gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:05:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was there any evidence "Wind Chimes" was Air?  (Read 118866 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 03, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »

It had never crossed my mind that Carl was lying about the finished work. I mean, we have now, released, plenty of finished-sounding Smile work. But that opens a second time when they coul've released and didn't. Why?
Btw - obviously I only speak for me, but when I mentioned Carl being diplomatic, I was thinking about his avoidance of ever mentioning internal difficulties; similar to his denials of Murry being abusive.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: February 03, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »

There were no April or May sessions for Smiley Smile. But if you choose to call Carl a liar and discredit everything he says, Cam...logic and facts then mean nothing and you could say Smiley Smile was the plan all along dating back to Summer 1966, it carries the same level of accuracy.

You have no proof. What Carl said in Fall 1967 ripped your theory to shreds. Or, should we now parse what Carl meant when he said Smiley was "started from scratch" so the theory still works?

Recording various bits in April then changing the entire direction of the music and the recording methods specific to one week in June is not starting from scratch. If they already started Smiley in April, then they would not have been starting from scratch when they moved to Brian's home studio in June.

Oh, but Carl's word can be thrown out as he's been discredited, right? He only worked on the music, he didn't have access to session data and NME articles and timelines to reference.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »

It had never crossed my mind that Carl was lying about the finished work. I mean, we have now, released, plenty of finished-sounding Smile work. But that opens a second time when they coul've released and didn't. Why?
Btw - obviously I only speak for me, but when I mentioned Carl being diplomatic, I was thinking about his avoidance of ever mentioning internal difficulties; similar to his denials of Murry being abusive.

What second time was available that fall? Smiley came out in September. The Wild Honey single dropped in October, by that time the plan was to shift to a more R&B flavored sound for the band, and that single did just that. The Wild Honey album came out in December. Maybe whatever plans there were to still put out those ten Smile tracks mentioned by Capitol got changed as soon as the band decided to do R&B rather than the music on Smile.

There are many issues at work that were not recorded on session sheets and timelines, or published in magazines.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:38:27 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »

What second time was available that fall? Smiley came out in September. The Wild Honey single dropped in October, by that time the plan was to shift to a more R&B flavored sound for the band, and that single did just that. The Wild Honey album came out in December. Maybe whatever plans there were to still put out those ten Smile tracks mentioned by Capitol got changed as soon as the band decided to do R&B rather than the music on Smile.

There are many issues at work that were not recorded on session sheets and timelines, or published in magazines.
I guess it makes sense that they didn't release it if they wanted to move in a new direction and they didn't think that sound represented them anymore. It just a strange thought that they were sitting on this amazing music that was somewhat ready-to-go and didn't release it for whatever myriad reasons. I'd never really thought before that it was close to a releasable state. It makes it seem even more of a shame.
I'm still confused by the scrapped/not scrapped series of reports from May and what the dynamic was that caused them to change gears so completely and seemingly suddenly. Does the shift from Capitol to Brother influence that? Is the studio work a more direct expense for them under Brother? Might it have been a financial decision?

Separately, and I'm hoping there's an easy answer because I'm not trying to shift the topic, (if the answer's not easy, just say so) is it known what the drive was to shift to R&B?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: February 03, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »

I guess it makes sense that they didn't release it if they wanted to move in a new direction and they didn't think that sound represented them anymore. It just a strange thought that they were sitting on this amazing music that was somewhat ready-to-go and didn't release it for whatever myriad reasons. I'd never really thought before that it was close to a releasable state. It makes it seem even more of a shame.
I'm still confused by the scrapped/not scrapped series of reports from May and what the dynamic was that caused them to change gears so completely and seemingly suddenly. Does the shift from Capitol to Brother influence that? Is the studio work a more direct expense for them under Brother? Might it have been a financial decision?

Separately, and I'm hoping there's an easy answer because I'm not trying to shift the topic, (if the answer's not easy, just say so) is it known what the drive was to shift to R&B?

Carl also commented on the shift to R&B with Wild Honey. "We all really dug Motown, right?...So Brian reckoned we should get more into a white R&B bag. I also recall around that time the band, and Brian in particular, getting criticized very heavily for sounding like choirboys."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »

Emily: I'll answer your other question about changing gears so suddenly with my opinion, I think a lot happened between the time the band returned from the European tour in late May, then went to the pro studios like Western for the first week of June, then there was a gap of about a week, and when they resumed recording it was at Brian's house in a studio which had been hastily assembled using rented gear. It was a sudden shift in direction, no doubt. That Taylor piece from that summer says "attitude and atmosphere" changes were made along with moving the sessions to Brian's house in June to get the new sessions up and running, the ones Carl said they started from scratch.

The answers, in my opinion, would be found somewhere in those first two weeks in June 1967.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 03, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »

There were no April or May sessions for Smiley Smile. But if you choose to call Carl a liar and discredit everything he says, Cam...logic and facts then mean nothing and you could say Smiley Smile was the plan all along dating back to Summer 1966, it carries the same level of accuracy.

You have no proof. What Carl said in Fall 1967 ripped your theory to shreds. Or, should we now parse what Carl meant when he said Smiley was "started from scratch" so the theory still works?

Recording various bits in April then changing the entire direction of the music and the recording methods specific to one week in June is not starting from scratch. If they already started Smiley in April, then they would not have been starting from scratch when they moved to Brian's home studio in June.

Oh, but Carl's word can be thrown out as he's been discredited, right? He only worked on the music, he didn't have access to session data and NME articles and timelines to reference.

You probably should refrain from accusing people of calling people a liar. You are arguing with me over somebody else's words, as I've already pointed out.  Pointing out how someone disagrees or where they are mistaken isn't calling them a liar.

All of the June sessions for Vegetables save one were not in the home studio, is the whole Smiley track from that one June 15 home studio session?  I've explained my reasons and given my evidence for calling Vegetables a Smiley Smile track (it is on the tracklist), I could be wrong, just as you could be wrong based on your ears and parsing.

Start from scratch, what would he mean by that? Can you start from scratch when you are using material previously recorded 5 to 8 month earlier for a different album?  If you've changed the title and lyrics and master number, is that starting from scratch?

So how would you think Carl would have measured "quickest" and what is your math?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 03, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »

Emily: I'll answer your other question about changing gears so suddenly with my opinion, I think a lot happened between the time the band returned from the European tour in late May, then went to the pro studios like Western for the first week of June, then there was a gap of about a week, and when they resumed recording it was at Brian's house in a studio which had been hastily assembled using rented gear. It was a sudden shift in direction, no doubt. That Taylor piece from that summer says "attitude and atmosphere" changes were made along with moving the sessions to Brian's house in June to get the new sessions up and running, the ones Carl said they started from scratch.

The answers, in my opinion, would be found somewhere in those first two weeks in June 1967.
And is the information in your post pretty much all the hard information we have of what went on during those two weeks? The Taylor piece giving a look back from a month later, some session sheets, and the knowledge that they moved recording into BW's house and it was haphazard? Was Stephen Desper working with them? Would he be a good source for what happened at that time?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »

And is the information in your post pretty much all the hard information we have of what went on during those two weeks? The Taylor piece giving a look back from a month later, some session sheets, and the knowledge that they moved recording into BW's house and it was haphazard? Was Stephen Desper working with them? Would he be a good source for what happened at that time?

COMMENT:  I have answered this question in detail, if you can somehow look back at past postings, but here in a few words is what the scene was.

The question before management was should a studio be built at Brian's home or not. Someone said let's try it out. At that time I was working mostly on the road, but came in to help Jimmy Lockard who had been hired (through Hider Studios) to make it happen. He rented a Gates Radio Company console and rigged it to work as a recording console. He rented Altec speakers that Brian liked, a 4- then 8-track track from Hider. With a closed circuit TV system between the large living room and Brian's den, across the hallway entrance (foyer) and, oh yes, some headphones and a mic or five, booms -- all that stuff.  We recorded like that for several months. Then a big tour was in the booking. It was decided to build four consoles, special amplifiers, and good microphones for this huge tour in the US and Europe. I was to design the system to be used in a recording studio setting upon return to LA. The system, actually two systems, was thus designed at a cost of 200,000 in 1960-70 dollars. The system was designed and built for the tour. Upon the ending of that tour, a team of carpenters converted one of two living rooms in Brian's house to a studio and control room -- later added an echo chamber. It took several weeks to build the monitor speaker for the control room.

~swd

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: February 03, 2016, 09:34:38 PM »

The questions regarding what happened those first two weeks of June might be more specific to what was happening within the band, and decisions to be made on moving forward. One of those was getting Brian's house fitted out with rented equipment to begin recording at the house in mid-June, which is outlined above.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 03, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »

I apologize, everyone, for needing things explained to me like a kindergartener, but that's what I am when it comes to Smile stuff (other than as a music listener).
So this just occurred to me, with the scrapped/not scrapped and sudden change: is it possible that Brian was getting flustered and unable to finish the work to his satisfaction, though it seemed so close; and that the rest of the band when they got back just figured something had to be done quickly to get product out, but couldn't get Brian to wrap up what he had (maybe with the feeling Mike was depicted to have with the cellos in Love and Mercy), so they just basically said "we're just going to home-record what we can; get it out; then we can finish this up?" But then, after the lapse of time, interests had changed (R&B) and the Smile recordings from a distance seemed even more overwhelming, so they just never went back to it?

That's obviously an oversimplification, but might it be a general outline?

I saw the Desper thing just before posting this - thank you. The tour he refers to, I assume, is not the Spring 1967 tour but the next one? After Smiley Smile?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:42:59 PM by Emily » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: February 03, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »

Emily: What specifically happened among band members in those first two weeks in June might be restricted at this point to what any of them have chosen to say, or what they may choose to say. Very little has been published through the years, minus the technical descriptions about the recordings in the house once it was set up.

But we know some major changes happened in those weeks, biggest among them that they started from scratch and began recording in a totally different way than they had been for the past several years. If those changes happened in private and no one chooses to reveal what happened, then unfortunately we'll only have what we know led up to those changes and what the changes produced, which on the surface was the new Heroes single and the Smiley album, with a jaunt to Hawaii to play live sandwiched in between.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »

Emily: What specifically happened among band members in those first two weeks in June might be restricted at this point to what any of them have chosen to say, or what they may choose to say. Very little has been published through the years, minus the technical descriptions about the recordings in the house once it was set up.

But we know some major changes happened in those weeks, biggest among them that they started from scratch and began recording in a totally different way than they had been for the past several years. If those changes happened in private and no one chooses to reveal what happened, then unfortunately we'll only have what we know led up to those changes and what the changes produced, which on the surface was the new Heroes single and the Smiley album, with a jaunt to Hawaii to play live sandwiched in between.
I think it's pretty clear that this is the moment that the group's basic paradigm shifted.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »

I apologize, everyone, for needing things explained to me like a kindergartener, but that's what I am when it comes to Smile stuff (other than as a music listener).
So this just occurred to me, with the scrapped/not scrapped and sudden change: is it possible that Brian was getting flustered and unable to finish the work to his satisfaction, though it seemed so close; and that the rest of the band when they got back just figured something had to be done quickly to get product out, but couldn't get Brian to wrap up what he had (maybe with the feeling Mike was depicted to have with the cellos in Love and Mercy), so they just basically said "we're just going to home-record what we can; get it out; then we can finish this up?" But then, after the lapse of time, interests had changed (R&B) and the Smile recordings from a distance seemed even more overwhelming, so they just never went back to it?

That's obviously an oversimplification, but might it be a general outline?

I saw the Desper thing just before posting this - thank you. The tour he refers to, I assume, is not the Spring 1967 tour but the next one? After Smiley Smile?

No apologies necessary, your contributions are both welcome and valuable!

Your general outline to me is as valid if not moreso than quite a few others I've seen, in fact it's more logical than some which have been offered and even suggested as fact in previous years.

Your outline sums up a lot of what I've been posting most recently to this discussion. Specific to your comments, we're pretty much on the same page. By the time there was a realistic window of opportunity to release the unused Smile material, hypothetically after Smiley Smile released Sept '67, the band had moved to their R&B sound with Wild Honey, with that single in October 67. They ended 1967 with Wild Honey as their current album going into 1968.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08:42 PM »

Has any other Beach Boy ever said SMiLE was finished?

The SMiLE album artwork was ready and publicized in March and the actual album covers were done in April, so we are thinking that Brian is deliberately still recording tracks for SMiLE of alternate title or title that will not appear on the album covers that are either being made or already made instead of those alternate tracks being for the alternate album Smiley Smile.  It said "See label for correct playing order" not "for correct titles and unlisted songs".

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 03, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »

The SMiLE album artwork was ready and publicized in March and the actual album covers were done in April, so we are thinking that Brian is deliberately still recording tracks for SMiLE of alternate title or title that will not appear on the album covers that are either being made or already made instead of those alternate tracks being for the alternate album Smiley Smile.  It said "See label for correct playing order" not "for correct titles and unlisted songs".
Hi Cam, I'm sorry to ask you to repeat something; I looked back a few pages and couldn't find it, though I know it's there: when did the spelling of 'vegetables' change? And was it consistently one way and then consistently another after a certain date? And was there a song on Smiley Smile that they worked on before they went to the home studio that was not on the Smile sleeve?
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2016, 11:02:01 PM »

The SMiLE album artwork was ready and publicized in March and the actual album covers were done in April, so we are thinking that Brian is deliberately still recording tracks for SMiLE of alternate title or title that will not appear on the album covers that are either being made or already made instead of those alternate tracks being for the alternate album Smiley Smile.  It said "See label for correct playing order" not "for correct titles and unlisted songs".

I hadn't realised the covers were completed/printed/delivered in April. So Capitol, at least, was still working on the basis that work on SMiLE was ongoing, it appears.

Now, if you were the 'level-headed' brother in a family band, and that band was/had been in recent legal conflict with their record label, and that record label had conceded on the crucial points and was about to give your band its own subsidiary label, and that record label had been paying for months of recording that your brother/band leader had now decided was to be junked: wouldn't you try and provide some diplomatic commentary - 'damage control' might be another term for it - on that topic to the press?

That's just supposition, of course. Even 'parsing', if you like. Maybe you wouldn't. I suspect I would.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:05:25 PM by The_Holy_Bee » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »

The SMiLE album artwork was ready and publicized in March and the actual album covers were done in April, so we are thinking that Brian is deliberately still recording tracks for SMiLE of alternate title or title that will not appear on the album covers that are either being made or already made instead of those alternate tracks being for the alternate album Smiley Smile.  It said "See label for correct playing order" not "for correct titles and unlisted songs".
Hi Cam, I'm sorry to ask you to repeat something; I looked back a few pages and couldn't find it, though I know it's there: when did the spelling of 'vegetables' change? And was it consistently one way and then consistently another after a certain date? And was there a song on Smiley Smile that they worked on before they went to the home studio that was not on the Smile sleeve?

I don't know that "Vega-Tables" was ever on any session documentation, even for the "cornucopia" demo.  As far as I know it was consistently spelled "Vega-Tables" on all SMiLE documentation (track list, booklet) and the titles of the publicized SMiLE album mock ups of March.

Then from April 4 on , as far as I know, (when the SMiLE album covers were being made or were already finished) it had alternate lyrics to Vega-Tables, had a different master number and session number that was continuous from then on, was always noted as "Vegetables" on AFM and Capitol session documents and tape boxes and session vocal slates as "Vegetables", and on the Smiley Smile album back liner track list. Other titles from late March, April, and May do not appear on the SMiLE track list either and I believe they also were recorded under the SMiLE/Smiley Capitol album project number as was "Vegetables" (not certain about "Tones").

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:19:55 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 03, 2016, 11:14:34 PM »

I hadn't realised the covers were completed/printed/delivered in April. So Capitol, at least, was still working on the basis that work on SMiLE was ongoing, it appears.

Now, if you were the 'level-headed' brother in a family band, and that band was/had been in recent legal conflict with their record label, and that record label had conceded on the crucial points and was about to give your band its own subsidiary label, and that record label had been paying for months of recording that your brother/band leader had now decided was to be junked: wouldn't you try and provide some diplomatic commentary - 'damage control' might be another term for it - on that topic to the press?

That's just supposition, of course. Even 'parsing', if you like. Maybe you wouldn't. I suspect I would.

Remember that article in LLVS (p. 140) where Mike says "Capitol finished the sleeve in April already".

(I feel some parsing a'comin')

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 03, 2016, 11:17:44 PM »

I don't know that "Vega-Tables" was ever on any session documentation, even for the "cornucopia" demo.  As far as I know it was consistently spelled "Vega-Tables" on all SMiLE documentation (track list, booklet) and the titles of the publicized SMiLE album mock ups of March.

Then from April 4 on (when the SMiLE album covers were being made or were already finished), as far as I know, it had alternate lyrics to Vega-Tables, had a different master number and session number that was continuous from then on, was always noted as "Vegetables" on AFM and Capitol session documents and tape boxes and session vocal slates as "Vegetables", and on the Smiley Smile album back liner track list. Other titles from late March, April, and May do not appear on the SMiLE track list either and I believe they also were recorded under the SMiLE/Smiley Capitol album project number as was "Vegetables" (not certain about "Tones").

Well that's confusing. I'm beginning to see how people have spent decades and reams of paper on this subject!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 03, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »

This is a good point. I'd never really thought of the label as the audience for their public comments, but of course they had to keep the label in mind and say things in a way not alarming to the label.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:35 PM »

Then from April 4 on (when the SMiLE album covers were being made or were already finished), as far as I know, it had alternate lyrics to Vega-Tables, had a different master number and session number that was continuous from then on, was always noted as "Vegetables" on AFM and Capitol session documents and tape boxes and session vocal slates as "Vegetables", and on the Smiley Smile album back liner track list. Other titles from late March, April, and May do not appear on the SMiLE track list either and I believe they also were recorded under the SMiLE/Smiley Capitol album project number as was "Vegetables" (not certain about "Tones").

Well that's confusing. I'm beginning to see how people have spent decades and reams of paper on this subject!

Not if you think of it this way, it was Vega-Tables on SMiLE and Vegetables on Smiley.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2016, 11:25:21 PM »

The same label the band in announcing the lawsuit said they wanted to break out of their contract with? Trying to save face with the label that they had recently publicly (and rightfully) exposed as having defrauded the band (and possibly other artists as well) out of money for several years and wanted to end their contract with wouldn't seem to be a priority.

Question: Who paid for those April Vegetables sessions, the band or Capitol? How about Carl's sessions unrelated to Smile yet held at the same time, did the band or Capitol pick up the tab for those?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:32 PM »

Not if you think of it this way, it was Vega-Tables on SMiLE and Vegetables on Smiley.
But then that means that even as the sleeves were being printed for Smile, Brian had already decided that he wasn't releasing it? And that the rest of the band didn't know he'd made that decision? Or would they have all known but as the Holy Bee suggests smoothing it over? Or was Brian just reworking that song, then was happy with the change and they kept it when they shifted to Smiley Smile? Or was 'vegetables' re-recorded again at the house? Were there ultimately three complete versions, 'Vega-Tables', 'Vegetables' studio, and 'Vegetables' house?
It's probably less confusing for you, Cam, because you've absorbed this information before, but my head is swimming trying to keep up with this thread!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »

Well that's confusing.

Unnecessarily confusing.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx