gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:32:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comparing The Top Artists, Past And Present, By Vocal Range  (Read 2303 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/top-artists-vocal-range_n_5357698.html

Interesting analysis of pop vocal ranges. Curiously, according to this Brian Wilson has a narrower vocal range than David Bowie (RIP), Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Bono and Tom Waits, among others. But wider than Justin Bieber. Discuss.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/top-artists-vocal-range_n_5357698.html

Interesting analysis of pop vocal ranges. Curiously, according to this Brian Wilson has a narrower vocal range than David Bowie (RIP), Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Bono and Tom Waits, among others. But wider than Justin Bieber. Discuss.

I think he probably does have a narrower range than those people. Elvis in particular had quite a staggering range, and Bowie and Lennon both had very strong falsettos, though they didn't use them as much as Brian.
However, they can't prove that by the chart, which has Brian's lowest note as being on Shortenin' Bread -- I think they're thinking of Dennis' bass vocal there...
Vocal range isn't as important as technique, though. *I* have about as wide a vocal range as Brian, but no-one will ever know if I'm telling the truth about that, because no-one can hear me sing two notes without telling me to shut up...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »

Very interesting. Barry White has a wide range and people often only focus on high notes.

But, ya know, they are referencing notes in songs. Many singers choose to stay in their sweet spot, think of Karen Carpenter whereas Axl screamed his way into some crazy high notes which works in hard rock --would not work in other styles.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:49:16 PM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »

Good points. Does anyone know his range during his Don't Talk Put Your Head unused vocal section? 

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »

I'm by no means an expert on vocal ranges, but isn't Brian's voice higher on TSS Surf's Up?  It sounds higher on Forever as well.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »

No problem with the list but would be interested to see where Fankie Valli would fit in.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 05:13:42 AM »

I think a big part of the BBs vocal blend was that they didn't have a true baritone (let alone bass) singer though Mike did a good job covering it, their vocal blend is very bright sounding. It gives a very different sound than other vocal groups.  I don't think Dennis was a true baritone but I could be wrong, I always thought of him like a tenor 2 Michael Stipe type of tenor rather than having the Jim Morrison range.

The Beach Boys would have sounded totally different with a bass voice like Ray Walker of The Jordanaires.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:19:42 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »

COMMENT:   F.Y.I.

I doubt if any of you remember Yma Sumac, an Aztec recording artist. She became an international success based on her extreme vocal range, which was said to be "well over five octaves" or otherwise was claimed to span over five octaves, at the peak of her singing career. Sumac recorded an extraordinarily wide vocal range of 5 octaves, 3 notes and a semitone ranging from E2 to B♭7 (approximately 107 Hz to 3.7 kHz). In one live recording of "Chuncho", she sings a range of over four and a half octaves, from B1 to F#7. She was able to sing notes in the low baritone register as well as notes above the range of an ordinary soprano & notes in the Whistle Register. Both low and high extremes can be heard in the song Chuncho (The Forest Creatures) (1953). She was also apparently able to sing in an eerie "double voice".

Here is Chuncho by Yma Sumac -- about as far away from Beach Boy harmonies as you can get >>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry7WgPZ_wok

This live performance is a bit more musical and you may actually like it >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37CMXcKwf5c

~swd
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »

Thanks for the links, Stephen. Found this as well. Fascinating stuff, overtone singing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vC9Qh709gas

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx