gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:38:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don Henley/Mike Love  (Read 21735 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2016, 02:58:37 AM »

Both Cali guys, both massively successful. Which one is still relevant?  Which one is a magnet?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 04:23:54 AM »

Both kinda spikey and litigious. Both made major contributions to their bands, but Mike's band made more of a major contribution full stop and the Lovester wrote the lyrics to Warmth of the Sun, and if that was all he did, he'd be ahead of ol' Don. To be honest, though I have all their albums, these days I can only take the Eagles in a kind of greatest hits plus way any more. Good singing aside, there's a samey emptiness about a lot of their stuff, but then that's the same for so many bands. Relevant to the current music scene? I terms of influence, if people were prepared to remove the blinkers? Love, hands down. In terms of still producing relevant material? Henley, without a doubt.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:29:25 AM »

Warmth of the Sun is top shelf. But Desperado, as Henley presents it in concert, is the clear winner to this day.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:03:58 AM »

Both Cali guys, both massively successful. Which one is still relevant?  Which one is a magnet?

Your comparison is flawed. Henley is a native Texan.  The Eagles were far more succeesful over a longer period of time.  Add to that a sucessful solo career. Yes, he's douchey, but he is far more talented than Mr. Love.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:28:59 AM »

Warmth of the Sun is top shelf. But Desperado, as Henley presents it in concert, is the clear winner to this day.

Used to like that one a lot, but now I find it maudlin, like a TV movie starring Jane Seymour.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »

I don't see them as too similar beyond that both would gladly embrace getting rich via corporate rock --as would I(sign me up). :-)
Plus Henley likes to play up his Texas roots here and there so I view him more as a transplant.

The Eagles and Geffen mastered corporate rock and though hollow their musicianship his really high.
I had to learn some of the guitar parts and have a lot of respect for all their talents.
I also read the Felder book which was okay.

They sang harmonies well too but with simpler arrangements.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:33:08 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »

dupe post
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:00:05 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 08:22:37 AM »

Henley is a great orator, a particularly meticulous wordsmith. Both men possess voices that would be among the most recognizable in Rock and Roll.

Their upbringings are very different. Henley was an only child from a small town in East Texas, Love from a large family in California. Both of their fathers ran their own businesses though.

Henley gradually increased his role in Eagles, primarily as he and Frey started to write together. I think Don was far more interested in expanding his musical horizons than Mike ever was.

Don always relied on musical partnerships to deliver his vision, to great success, whether it be Frey, Danny Kortchmar, or Stan Lynch. Mikes collaborations with Terry Melcher, and Dean Torrence were less fruitful.

Both lead vocalists for arguably America's biggest bands.
Both have their moments where it appears they might be a little 'difficult'
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 08:30:06 AM »

Further to Dave's question, of relevance. Henley's latest release Cass County, was number 1 on the Billboard Country Charts (Number 3 on the 200)

That's impressive, in this day and age.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »

myKe luHv was the least cool dressing like a clown, a man in a long robe, and a flashy pimp. His solo efforts were not only substandard, but embarrassing. Henley on the other hand, blended well with the times, stayed relevant, was a great musician and had a top notch voice unlike the greedster.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 08:44:44 AM »

There's NO comparison.  Still relevant?  Don by a C O U N T R Y mile.  He has a [relatively] new album [country] out and his success is just the other side of a week or so ago.  WAY better writer and composer and he can play musical instruments.  AND he has a sense of humour regarding himself.

"What has 3 legs and an asshole on TOP?  A drum stool."...Don Henley.

His solo career has also yielded actual success.  [in 2 centuries including THIS one.]

This was easy.  Warmth of the Sun vs a body of work that puts most men to shame?  There's no comparison.  0.  Nada.  Not a sniff.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only fact which makes the question marginally legit?  Mike had something Don never had...Brian.  ...[plus Carl, Denny, Al, Bruce, David, Blondie, Ricky...and for a short bit Glen.]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:47:46 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »

I would have to say that Add Some wins this dubious post by a country mile. The only similarity I can see between the two is the fact that Henley also occasionally acts like an asshole .
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »

Darian Sahanaja's much circulated recollection let's us know what Brian Wilson thinks... "We were in the dressing room at this fundraiser in New York, and Don Henley and Timothy Schmidt from The Eagles walked in. And Timothy was very nice, but Don was just kind of aloof and walking around the room. And finally, after a few minutes of chatting, Don pulls out a copy of Pet Sounds on CD that he wants Brian to sign.

So Brian grabs it and he signs, "To Don, thanks for all the great music." And he's handing it back to Don, but before Don can take it, he grabs it back and he crosses out "great" and puts "good music." [Laughs.] And the thing is, there's no irony there. He's not being funny. He's really thinking, "I wrote 'great,' but I don't think it's great. But it's good. It's good music." And he handed it back to Don, and it was perfect.
"
halblaineisgood
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »

Who was the better replacement bassist? Whose glue was musically stronger?  Who was the glue?  for their respective groups?

Oh no Buckethead Just died.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:35:09 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 10:55:05 AM »

Glenn Frey is the Mike Love of The Eagles. 
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »

Henley? Love? Relevant? Magnet? I don't know.  What I do know is that I like about five Eagles songs - Lyin' Eyes, Desperado, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Take It Easy, the one about the new kid in school, maybe another one or so- but I love about 500 Beach Boys songs. If there are that many.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »

Well, I guess after 2012 there's another connection between them...  Grin

Love not only caught his bandmates off guard with his press release stating he would no longer be requiring their services once the reunion tour wrapped, he also inflamed feelings in the Eagles camp when he explained to The Times his reason for dispatching the other original Beach Boys.

“You’ve got to be careful not to get overexposed,” Love said last week when the group members gathered at the Grammy Museum for the opening of a new Beach Boys 50th anniversary exhibit and an evening salute to their musical legacy. “There are promoters who are interested [in more shows by the reunited lineup], but they’ve said, ‘Give it a rest for a year.’ The Eagles found out the hard way when they went out for a second year and wound up selling tickets for $5.”

That won Love no fans among the Eagles, with whom the Beach Boys have toured in the past.

“Two things that we know for certain:  Mr. Love will never allow the facts get in the way of his ramblings and he will never miss an opportunity to regurgitate his venom,” the Eagles’ spokesman wrote in a letter to Love’s publicist Jay Jones, which was copied to The Times. “Lest we forget, during his acceptance speech at the Beach Boys' Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, which was ostensibly about the importance of harmony and how the Beach Boys ‘love all people,’ Mr. Love attacked Paul McCartney and Diana Ross for not being in the room.  He then went on to say that ‘Mick Jagger has always been [afraid] to get on the stage with the Beach Boys."

“Since 1994 when the Eagles reunited, they have performed more than 600 shows worldwide,” the letter continued. “Neither the band nor its reps are aware of any promoter accusing them of being ‘overexposed.’ Regarding Mr. Love’s statement about Eagles tickets being sold for $5, according to our records that did happen on June 21, 1975, when the band performed at Wembley Stadium with the Beach Boys.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/28/entertainment/la-et-ms-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-reunion-tour-eagles-20120928

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

LOL LOL LOL
The only similarity I can see between the two is the fact that Henley also occasionally acts like an asshole .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:58:34 AM by SteveMC » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »

Mike Love and Don Henley are unacceptable and they both should be eliminated.

I'll take the first part of that action.   Brow

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 01:41:47 PM »

I don't know much about the Eagles, but I think Don Henley writes music as well as lyrics and has had some solo hits, right?
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »

You many know Boys Of Summer...he's more a melody and words guy.
I don't know much about the Eagles, but I think Don Henley writes music as well as lyrics and has had some solo hits, right?

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 01:49:02 PM »

The Dude sums it up for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »

You many know Boys Of Summer...he's more a melody and words guy.
Ah yes, Boys of Summer. Never really liked it, but it certainly was successful.

and Marty Castillo - well, that settles it - no Eagles for me!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »

Darian Sahanaja's much circulated recollection let's us know what Brian Wilson thinks... "We were in the dressing room at this fundraiser in New York, and Don Henley and Timothy Schmidt from The Eagles walked in. And Timothy was very nice, but Don was just kind of aloof and walking around the room. And finally, after a few minutes of chatting, Don pulls out a copy of Pet Sounds on CD that he wants Brian to sign.

So Brian grabs it and he signs, "To Don, thanks for all the great music." And he's handing it back to Don, but before Don can take it, he grabs it back and he crosses out "great" and puts "good music." [Laughs.] And the thing is, there's no irony there. He's not being funny. He's really thinking, "I wrote 'great,' but I don't think it's great. But it's good. It's good music." And he handed it back to Don, and it was perfect.
"

That's an awesome story, and I can see Henley being totally cool with that. He's always been careful to point out that he feels bands like The Beatles and The Stones are on a different level than Eagles.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »

Well, I guess after 2012 there's another connection between them...  Grin

Love not only caught his bandmates off guard with his press release stating he would no longer be requiring their services once the reunion tour wrapped, he also inflamed feelings in the Eagles camp when he explained to The Times his reason for dispatching the other original Beach Boys.

“You’ve got to be careful not to get overexposed,” Love said last week when the group members gathered at the Grammy Museum for the opening of a new Beach Boys 50th anniversary exhibit and an evening salute to their musical legacy. “There are promoters who are interested [in more shows by the reunited lineup], but they’ve said, ‘Give it a rest for a year.’ The Eagles found out the hard way when they went out for a second year and wound up selling tickets for $5.”

That won Love no fans among the Eagles, with whom the Beach Boys have toured in the past.

“Two things that we know for certain:  Mr. Love will never allow the facts get in the way of his ramblings and he will never miss an opportunity to regurgitate his venom,” the Eagles’ spokesman wrote in a letter to Love’s publicist Jay Jones, which was copied to The Times. “Lest we forget, during his acceptance speech at the Beach Boys' Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, which was ostensibly about the importance of harmony and how the Beach Boys ‘love all people,’ Mr. Love attacked Paul McCartney and Diana Ross for not being in the room.  He then went on to say that ‘Mick Jagger has always been [afraid] to get on the stage with the Beach Boys."

“Since 1994 when the Eagles reunited, they have performed more than 600 shows worldwide,” the letter continued. “Neither the band nor its reps are aware of any promoter accusing them of being ‘overexposed.’ Regarding Mr. Love’s statement about Eagles tickets being sold for $5, according to our records that did happen on June 21, 1975, when the band performed at Wembley Stadium with the Beach Boys.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/28/entertainment/la-et-ms-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-reunion-tour-eagles-20120928
Why bother dragging another band into an interview? Never understood why artists would do it. Plant made a comment about Eagles touring as well, a while back.
I remember Henley being critical of  the CSNY2K tour being too long a 3 hours. But I think the Eagles ended up doing shows of a similar length on their Farewell I outing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx