gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:07:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Honey album cover..  (Read 12232 times)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »

My God, who did the color coordination for the carpets and upholstery in the house(s)?

60's, baby, 60's.  Wink
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »

Compared to the window to the right of Brian it doesn't seem like that much light is coming out. I would be really surprised if Brian had a giant painting of the Wild Honey cover in his house, though.

If you look at the light spillage on his right arm (as well as on the sofa to the left), there appears to be almost as much light coming through as from the window to the right. That's definitely a stained-glass window.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »

Yeah, but..............NHC, I know Marilyn was only what, 18 years old at the time, but there's more color variation there than on a Christmas tree! And I'm no decorator, but look at the yucko colors! Baby Diaper Greens and Browns with blue rugs..........geeeez! And this was a rock star's house! I didn't think the Bellagio furnishings were all that hot either when I was there - very surprising considering the amount of money they had. And we're talking Beverly Hills and Bel-Aire here..........not a tract home in suburban Hawthorne!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:22:58 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »

I'm bumping this four year old thread because I finally finished my Wild Honey stained glass project! So, here's the story - like I said in my original post my grandma was concerned about the level of detail in the picture and that we needed to blow it up so big to make the pieces a size she was comfortable working with. She decided instead to make me a set of lamps inspired by the cover but her own freestyle pattern instead. Unbeknownst to me at the time, she also decided that the red/yellow colors and the bee weren't my style and changed things a little. A year or so passes, the subject is never brought up and I basically forget about it. Then she gets diverticulitis, goes into a nursing home and dies in September 2013. In September 2015 my grandpa also passed away and we started going through their possessions when I was home for his services.

What do I find in a chest in the dining room? All her stained glass stuff, including two 3/4 of the way finished lamps and my nicest looking copy of Wild Honey. I love the pattern she ended up using, and she was right, these colors are more my style and go better with the stuff in my house. I also like that it's now more of it's own thing that was inspired by the cover design instead of just aping it. I finished the first lamp and hope to finish the second one soon. All that needed done was soldering the pieces together, which is by a wide margin the easiest part. I just took these with my phone, so these pictures aren't terrific, and I am not a craftsy person so I wasn't sure how they'd turn out but I'm overall very happy with this first one.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:11:05 AM by Amanda Hart » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 11:54:41 AM »

I'm bumping this four year old thread because I finally finished my Wild Honey stained glass project! So, here's the story - like I said in my original post my grandma was concerned about the level of detail in the picture and that we needed to blow it up so big to make the pieces a size she was comfortable working with. She decided instead to make me a set of lamps inspired by the cover but her own freestyle pattern instead. Unbeknownst to me at the time, she also decided that the red/yellow colors and the bee weren't my style and changed things a little. A year or so passes, the subject is never brought up and I basically forget about it. Then she gets diverticulitis, goes into a nursing home and dies in September 2013. In September 2015 my grandpa also passed away and we started going through their possessions when I was home for his services.

What do I find in a chest in the dining room? All her stained glass stuff, including two 3/4 of the way finished lamps and my nicest looking copy of Wild Honey. I love the pattern she ended up using, and she was right, these colors are more my style and go better with the stuff in my house. I also like that it's now more of it's own thing that was inspired by the cover design instead of just aping it. I finished the first lamp and hope to finish the second one soon. All the needed done was sauntering the pieces together, which is by a wide margin the easiest part. I just took these with my phone, so these pictures aren't terrific, and I am not a craftsy person so I wasn't sure how they'd turn out but I'm overall very happy with this first one.

Just beautiful...and in the dining room chest...

waiting for you...and those pictures are great!

Love
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »

That was a lovely story, fabulous artwork!  My Gran also died of diverticulitis having been in a nursing home.  This story struck a chord with me.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »

That was a lovely story, fabulous artwork!  My Gran also died of diverticulitis having been in a nursing home.  This story struck a chord with me.

I'm sure any family that's had someone in a place like that can relate to how horrible it is. My grandpa had a brain hemorrhage in 2009 and had been in some kind of facility since, so in a way it was nice that she got to spend her last months sharing a room with him. I'm the only member of that side of the family that lives more than forty miles away, so someone was with them for every meal and as a family we were very involved in their care. I feel awful for the people that don't have family to advocate for them to the staff, because most of the staff at those places are under paid and overworked so there is high turnover and a lot of people who don't care about what they're doing anymore.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 11:38:40 PM »

Since this thread has reappeared it seems an opportune moment to ask if anyone knows the whereabouts, oh has anything of ex-road manager Arny Geller, who reported took the photo of the WH window ?
Just been talking with Craig Butler (Geller/Butler Advertising on the Friends sleeve) and Dave McMacken (Friends artist) but Arny seems to have vanished to one and all. After '68 his name appears to disappear off the radar ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 04:15:49 AM »

Quite beautiful Amanda, very Art Deco! Quite an heirloom, I'd be overwhelmed.

“We live in divisive times.”
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »

Quite beautiful Amanda, very Art Deco! Quite an heirloom, I'd be overwhelmed.

Thank you! It is a nice heirloom and I'm glad I got to have a hand in completing it. Plus it gave me something to do on these couple of days of bed rest  Tongue
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »

It is beautiful. Your grandmother was quite an artist.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »

Beautiful, especially the dragonflies.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »

I hadn't noticed the dragonflies! I thought it a subject-free pattern. I love it more!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 08:54:10 PM »

I must say, the Wild Honey cover is possibly my favorite. Up there with Surfs Up and Love You

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 09:28:57 PM »

Say what you will, Amanda, but it looks to me like a smiling funny face with 2 teeth & a gap. I enjoy looking at catalogs of hand-made stuff, people have such creativity it's amazing. I think it passes from granny to mother to granddaughter. Cool lamp.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »

I hadn't noticed the dragonflies! I thought it a subject-free pattern. I love it more!

+1… Smiley

Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 05:01:12 AM »

Jeff Foskett never had the window. I know it from Daniel.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 06:57:57 AM »

+1… Smiley

Good one John...we will get this catching on....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »

Weird, I don't see dragonflies - from what angle you see them? I just see faces.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:51 PM »

Weird, I don't see dragonflies - from what angle you see them? I just see faces.

Zoom in on the blue panels - they're the wings; the longer green vertical panels are the bodies, facing down the way … they even have eyes if you look close enough. Smiley

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 08:36:47 AM »

Zoom in on the blue panels - they're the wings; the longer green vertical panels are the bodies, facing down the way … they even have eyes if you look close enough. Smiley

Maybe it's the difference between seeing it in person versus pictures, but the dragonflies are the thing that stand out the most to me. That's what I got instead of a bee. It fits the color scheme and shape of the lamp better. The wing detail is painted on sauder. The wings are light blue, bodies green and yes, John's right, little red eyes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx