gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:55:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Streaming services and device  (Read 1300 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but I don't think there's a general music thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.

I'm going to cave and subscribe to a streaming service. Does anyone have any opinions or information that will help me make a choice among them?

Also, can anyone recommend an inexpensive Bluetooth and Wi-Fi device that I can get for the sole purpose of receiving the service and sending it to my speakers?

Smiley
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »

Apple Music seems more confusing to me than Spotify. At least, the new iOS Music app is more confusing.

Before people start getting into hissy fits about music streaming and how little it pays artists, in its defense, I use music streaming to get to know more artists....... and then I end up buying their bandcamp/vinyl, so in the end, I do support artists Tongue.

Anyway, Spotify is cool just because it's so easy to make playlists and share them with your friends. Although I have heard that Google Play and Tidal pay artists better?

Amazon has a ton of bluetooth speakers. My friend got this one for a white elephant gift exchange, and it looks really cool (they don't have an aux input I don't think, though). If you're not looking for light-up speakers, then there are these little boxes that seem to work pretty well.

I have these from a Christmas gift. I hook up bluetooth and my record player to them. They're bulky but they're nice for a poor college student who doesn't have money/space for nice speakers Tongue. http://www.amazon.com/DPI-2-1-Speaker-System-Wireless/dp/B00BHZL4C0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1452716576&sr=8-9&keywords=bluetooth+speakers+subwoofer

If you find yourself using those apple headphones that come with iPhones, you should also switch to something like these. They're not Bose but at least I think they're good.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:05:21 PM »

I use Spotify.  Don't have the premium version, not worth it to me.  I'd rather sit through a minute or so of commercials.  But I just use it to listen to music I already bought when I don't feel like getting out my phone or iPod. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »

Thanks guys. This is a good start for me.
Spotify sounds good. I will pay because it's mainly for my daughter to find new music and I don't like her to be exposed to much advertising, for both of our sakes!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 02:28:01 AM »

Stick with Vinyl..

but seriously I pay for Spotify and its great for discovering stuff

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:43:19 AM »

I love that cartoon!
gfx