gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:29:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book About Time Travel and Smile  (Read 2481 times)
wbarnes4393
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »

I think in the Peter Ames Carlin book on Brian, he references a novel that involves someone time traveling back to when Brian was working on Smile and helping him finish it.  I have tried to find it but can't track it down.  Does anyone know the title and the author? Has anyone read it?
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »

You’re thinking about Glimpses by Lewis Shiner. You can read it here:

http://www.fictionliberationfront.net/glimpses.pdf

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
wbarnes4393
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 05:05:22 AM »

Boom - that's it! Thank you so much!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »

Boom - that's it! Thank you so much!
No problem!

Be warned though, due to misinformation spread about Smile during the '90s, be on the lookout for lots of little historical inaccuracies!

wbarnes4393
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »

I've gotten through the early two chapters about Smile background and his actually traveling back in time to help Smile (supposedly) get out.  Then he wakes up in the present day in a coma, and is now off to Mexico.  Without spoiling too much, can you tell me if it's worth continuing for more cool Brian-Smile tie-ins?  I'm not as excited about reading the rest of the novel for travels to see The Doors and Jimi Hendrix, etc. (although more of the Beatles would be great).
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »

I've gotten through the early two chapters about Smile background and his actually traveling back in time to help Smile (supposedly) get out.  Then he wakes up in the present day in a coma, and is now off to Mexico.  Without spoiling too much, can you tell me if it's worth continuing for more cool Brian-Smile tie-ins?  I'm not as excited about reading the rest of the novel for travels to see The Doors and Jimi Hendrix, etc. (although more of the Beatles would be great).
I kinda did the same thing, I read the Smile chapters and kinda skimmed through everything else. If you don't feel like doing that, then skip to the last chapter, there's some more Brian/Smile related stuff scattered throughout.

I kinda wish the author would put the book out again and update some of the inaccuracies regarding the Smile stuff. One of my favorite moments is when Brian is mentioning all of the songs he's working on, he goes on to list "Look", "I Ran", and "I Don't Know". Not only were "Look" and "I Ran" the same song, but "I Don't Know" (which was just a working title), wasn't even his song! Plus, not including "Wonderful" on the "finished" album is pure mutiny.

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »

Was able to buy this book when it came out. Really enjoyed it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx