gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681665 Posts in 27654 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 26, 2024, 02:53:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternate universe: Mike chooses Scientology over TM in 1968  (Read 2450 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »

How does anyone think BB history would be different? We'd probably not have some of the TM-related BB songs, and Scientology-related tunes might have taken their place.

I wonder both how Mike would have personally dealt with the challenges of the band post-1968 sans TM (and without replacing it with any other religion/belief type system), as well as if Scientology had outright replaced the role of TM in his life.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14:58 PM »

Did Scientology have THAT big of a following, a popular following, in 1968?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »

By 1968 Scientology had a pretty respectably sized following, but their campaign to recruit big named celebrities hadn't started yet so it's pretty unlikely that Mike Love would have found his way to Scientology in 1968.

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »

My mom, for one, went to a single Scientology meeting/course thingie while attending UCLA in 1965 or 1966. It did not jive well for her. But that timeline should show that students were being indoctrinated into Scientology at major college campuses as early as those years. Not sure how big the TM movement was by comparison at the time though.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »

Maybe there would be an infamous episode of him jumping on Phil Donahue's couch.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »

How does anyone think BB history would be different? We'd probably not have some of the TM-related BB songs, and Scientology-related tunes might have taken their place.

I wonder both how Mike would have personally dealt with the challenges of the band post-1968 sans TM (and without replacing it with any other religion/belief type system), as well as if Scientology had outright replaced the role of TM in his life.

Assuming he sticks with it? Theyd milk him for every last cent, hed be even weirder and more pompous, hed be against Brian getting any kind of treatment, would write songs about E-meters and Xenu instead of TM on all their 70s albums, and would probably be estranged from the band. Honestly, it may even be a better scenario than what we got for everyone except him.

Incidentally, read Going Clear if you havent. Fascinating book about the evils of the church. The HBO doc doesnt do it justice
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:02:26 PM by Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »

I only know of one pop group that embraced Scientology: Canadians Edward Bear, known in the US for their 1972 hit "Last Song". Their followup album in '73 has a blurb for Scientology on the back.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 11:11:04 PM »

Thank f*** he didn't.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:53:13 PM »

My honest opinion is that Mike's TM is legit, I think it truly has helped him in his life, who knows what crazy sh*t he would have done without it.  I'm glad he was introduced to it and embraced it. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:03 AM »

Everyone's got Xenu with you. Afro

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:20 AM »

I only know of one pop group that embraced Scientology: Canadians Edward Bear, known in the US for their 1972 hit "Last Song". Their followup album in '73 has a blurb for Scientology on the back.

I see Chick Corea has been a Scientologist since 1968:

http://chickcorea.com/all-about-jazz-august-2009/ 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 05:13:08 AM »

I think that Carl would have been the more likely Scientology convert.
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 05:47:21 AM »

He would have seen Carl as a suppressive and would have tried to fire him. He would have Dennis and Al tested for Thetans at their own great expense.  Mike would also have written a concept album about LRH.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 06:07:00 AM »

He would have seen Carl as a suppressive and would have tried to fire him. He would have Dennis and Al tested for Thetans at their own great expense.  Mike would also have written a concept album about LRH.

Belief systems are always tricky.  The difference between meditation (not specifically TM) and Scientology is huge; that being that it has been around for centuries.  Now it is mainstream and recommended by doctors to control cardiovascular systems and in schools to combat violence. 

Scientology, not so much.  Leah Remini might have something to say about their ways.   
KDS
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »

Belief systems are always tricky.  The difference between meditation (not specifically TM) and Scientology is huge; that being that it has been around for centuries.  Now it is mainstream and recommended by doctors to control cardiovascular systems and in schools to combat violence. 

Scientology, not so much.  Leah Remini might have something to say about their ways.   

Scientology is viewed as a little cuckoo in this day and age.  I couldn't imagine the public's reaction if he embraced it in 1968. 

With Brian Wilson's health at the time not in great shape.  Mike's embracing Scientology could've potentially been the death knell for The Beach Boys. 

Even with Carl and Dennis writing good material at the time, I'm not sure if that would've been enough to save the group is the two primary faces of the group (Mike and Brian) were both "off the deep end." 
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »

I see Chick Corea has been a Scientologist since 1968:

http://chickcorea.com/all-about-jazz-august-2009/ 

The Incredible String Band got into it in the late '60s too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »

Maybe there would be an infamous episode of him jumping on Phil Donahue's couch.
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »

Maybe he would have done the soundtrack to Battlefield Earth.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »

Maybe he would have done the soundtrack to Battlefield Earth.

Maybe play Summer in Paradise while watching Battlefield Earth. 

That would be a good way to get terrorists to talk. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:29:03 PM »

My honest opinion is that Mike's TM is legit, I think it truly has helped him in his life, who knows what crazy sh*t he would have done without it.  I'm glad he was introduced to it and embraced it. 
There was a quote about Mike, TM, and his behavior in one of the BB's books, from Rick Nelson: "All I ever thought about that was, what if he DIDN'T meditate?" I agree that it has helped him a lot.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »

Edgar Winter is also  a long-time Scientologist who even made an album based on L Ron Hubbard's  book 'Battlefield Earth'.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »

For all I have gleaned about Scientology over the years, even recently saw a well done documentary called, "Going Clear", I still am not really certain what they are literally all about - other than creepy, scary, power/money madness w/celebrity spokespeople.    police
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx