gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:56:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BWPS: How much input did Brian have?  (Read 98856 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #325 on: July 21, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »

If I was Brian I'd want my name taken off some of those later songs!
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 21, 2006, 08:48:30 AM »

A question regarding Brian's involvement with the Beach Boys circa 1969-71:

If the Boys were desperate for Brian to be involved with them during that time--or at least to create the APPEARANCE that he was involved with them--is it possible that they added his name to the credits of songs that he didn't really write or co-write on albums like SUNFLOWER, SURF'S UP, SO TOUGH, and HOLLAND?

Well, Elvis got his name added to stuff he didn't write, and so did Spector.

I'm now feeling very disillusioned.

I think that what they did, frequently, was finish fragments of Brian's. I think "Marcella" is an example of that. I'm not sure at all that they didn't just take part of "I Just Got My Pay," put new lyrics to it, and re-produce it as a "new" song.

Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think Brian would include "Marcella" in his concert setlists if he didn't have at least SOME involvement in producing the final version (as it appeared on SO TOUGH).

Glenn
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: July 21, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »

GIOMH was in the can by late fall 2003 and being shopped around the record companies by itself... and no-one would take it. That's when it became part of the BWPS, especially post-2/20/04.

As for Brian wanting to release it, well, my ears tell me he wasn't all that interested in the project at all. He didn't pick the tracks and he sure as hell didn't waste too much time doing the vocals properly (when the material engages Brian's interest, he responds... when it doesn't, it's very obvious). In my opinion, the sole redeeming feature of the whole farrago was that it made someone realise that 1) Brian had to sing way better for BWPS; and 2) doing all the bvs by himself wasn't such a good idea in 2003/4.

What was the story about the actual *recording* of that album? I mean, we now know what happened *after* it was done...are there any outtakes?

I don't know if it's a big problem, he was probably sometimes cocredited for songs like "At My Window" or "Deirdre" even if he contributed very little. The big songs like "'Til' I Die" must have been Brian, there's just a marked difference in quality.

Well, Bruce has said Brian had like 5% of contribution to Deirdre. As for At My Window, he probably just wrote the part he sang in French, and the harmony parts (He came...to my...windo-whoa)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: July 21, 2006, 10:40:19 AM »

I mean, heck, "Old Master Painter" exists on the modern album without the fade they cut for it (and I do miss it), so they definitely were not following the mold from '66.

Maybe I don't understand, but "Old master painter" didn't have a fade then and does not now. Or are you talking about another fragment which I don't know....?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2006, 10:52:23 AM »

Maybe I don't understand, but "Old master painter" didn't have a fade then and does not now. Or are you talking about another fragment which I don't know....?
It did have a fade originally, but Brian took it out to use it as the fade to the 'cantina' version of H&V.  The fade is commonly referred to as 'False Barnyard', because there was a time when folks thought that it was a part of 'Barnyard'.  Definitely one of the pieces that I miss the most in BWPS.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 21, 2006, 10:57:50 AM »

It's easier to hear the connection of the two in outtakes, as the initial feel of FB was much closer in the cellos to the close of OMP.  But then Brian corrected the tempo to what he wanted and you have the feel of the version appended to H&V on the twofer.  BTW -- wasn't there a question as to whether FB on H&V was a vintage Brian move vs a later splice, or did Brian edit that all together?  Sometimes it runs together for me.
MBE
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »

If the Boys were desperate for Brian to be involved with them during that time--or at least to create the APPEARANCE that he was involved with them--is it possible that they added his name to the credits of songs that he didn't really write or co-write on albums like SUNFLOWER, SURF'S UP, SO TOUGH, and HOLLAND?

They would have added him to every song if this was the case. Deirdre for instance may not have had Brian do 50 percent but what he did sing and write is great (I assume it's the several lines he does lead on). Brian was involved 69-71, maybe not in charge but involved.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »

It's just one more tidbit to add to the collection of questionable Brian interview segments, but I recall a raw interview tape done with Brian in 1985 (for Westwood One I believe) to promote the BB '85 album. At one point, the interviewer brings up the "Surf's Up" album, and specifically I believe "Take A Load Off Your Feet", which is a song that has sometimes carried Brian's name in the credits and certainly features Brian singing the first line, and Brian reacts in this interview in total confusion as if he's never even heard of the song and seems to have little or no recall about the album as a whole. Whether this just means his memory failed him, or if he was not terribly involved in the song or the album, or some other reason, I don't know. I imagine that if the interviewer would have played him the song, Brian probably would have recognized it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2006, 03:35:24 PM »

They would have added him to every song if this was the case. Deirdre for instance may not have had Brian do 50 percent but what he did sing and write is great (I assume it's the several lines he does lead on). Brian was involved 69-71, maybe not in charge but involved.

According to Bruce, Brian contributed maybe 5% to the song, but Bruce gave him 50% anyway. As i recall his lyrical contribution was along the lines of "My friend is Bob/He has a job".

Been some time since I listened to it - which lines does Brian sing ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: July 21, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »

These lines:
These nights, pretty nights, that were meant to be
With you and me
It's the way that we
Always had our love, Deirdre

Or something like that, anyway.

At one point, the interviewer brings up the "Surf's Up" album, and specifically I believe "Take A Load Off Your Feet", which is a song that has sometimes carried Brian's name in the credits and certainly features Brian singing the first line, and Brian reacts in this interview in total confusion as if he's never even heard of the song and seems to have little or no recall about the album as a whole. Whether this just means his memory failed him, or if he was not terribly involved in the song or the album, or some other reason, I don't know. I imagine that if the interviewer would have played him the song, Brian probably would have recognized it.

That was mainly a Jardine joint.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: July 21, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »

These lines:
With you and me
It's the way that we

Or something like that, anyway.

At one point, the interviewer brings up the "Surf's Up" album, and specifically I believe "Take A Load Off Your Feet", which is a song that has sometimes carried Brian's name in the credits and certainly features Brian singing the first line, and Brian reacts in this interview in total confusion as if he's never even heard of the song and seems to have little or no recall about the album as a whole. Whether this just means his memory failed him, or if he was not terribly involved in the song or the album, or some other reason, I don't know. I imagine that if the interviewer would have played him the song, Brian probably would have recognized it.

That was mainly a Jardine joint.

Oh, I know the song was mainly Al's. I think sometimes (if not most of the time), the songwriting credits don't even list Brian's name. (This is one of those weird songs that has conflicting credits over various releases). It just seems odd that Brian did not even remember the song at all (I don't recall exactly how the interview exchange went, but it wasn't as if Brian indicated he just didn't recall too much about the song; as I recall he indicates he has zero recollection/familiarity with the song at all, as if the interviewer could have made up a song title and Brian would have given the same response), considering he did sing on it, and *may* have been involved in some element of the song's creation if his name has sometimes appeared on the writing credits at some point.

That '85 interview was pretty interesting, though. Brian talks a lot about the recording of the BB '85 album and has some strange stories.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 21, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »

BTW -- wasn't there a question as to whether FB on H&V was a vintage Brian move vs a later splice, or did Brian edit that all together?

That was, with 100% certainty, Brian. An edit done Feb. 10th 1967, and found on a safety reel. From there, straight to the Smiley Smile twofer and the GV box. No tampering (well, besides some no-noise, alas) necessary.

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 21, 2006, 07:59:29 PM »

Excellent point.

Glenn
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 21, 2006, 08:02:23 PM »

That '85 interview was pretty interesting, though. Brian talks a lot about the recording of the BB '85 album and has some strange stories.

Feel free to elaborate!  Smiley

Glenn
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 21, 2006, 08:06:39 PM »

Re: Deirdre

These are the lyrics Brian sings throughout the song.  Is it possible he wrote all these sections, or just one?

Good things turn bad but it's over now
So don't look sad 'cause you're older now
Lots of people miss Deirdre

With you and me
It's the way that we

You may not live with me every day
All that I care is that we find a way
To stay together with Deirdre

Glenn
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: July 21, 2006, 08:42:15 PM »

Heh. Forgot to type the other lines...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: July 22, 2006, 05:33:44 AM »

Are you sure it's Brian? Bruce and Bri sounded awfully alot singing with high voice

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: July 22, 2006, 07:25:29 AM »

Re: Deirdre

These are the lyrics Brian sings throughout the song.  Is it possible he wrote all these sections, or just one?

Good things turn bad but it's over now
So don't look sad 'cause you're older now
Lots of people miss Deirdre

With you and me
It's the way that we

You may not live with me every day
All that I care is that we find a way
To stay together with Deirdre

Um, the last lines of those are Mike, not Brian. And to my ears, the rest is a group vocal, Brian taking the top.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 22, 2006, 12:29:32 PM »

I mean, heck, "Old Master Painter" exists on the modern album without the fade they cut for it (and I do miss it), so they definitely were not following the mold from '66.

I thought False Barnyard was originally cut with the OMP lyrics (you can just about hear them on certain outtakes) but Brian wiped them to use FB as the fade to Heroes? He then re-recorded OMP with the Dennis vocal in the form that we hear it in BWPS?  Surely then FB was never intended as a fade to OMP but was just an earlier version of it, or am I mistaken about this?

I do miss False Barnyard on BWPS too. The Western Theme that is on BWPS though, I always think sounds like an elaboration on FB though, so perhaps Brian intended it as a fade to replace FB as the Heroes sessions progressed in 66/67?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 22, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »

You're close -- False Barnyard was originally cut with the OMP lyrics -- but  sung, presumably, by Dennis the same time he sang the verse vocals. Some have said its Mike, but who knows. Point is: they were tracked. And the instrumental session was done on the same day the rest of OMP was cut.

The fragment then moved to H&V in January '67, presumably after "tag to part 1" (recorded Jan. 3) was scotched. The "barnshine" lyrics were then wiped. He then RECUT False Barnyard in February, adding in a Carl "doot-doot" vocal line.

No other version of OMP was ever cut until BWPS.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: July 22, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »

In the meantime, watch what happens when you play it for people who don't know the backstory - like your children.    Do they bop along to it or tune out? 

My now 4 year old son listened to BWPS on Rhapsody about 5 times, from beginning to end.  He loved it.  He even referred to Mrs O'Leary as FIRE.  Smiley

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: July 22, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »

In July 2006 this is what I want to know about Smile.  In September 2000 Durrie Parks E-mailed me stating she had Smile acetates and tapes.

Could someone please tell me if the tapes and acetates are safe?  Further, has anyone (Hello David Leaf) listened to them?

The most recent speculation I have on the acetates can be read here:

http://smileysmile.net/documents/durrieparksacetates.pdf

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: July 22, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

When were Dennis' and Carl's compositions recorded? Maybe those songs had something to do with the voting.

Dennis' "I Don't Know" was recorded Jan 12, 1967.
Carl's "Tones" was recorded March 1967.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: July 22, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »

When were Dennis' and Carl's compositions recorded? Maybe those songs had something to do with the voting.

Dennis' "I Don't Know" was recorded Jan 12, 1967.
Carl's "Tones" was recorded March 1967.

Thanks for clearification ! So, it might have to do something with the voting. What do you think ?

- Jack Rieley
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: July 22, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »

The family dynamics centered around the family business and Brian wanting to take the BBs into fm album rock, which he correctly realized was the next thing to happen in radio. The BBs were stuck in am singles mode. Brian went along out of family duty, feeling he was no longer trusted. After the session on 12/6/66, they met on 12/7 or 12/8, with the BBs rejecting Brian's movement concept for a more conservative, 12 track conventional lp concept. This was submitted to Capitol on 12/10/66, and Smile as a rock opera or cantata was dead.

Brian began working on a 12 track album, when he got told he had to do a single. The rest of the Era we call Smile was essentially a search for that single. Brian's mental state, already fragile, deteriorated rapidly after 12/10/66. Carl took that list to Capitol, but he was not a rebel. His suggestion was probably the 12 track album. But make no mistake about it, Brian stopped having complete control after that meeting in December 1966, and never was the same. He was deeply addicted to amphetamines by January 1967.

I have been told not to ask such questions, but I do anyway:  is this based upon sources you cannot specify for reasons that are none of our business?  Or sources, perhaps, like Carl or Dennis, who are no longer here to discuss such matters?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx