gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:54:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don Henley/Mike Love  (Read 21763 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »

If you noodge the 'rock' over towards 'folk' a bit there are some. Doesn't change the point of your post though, which is a good one.

Oh yes -- and this is one of the reasons I think Al is so important to the band. The way he tells it, at least, it was his idea for them to form a group, and given his tastes he will undoubtedly have been thinking of the Kingston Trio/Weavers model of singers accompanying themselves, rather than the Four Freshmen style vocal group Brian might have gone for, the doo-wop group that Mike would have gone for, or the surf instrumental band Carl or David might have wanted. Certainly Surfin' owes more to the Kingston Trio than to Dick Dale or the Marcels.
Of course, the band would incorporate all those elements, but the folk group model is, I think, the only one that would have had the flexibility to accommodate them all, and I'm fairly convinced that that aspect comes from Al.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »

If you noodge the 'rock' over towards 'folk' a bit there are some. Doesn't change the point of your post though, which is a good one.

Oh yes -- and this is one of the reasons I think Al is so important to the band. The way he tells it, at least, it was his idea for them to form a group, and given his tastes he will undoubtedly have been thinking of the Kingston Trio/Weavers model of singers accompanying themselves, rather than the Four Freshmen style vocal group Brian might have gone for, the doo-wop group that Mike would have gone for, or the surf instrumental band Carl or David might have wanted. Certainly Surfin' owes more to the Kingston Trio than to Dick Dale or the Marcels.
Of course, the band would incorporate all those elements, but the folk group model is, I think, the only one that would have had the flexibility to accommodate them all, and I'm fairly convinced that that aspect comes from Al.
It really was a felicitous melding of influences, wasn't it? I'd been conscious of the musical melding, but not really the practical side of it in this way. Thanks for your post. It's broadened my perspective on the BB's influence and ground-breaking. (ground-breakingness?)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »

Your statement that 'Surfin' is more Kingston Trio than Dick Dale is an interesting one, and I never thought about it in those terms. Fascinating, and perhaps you are correct that Al's contribution to the direction of the band should be examined further.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »

Biggest factor in the differences between Love and Henley are that Henley (and The Eagles) have always been super cautious and careful w/ their legacy and image for better or worse. I'm a huge Eagles fan and a huge Beach Boys fans and I have to say the BB's made far more embarrassing choices through the years than The Eagles. Granted, both bands are completely different in a lot of ways yet have a striking amount of similarities with band dysfunction, etc.

Irving Azoff 1, BB's "Mgt" 0

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »

The Long Run was The Eagles SIP
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »

"Heartache Tonight" was, in many ways, the Eagles' "Goin' To The Beach".
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 12:30:01 PM »

TLR sold 8 million units...SIP sold about 8 LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »

TLR sold 8 million units...SIP sold about 8 LOL

And that's being generous indeed.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2016, 05:44:04 AM »

"Heartache Tonight" was, in many ways, the Eagles' "Goin' To The Beach".

Wow, that's mean.  Glenn's turning over in his fresh grave.

I'm really hoping M&B leave Goin to the Beach out of their set this year.  MIC is almost three years old, so its not "new" anymore. 

Besides, if it wasn't good enough for the KTSA album, why is it good enough for a setlist?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:17 AM »

I'm really hoping M&B leave Goin to the Beach out of their set this year.  MIC is almost three years old, so its not "new" anymore. 

Besides, if it wasn't good enough for the KTSA album, why is it good enough for a setlist?

Personally I think it's better than about three quarters of that album.I don't think there's a particularly strong correlation between the material the band chose for their albums and their worthwhile material. The song always goes down fairly well,

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
KDS
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2016, 06:51:08 AM »

Personally I think it's better than about three quarters of that album.I don't think there's a particularly strong correlation between the material the band chose for their albums and their worthwhile material. The song always goes down fairly well,

I will agree that it's better than 75% of KTSA, but that's really not saying much. 

It blends OK with the surf / beach set in the beginning of the concerts, but I'd rather see it swapped out for an early album track, or even something California Calling or Beaches in Mind.  (No, I'm not joking, I think both are better songs). 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2016, 07:17:35 AM »

I will agree that it's better than 75% of KTSA, but that's really not saying much. 

It blends OK with the surf / beach set in the beginning of the concerts, but I'd rather see it swapped out for an early album track, or even something California Calling or Beaches in Mind.  (No, I'm not joking, I think both are better songs). 

I certainly think California Calling a better song, but I think it unlikely that Mike would include a song primarily written by Al and with no songwriting input from himself, which wasn't a hit and isn't a particular hardcore fan favourite. And given his antipathy to That's Why God Made The Radio I can't see Beaches In Mind ever being included either.
You know what would fit quite well in that place, was a hit, and is a Mike-led song that they haven't done in nearly forty years? Almost Summer. It's also quite a catchy track.

KDS
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2016, 07:22:20 AM »

I certainly think California Calling a better song, but I think it unlikely that Mike would include a song primarily written by Al and with no songwriting input from himself, which wasn't a hit and isn't a particular hardcore fan favourite. And given his antipathy to That's Why God Made The Radio I can't see Beaches In Mind ever being included either.
You know what would fit quite well in that place, was a hit, and is a Mike-led song that they haven't done in nearly forty years? Almost Summer. It's also quite a catchy track.

I'd be fine with that. 

In my opinion, TWGMTR is, by far, the best Beach Boys album since Holland.  It's a shame that neither camp has been including songs from the album in their sets.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »

I'd be fine with that. 

In my opinion, TWGMTR is, by far, the best Beach Boys album since Holland.  It's a shame that neither camp has been including songs from the album in their sets.

I'd call it the best since LA -- I think Love You and LA are both better. Mike's band has been doing Isn't It Time a fair bit -- I saw them do it at three of the five shows I've seen them do since the end of the 2012 tour, though I don't know how often they do it in the US. I can understand them not doing more, though, given that Mike's not a very prominent vocalist on the album, and other than Isn't It Time his leads are on the weakest tracks.
I suspect Brian's more interested in doing No Pier Pressure songs, though I do think it's odd that he doesn't do anything at all from it.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2016, 08:01:11 AM »

I'd be fine with that. 

I'd call it the best since LA -- I think Love You and LA are both better. Mike's band has been doing Isn't It Time a fair bit -- I saw them do it at three of the five shows I've seen them do since the end of the 2012 tour, though I don't know how often they do it in the US. I can understand them not doing more, though, given that Mike's not a very prominent vocalist on the album, and other than Isn't It Time his leads are on the weakest tracks.
I suspect Brian's more interested in doing No Pier Pressure songs, though I do think it's odd that he doesn't do anything at all from it.

How about myKe's leads are the weakest on TWGMTR?  That sounds like the real issue.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »

I'd be fine with that. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  As I'm not a huge fan of Love You.  LA is a very good album, but that fact that 1/4 of the album is wasted on the overlong disco track, I'll still put TWGMTR above it.

I know Brian did PCH and Summer's Gone for the BW and Friends DVD, so I was hoping it would be on the NPP Tour.  Oh well.  
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »

Yeah, perhaps The Long Run was more their KTSA. Initially, I was going to say MIU but there are at least three good tracks on MIU
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »

I'd be fine with that. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  As I'm not a huge fan of Love You.  LA is a very good album, but that fact that 1/4 of the album is wasted on the overlong disco track, I'll still put TWGMTR above it.

I know Brian did PCH and Summer's Gone for the BW and Friends DVD, so I was hoping it would be on the NPP Tour.  Oh well. 

Best since Holland, or even longer.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »

Yeah, perhaps The Long Run was more their KTSA. Initially, I was going to say MIU but there are at least three good tracks on MIU

Except that The Long Run LP had THREE massive hits and KTSA and MIU did not whatsoever. I love The Long Run and is maybe my favorite Eagles LP. Not a valid comparison...
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »

Except that The Long Run LP had THREE massive hits and KTSA and MIU did not whatsoever. I love The Long Run and is maybe my favorite Eagles LP. Not a valid comparison...
One thing that makes a comparison difficult is that The Long Run came in the wake of the massive success of Hotel California. I can't think of a comparable scenario for a Beach Boys album. SMiLE following up Good Vibrations? But SMiLE never made it out the door. Smiley Smile after Pet Sounds? 15 Big Ones after Endless Summer?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »

Whoah. The sound of feathers ruffled. Komomo was a massive hit and it was stinkeroo. So what? The THREE massive hits on The Long Run are nothing to write home about and the album was a severe disappointmentl. Their worst album by far and I'll still take MIU over it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:13:59 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »

The Eagles did a lot more with less talent than the Beach Boys ever did, mostly because they had strong leadership in Henley and Frey. The Beach Boys lacked that due to Brian's health issues and timidity and Mike's lack of songwriting skills.  The Eagles' music can't touch the Beach Boys at their best, of course, it's good music, not great music, as Biran noted. But they ran a tighter ship, that's for certain.

Don Henley has a lot more talent than ML, but he's every bit of a creep. The difference is that he pretty much was the main guy in the Eagles, whereas ML is the #2 guy at most in the Beach Boys if Brian is around, and if Carl was still alive he'd be #3.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »

The Eagles did a lot more with less talent than the Beach Boys ever did, mostly because they had strong leadership in Henley and Frey. The Beach Boys lacked that due to Brian's health issues and timidity and Mike's lack of songwriting skills.  The Eagles' music can't touch the Beach Boys at their best, of course, it's good music, not great music, as Biran noted. But they ran a tighter ship, that's for certain.

Don Henley has a lot more talent than ML, but he's every bit of a creep. The difference is that he pretty much was the main guy in the Eagles, whereas ML is the #2 guy at most in the Beach Boys if Brian is around, and if Carl was still alive he'd be #3.
And if Dennis was still with us, myKe luHv would(still) be in the sewer.

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2016, 10:51:50 PM »

Actually Mike looks more like #2.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2016, 10:56:57 PM »

The 4 hour special on CNN tonight had so many reflections of the Beach Boys careers it was almost astounding. What an excellent program from start to the In Memoriam for Glenn Fey.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx