gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:33:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don Henley/Mike Love  (Read 21750 times)
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »

My thoughts exactly. Hated the Eagles as a 70s teen. Hotel California still causes shudders.

Comparing Mike Love and Don Henley is apples and oranges. Different careers and backgrounds. Mike Love was already a pro by the time Henley was getting started.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 12:19:34 AM »

I'd say Henley was more talented, Mike has been on cruise control for about 40 years now.  Mike's still got it, though, and Henley's lost a step in my opinion. 

My favorite thing Henley ever did was Boys of Summer, Ironically. 

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:02 AM »

Show me an at least equal solo by Mike Love than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCdjvTTnzDU
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:51 AM »

Great older song sure, but not really along your original thread question.

Both Cali guys, both massively successful. Which one is still relevant?  Which one is a magnet?

I can't decide if this is trying to stir up anti Mike feeling or not.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 03:38:51 AM »

In terms of the bands they represent----and this is when the word "coat-tails" comes to mind----Mike is relevant.

In all fairness, I've come to appreciate The Eagles more in recent years, but still...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »

Mike matches it on Meant For You off of Friends matches it though his part is brief he's not nasal at all. I was surprised to learn it was Mike.
https://youtu.be/Pp9P0mOXfOM

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:36:58 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »

There are far better Eagles songs than this, though. Seriously, when I hear it, what comes to mind is a bad 90s TV movie where the leading man has long hair, a beard, long coat and broods rather than acts - and the supporting cast is made up of fat men with beards who think they look authentic.  You keep hoping the Indians'll come and wipe them out and the movie'll finish early.  Not doubting Don's talent, but I'll take Best of My Love, Witchy Woman, Take it to the Limit or New Kid in Town over this, In fact, I'll take all the Desperado album over this - and I think it's their strongest and most consistent. Don's more relevant than Mike to our times and the fact he's still writing great material is, well, great. Mike, after all, has written little of note since Holland, BUT I do think our boy is in the pantheon of greats for the great songs he has contributed to in the past, vocally and lyrically. And yeah, I think Warmth of the Sun is a better sing than Desperado.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:48:22 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »

Both Cali guys, both massively successful. Which one is still relevant?  Which one is a magnet?

I can't decide if this is trying to stir up anti Mike feeling or not.
Is either really relevant to any but a small core group of fans of their original band and is either really magnetic at all?
Maybe they are; I don't claim to know who's pinned up on all teenagers' walls and what name's on the lips of club patrons everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:04:34 AM by Emily » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »

Henley is a great orator, a particularly meticulous wordsmith. Both men possess voices that would be among the most recognizable in Rock and Roll.

Their upbringings are very different. Henley was an only child from a small town in East Texas, Love from a large family in California. Both of their fathers ran their own businesses though.

Henley gradually increased his role in Eagles, primarily as he and Frey started to write together. I think Don was far more interested in expanding his musical horizons than Mike ever was.

Don always relied on musical partnerships to deliver his vision, to great success, whether it be Frey, Danny Kortchmar, or Stan Lynch. Mikes collaborations with Terry Melcher, and Dean Torrence were less fruitful.

Both lead vocalists for arguably America's biggest bands.
Both have their moments where it appears they might be a little 'difficult'

This about nails it

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 02:02:45 PM »

Now Glenn Frey has died. I feel horrible.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »

Wow! Shocked
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »

Bad freakin' news.  REALLY bad.  The worst.  What a start to 2016!!! Shocked

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »

Total Shock.  Frey was always my favorite Eagle. Saw them in April and he put on a great show. Reminds me of the day Carl died. Gut punch.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

Sad. It seemed like Davy Jones passing started a cascade.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »

Speaking of Mr Jones...

Dale Griffin, drummer for rock group Mott The Hoople, has died aged 67.
He was a founder member of the group, best known for classic tracks Roll Away The Stone and All The Young Dudes.
The latter was written and produced by David Bowie, who sang backing vocals on the track.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35342699

Right about the gut punch southbay. While not really a fan of the Eagles, there will be many taking it hard.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:54 AM »

Speaking of Mr Jones...

He was a founder member of the group, best known for classic tracks Roll Away The Stone and All The Young Dudes.
The latter was written and produced by David Bowie, who sang backing vocals on the track.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35342699

Right about the gut punch southbay. While not really a fan of the Eagles, there will be many taking it hard.

For years I only knew Dale as the producer of some of my favourite John Peel sessions like Nirvana and Pulp-it was only a couple of years ago that I found out he was Mott's drummer.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:57 AM »

Ye gods----cascade is the word. I hope the year picks up soon...

R.I.P., sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »

Glenn Frey is the Mike Love of The Eagles. 

Perfect analogy.  I couldn't agree more.   My sentiments exactly.      His rants against former band mate s over the years, firing and damning his band mates,   Arrogantly going forward singing his prized little favorite tunes and raking in the money.........
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »

Yes I know he is now departed.   Doesn't change my opinion.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:09 PM »

Desperado is pure hokum.  It was Puddy's favorite tune.  Nuff said.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »

Desperado is pure hokum.  It was Puddy's favorite tune.  Nuff said.

Ohhhh Witchaay woman.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »

Ever since I was young, the music of the Eagles made me car sick. It might have been Don Henley's voice, because "The Boys of Summer" had the same effect. So yeah, ya know, to a certain extent, The Dude abides.

That said, those guys were/are pros. Tightest band ever, in some ways, as any one who has ever attempted to cover an Eagles song in a bar band knows. Great vocal blend-- one of the best ever, whichever incarnation. Of course, their vocal arrangements had nothing on the Wilsons.

They didn't have enough farty synths, either.

*I vote for Don Henley*

EDIT: I'm watching "The History of the Eagles" and I love Glenn Frey with all of my heart and Don is pretty badass, too.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:07:27 PM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »

Ya...I think Henley takes way too much heat for Frey's shortcomings.  The Eagles have sold LOADS of units...and rhey've put a LOT of bums into a huge number of seats.  Their sales...especially over these past 20 years or so are as good as anyone has managed so to put them down on a song by song basis argues unsuccessfully against the facts.  I like their music, or at least most of it, a lot.   Some of it is simply outstanding.  The main vocalist and a principal writer?  ALL along the way...Don Henley.

That said I prefer the Beach Boys to the Eagles most of the time.  I have never been interested to search out a community board dealing with the Eagles.  I think Bernie, Randy and oh-so-obviously Don Felder all got a really raw deal from the core guys...especially from the dearly departed.  BUT...THIS thread is about Don and Mike.  Don beats Mike at every turn.  There's no contest.  It's a cakewalk...although there are plenty of Mike's leads and original vocals which propel some songs I love to a higher plateau.

The [entire] Beach Boys with Mike...works/worked well for me....at least until 1973 in terms of their recorded efforts involving Mike Love.   'That's Why God Made the Radio' was a better than average lp especially compared to their collective group efforts from the mid 70s on.  W/O the whole contingent though?...and left to his own devices  ...  Henley just absolutely cleans Love's clock.  Thoroughly.  Totally.  Completely.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »

Ya...I think Henley takes way too much heat for Frey's shortcomings.  The Eagles have sold LOADS of units...and rhey've put a LOT of bums into a huge number of seats.  Their sales...especially over these past 20 years or so are as good as anyone has managed so to put them down on a song by song basis argues unsuccessfully against the facts.  I like their music, or at least most of it, a lot.   Some of it is simply outstanding.  The main vocalist and a principal writer?  ALL along the way...Don Henley.

That said I prefer the Beach Boys to the Eagles most of the time.  I have never been interested to search out a community board dealing with the Eagles.  I think Bernie, Randy and oh-so-obviously Don Felder all got a really raw deal from the core guys...especially from the dearly departed.  BUT...THIS thread is about Don and Mike.  Don beats Mike at every turn.  There's no contest.  It's a cakewalk...although there are plenty of Mike's leads and original vocals which propel some songs I love to a higher plateau.

The [entire] Beach Boys with Mike...works/worked well for me....at least until 1973 in terms of their recorded efforts involving Mike Love.   'That's Why God Made the Radio' was a better than average lp especially compared to their collective group efforts from the mid 70s on.  W/O the whole contingent though?...and left to his own devices  ...  Henley just absolutely cleans Love's clock.  Thoroughly.  Totally.  Completely.

Agreed, Lee, but let's face it, luHv's "clock" wasn't that difficult to clean by any means. By being stuck in the 60's along with a very lean range of talent, the shine on that timepiece has to be quite bright from continuous scrubbings.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:02:17 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »

OSD!!!!!!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx