Mike being the source, please ?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2016, 07:19:33 AM »

Can anyone disprove that Mike was the one working closest to Derek Taylor at this specific time

Where's the proof it wasn't Brian who Taylor worked closest with? I think it's more likely Taylor got the info from Brian, as they were in the same city, Taylor saying Brian "sealed it in a can".

What are you trying to prove anyway? That SMiLE was junked because Mike told Talor it was scrapped, while in fact Brian was still working on it?

It's pretty arrogant of you to say WE should "dig deeper" for something you might as well have made up.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:21:51 AM by Micha » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 32 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx