gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681496 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 08:10:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New article on my part in helping Brian leave Eugene Landy  (Read 8938 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:02 AM »

For anyone interested in my work in helping to free Brian Wilson from the clutches of Eugene Landy, I have put together a summary of the work I did in helping Brian to cutoff his abusive relationship.The article, entitled Free Brian Wilson, may be found at my Reuminations blog at blogspot.com The address is: peternreum @blogspot.com

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:33:56 AM »

For anyone interested in my work in helping to free Brian Wilson from the clutches of Eugene Landy, I have put together a summary of the work I did in helping Brian to cutoff his abusive relationship.The article, entitled Free Brian Wilson, may be found at my Reuminations blog at blogspot.com The address is: peternreum @blogspot.com

Did it again, Peter  - that's your email addy.  Still.  Grin

Seriously, Peter was a vital cog in the machine that helped liberate Brian. Anything he has to say is essential reading.

Edit: just read it. As Hemingway would phrase it, the true gen.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:43:12 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:09:46 AM »

What a heart-warming read, Peter. You saved Brian's life, period.

At http://peternreum.blogspot.nl/

I continued reading and eventually revisited your "search of the perfect record" article. Your first choice (they're in no particular order, but still) is one of mine, The Flamingos' astonishing "I Only Have Eyes For You". "Don't Worry, Baby" is another. It's hard to imagine a life without music.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:34 AM »

Peter - ya know ya coulda just BEAT LANDY UP! Oops, wrong thread...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 05:00:50 AM »

Love a guy who does his homework!   Love

Going to the conference on the deleterious effects of early/mid gen of psychotropic drugs, prior to your under-the-radar assessment at the BB fan conference!  

Thank you for your bold and brave initiative and role in the rescue mission.  

And for finding that Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue tape, that helped Brian hold on in that dark hour.  Brian's work, with Pet Sounds has done that for the whole world in an hour of darkness.  You returned the favor in kind for us all.

Thanks again, Peter.  Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:06:44 AM »

perfect! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:07 AM »

Thanks for sharing! Do you remember which version of Rhapsody in Blue you tracked down?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »

LOL
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »

Be fair, Landy was sober, well, and capable of defending himself. It's only right and proper to beat up ill people, and only then if they're also intoxicated and you're bigger than them. And ideally either they'll be a pacifist or you'll bring your friend to help...

Yes, Peter's description here is of how people managed *effectively* to remove Brian from a damaging situation, without hurting *anyone*, and with genuine concern for Brian's wellbeing. This is (one reason) why Peter is such a respected figure.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 06:54:33 AM »

Be fair, Landy was sober, well, and capable of defending himself. It's only right and proper to beat up ill people, and only then if they're also intoxicated and you're bigger than them. And ideally either they'll be a pacifist or you'll bring your friend to help...

Yes, Peter's description here is of how people managed *effectively* to remove Brian from a damaging situation, without hurting *anyone*, and with genuine concern for Brian's wellbeing. This is (one reason) why Peter is such a respected figure.
You partially joke, but you effectively point out the difference between respectable and contemptible.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »

I found the cd version of the recording Brian wanted   some years ago. It is by Stanley Black and the Royal Festival Orchestra, and also includes two other Gershwin compositions, An American in Paris, and the Porgy and Bess Suite.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »

Peter, thank you for doing what you did for Brian along with the others.

When I watched the Love and Mercy Film Kevin Leslie appears concerned and tells Melinda that Gene doesn't know he's there.  He also has a look on his face in the studio scene when he's standing next to Landy.  The look is apologetic and sympathetic.  At the time I wondered about his role with Brian and it got me thinking about the role those guys played in the whole sorry saga.  Kevin's reaction in the film makes more sense after reading your article.  Is it possible he passed the tapes on which helped to save Brian?

There was a link to a Facebook page on here not too long ago purporting to be Kevin's.  I think many people assumed those guys were all like Landy but seeing the film and reading your article has made me reappraise their role. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »

When I watched the Love and Mercy Film Kevin Leslie appears concerned and tells Melinda that Gene doesn't know he's there.  He also has a look on his face in the studio scene when he's standing next to Landy.  The look is apologetic and sympathetic.  At the time I wondered about his role with Brian and it got me thinking about the role those guys played in the whole sorry saga.  Kevin's reaction in the film makes more sense after reading your article.  Is it possible he passed the tapes on which helped to save Brian?

There was a link to a Facebook page on here not too long ago purporting to be Kevin's.  I think many people assumed those guys were all like Landy but seeing the film and reading your article has made me reappraise their role.  
In this interview (posted recently on another thread), Mark Linett distinguishes a bit between Kevin Leslie and Carl Andy Dean.

eta - here's the link: http://www.examiner.com/article/examiner-exclusive-mark-linett-discusses-brian-wilson-s-1988-solo-album
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:46:34 PM by Emily » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »

When I watched the Love and Mercy Film Kevin Leslie appears concerned and tells Melinda that Gene doesn't know he's there.  He also has a look on his face in the studio scene when he's standing next to Landy.  The look is apologetic and sympathetic.  At the time I wondered about his role with Brian and it got me thinking about the role those guys played in the whole sorry saga.  Kevin's reaction in the film makes more sense after reading your article.  Is it possible he passed the tapes on which helped to save Brian?

There was a link to a Facebook page on here not too long ago purporting to be Kevin's.  I think many people assumed those guys were all like Landy but seeing the film and reading your article has made me reappraise their role.  
In this interview (posted recently on another thread), Mark Linett distinguishes a bit between Kevin Leslie and Carl Dean.

eta - here's the link: http://www.examiner.com/article/examiner-exclusive-mark-linett-discusses-brian-wilson-s-1988-solo-album

Yeah, Kevin Leslie is definitely the one that people seem to have thought was the worst. There's a lot of stuff in The Wilson Project about how Leslie was trying to learn how to engineer records, so that he, Brian, and Landy could work without any "outside interference", and he kept trying to take over the Usher/Wilson sessions...

(No knowledge about which "Surf Nazi" was passing information to Peter, I'm just talking about other publicly-available stuff).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »

I found the cd version of the recording Brian wanted   some years ago. It is by Stanley Black and the Royal Festival Orchestra, and also includes two other Gershwin compositions, An American in Paris, and the Porgy and Bess Suite.

Yes!  I have that on CD, purchased probably summer of 1993 when we moved to Guam.  I love the version of "I Loves You Porgy".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »

Fascinating, much thanks for the insight.

I wonder what Landy's motivation was to have all of Brian's daily activities videotaped. I mean, did it NEVER dawn on Landy that they could one day be used against him? I guess Landy only thought they were a means of controlling Brian, making Brian afraid to break Landy's rules while being recorded doing so... but how truly weird is it that Landy - as conniving and crafty as he was - never realized that it's not good to do illegal things like fudge with medical prescriptions while being videotaped doing such? What a dummy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:03:49 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 12:57:56 PM »

Peter - I've always wanted to hear the details of your role in getting Brian away from Landy and into appropriate support.

Thanks for doing that for Brian, or anyone else in need of help and for the continued support you provide to people who need it - Alan

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »

I wonder what Landy's motivation was to have all of Brian's daily activities videotaped. I mean, did it NEVER dawn on Landy that they could one day be used against him? I guess Landy only thought they were a means of controlling Brian, making Brian afraid to break Landy's rules while being recorded doing so... but how truly weird is it that Landy - as conniving and crafty as he was - never realized that it's not good to do illegal things like fudge with medical prescriptions while being videotaped doing such? What a dummy.

Thinking you're invulnerable is an aspect of grandiose narcissism.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »

So I guess at least one of the 'surf nazi's' had some concern for Brian. All I can say is, Brian is really blessed to have fans like Peter that would help him like this.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »

In this interview (posted recently on another thread), Mark Linett distinguishes a bit between Kevin Leslie and Carl Dean.

Andy Dean...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »

Andy Dean...
oop. Thanks.
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »

Thinking you're invulnerable is an aspect of grandiose narcissism.

Yeah, look at Richard Nixon.

Peter, that was a great read and puts so much in context.  You've done a great service to a lot of people. Thank you.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »

Peter, thank you.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »

Thank you Emily for the link to the interview with Mark Linett.

Still begs the question why the film makes the character of Kevin Leslie sympathetic and 'likeable'.  There was also the dinner seen when Kevin and his GF leave Brian and Melinda alone.  I thought Kevin would never do that.  Maybe artistic license?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »

Thank you Emily for the link to the interview with Mark Linett.

Still begs the question why the film makes the character of Kevin Leslie sympathetic and 'likeable'.  There was also the dinner seen when Kevin and his GF leave Brian and Melinda alone.  I thought Kevin would never do that.  Maybe artistic license?

More likely because Leslie is still alive and they didn't want to risk a lawsuit. Though I have to say the character never came across as especially likeable in my viewing...

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx