gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:34:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Bowie R.I.P.  (Read 4670 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »

Blackstar is the first Bowie album where the man is not on the cover in some form or other. We should have known that something was up. It's like the album cover was practically telling us "I'm gone now."

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 10:58:30 PM »

I've rambled on here before about how when guys like this leave us, they have no way of knowing all the little ways they touched the world.  I was never a huge Bowie fan, but of course enjoyed his music whenever I heard it, just never really got into him in a huge way.

Anyways, I own a video game store.  We're located on this little downtown street, and we sell arcade games, etc.  So, the locals sometimes tell us these stories, one guy came in several years ago and let us know that our street (1 block long) used to have a bar, back in the day, called "Godzillas" !  They had pool tables, and pinball machines like we have, he couldn't remember exactly which building it was.

A couple years later, a guy lets us know that the church owned a couple buildings too, and one also had arcade games, and pinball machines in it, couldn't remember exactly which building.

About a year ago, a woman came in and told us about how she used to come down here, and there was this one building that had an awesome bar in it, she couldn't remember exactly which building either.  Anyways, she talks about how she used to go down there, and all her friends would be there, they'd play pool, they'd drink, they'd play the jukebox so loud the walls would shake.  She's telling us how much she misses that place, she met her husband there, etc. 

So, the name of the bar?  "Young Americans".  Her favorite place back in the late 70's. 

People like David Bowie never understand their immense contribution to the world, even though it's just music it has the ability to make people feel joy and makes life that much better.  He never knew about that place, how could he?   Making that song though inspired some guy's bar, which inspired people that used to visit it, and people still talk about it.  I'm talking about it right now. 

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »

There was a nice 'send off' down here in New Orleans yesterday afternoon, courtesy of Arcade Fire and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, who wound their way through the French Quarter with loads of fans in what's known as a 'second line' parade.

I'm unable to put a video on but there are a number of them available online.

One is 'A la Nouvelle-Orleans, Arcade Fire parade en hommage a David Bowie' from Le Huffington Post

RIP Mr Bowie.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:34:14 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »

Blackstar is the first Bowie album where the man is not on the cover in some form or other. We should have known that something was up. It's like the album cover was practically telling us "I'm gone now."

Good observation there.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 03:28:24 AM »

One is 'A la Nouvelle-Orleans, Arcade Fire parade en hommage a David Bowie' from Le Huffington Post

That's the way to do it. Thanks for the heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivbw7skNujI

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2016, 09:21:15 AM »

Last Monday, the day when most people found out about Bowie's death, Todd Rundgren, with no words spoken about the man, ended his show with 'Rebel Rebel'. That really got to me, one of my musical heroes honoring the passing of another of my musical heroes in that way.

If you're interested:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pd3yvrz

And David Bowie has the #1 album on Billboard. Unbelievably that's the first time ever. It does my heart good to see the outpouring of tributes, comments and emotions that his passing has created. I'm sure there will be a major tribute to him on the Grammys next month too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:01:08 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx