-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Great Seventies Movies
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great Seventies Movies  (Read 16555 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 04:28:46 AM »

I can't believe that I not only forgot about that thread but that I contributed similar things to that thread that I contributed to this one!
KDS
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 05:27:44 AM »

I saw it mentioned already, but its worth mentioning again

Jaws

My favorite movie of all time.  Great writing.  Great acting.  Great music score.  Brilliant directing.  Great pacing.  If a movie like this were made today, it would likely be a bloody / CGI mess. 

Blazing Saddles / Young Frankenstein - Mel Brooks at the top of his game

The Bad News Bears

The Longest Yard

John Carpenter's Halloween - IMO the far and away choice for best slasher movie of all time.  Especially since it actually had plot and suspense, and not one drop of blood. 
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:21 AM »

The Last Picture Show.  1971.

You have to be in a certain mood.  But then it is moving and magical and devastating.
Terrific performances...of course especially by Cloris Leachman (AA).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 06:53:57 AM »

Two favourites of mine that haven't been mentioned yet are Barry Lyndon and The Last Waltz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feEBEpDLTKI

Yes! Two more greats! The Last Waltz really, to me, marked the end of an era.

And, KDS, Mel Brooks' films and the Longest Yard belong on any awesome 70's movies lists.

I tried to watch The Bad News Bears with my daughter, having remembered watching it when I was a kid, and boy have children's movies changed! Reality about adult problems is just not present in movies aimed at children anymore, huh?

Halloween - my brother and I were really little, early elementary school aged,  when that came out and my dad never paid attention to movie advertisements or their ratings. So one day he had some errands to run and just dropped us off at the theater to see what he figured from the title was a kids movie. Ha! I didn't sleep for years. We were both crying when we got out.  Tongue

D Cunningham, I fully agree about The Last Picture Show.

I'm so glad I started this thread. I've heard of some great-sounding movies I've never seen and am being reminded of many that it's time to rewatch.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:22:32 AM by Emily » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:23 AM »

Some great movies being named here:

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are definitely Mel Brooks at his best. The 70s were a great time for comedy as well.

Barry Lyndon is a fantastic work. It probably ranks 4th for my favourite Kubrick movies behind 2001, Paths of Glory, and Strangelove.

The Last Waltz is the concert film, in my opinion.

The Last Picture Show I can't really remember too well but I do remember being blown away by it at the time.

I'd also like to add to the discussion Five Easy Pieces and The Passenger (the latter one of my all time favourites and a frequently overlooked Nicholson movie from that era), and Malick's Badlands and, especially, Days of Heaven.
KDS
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 07:18:36 AM »

Two favourites of mine that haven't been mentioned yet are Barry Lyndon and The Last Waltz.

I tried to watch The Bad News Bears with my daughter, having remembered watching it when I was a kid, and boy have children's movies changed! Reality about adult problems is just not present in movies aimed at children anymore, huh?

Emily, you're right.  Most movies in the 2000s that are family oriented don't focus on adult movies.  Even some of the Charlie Brown movies from the late 60s / 70s showed issues that adults face. 

Kids are being a little too sheltered in this day and age IMO. 

Since I already mentioned Peanuts....here's two Peanuts movies released in the 70s

Snoopy Come Home - Kind of a tearjerker for a Peanuts story, but a really well made cartoon movie

Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown - This was finally released on DVD last year.  A underrated Peanuts gem with the gang going to camp, learning about competition and how to deal with bullies along the way. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »

I agree, regarding sheltered children. I forgot all about Snoopy Come Home and never heard of Race for Your Life, CB... My watch list is growing...
KDS
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »

I agree, regarding sheltered children. I forgot all about Snoopy Come Home and never heard of Race for Your Life, CB... My watch list is growing...

Race For Your Life, CB has kinda been forgotten since it was not available on home video for a long time, and hasn't aired on TV in a long time. 

With the Peanuts reboot, Race For Your Life and the excellent Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (1980) were finally given DVD releases in 2015.
China Pig
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »

Jaws

My favorite movie of all time.  Great writing.  Great acting.  Great music score.  Brilliant directing.  Great pacing.  If a movie like this were made today, it would likely be a bloody / CGI mess. 

Brody would be a young hunk with a troubled teenage emo daughter, Hooper would be a hawt women who has to prove herself to the guys and Quint would be a badass black guy.
KDS
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 08:43:47 AM »

Jaws

Brody would be a young hunk with a troubled teenage emo daughter, Hooper would be a hawt women who has to prove herself to the guys and Quint would be a badass black guy.

Sounds like a Michael Bay remake to me. 
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:35 AM »

Emily, you're right.  Most movies in the 2000s that are family oriented don't focus on adult movies.  Even some of the Charlie Brown movies from the late 60s / 70s showed issues that adults face. 

Since I already mentioned Peanuts....here's two Peanuts movies released in the 70s

Snoopy Come Home - Kind of a tearjerker for a Peanuts story, but a really well made cartoon movie

Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown - This was finally released on DVD last year.  A underrated Peanuts gem with the gang going to camp, learning about competition and how to deal with bullies along the way. 

People in general are. Nowadays, anything offensive is considered unthinkable. Rather than try to reason with the other person, just call them a bigot and/or block them on facebook! It was definitely an eye opener for me when a white woman in her 30s blocked me and called me racist for saying BLM shouldnt be harassing students in a library.  Tongue Nobody wants to deal with reality anymore, when you can find a website or channel that shares 100% of your views and feeds your narrative of the world with their echo chamber. Its gonna have serious repercussions down the line.

And I hate the classic excuse "its for kids" when a kids movie or show sucks. Like, what does that really say about how we see our children? That theyre stupid and deserve badly made entertainment? Very awful way to think about things.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
KDS
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »

People in general are. Nowadays, anything offensive is considered unthinkable. Rather than try to reason with the other person, just call them a bigot and/or block them on facebook! It was definitely an eye opener for me when a white woman in her 30s blocked me and called me racist for saying BLM shouldnt be harassing students in a library.  Tongue Nobody wants to deal with reality anymore, when you can find a website or channel that shares 100% of your views and feeds your narrative of the world with their echo chamber. Its gonna have serious repercussions down the line.

And I hate the classic excuse "its for kids" when a kids movie or show sucks. Like, what does that really say about how we see our children? That theyre stupid and deserve badly made entertainment? Very awful way to think about things.

Mujan,

You hit the nail on the head.  I can't pinpoint when the PC Police were established, but it seems to have happened sometime in the early to mid 1990s.  Now, the world is full of EOPs (easily offended people). 

But I digress.  Back to movies.

My wife and I watched A Boy Named, Charlie Brown (1969) and Snoopy Come Home over the weekend.  I hadn't been either since I was a kid.  And, at 35, I found both of them to still hold up and be very entertaining. In today's climate, I'm a little tentative about seeing the new Peanuts movie, but I have heard good things. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »

John Cassavetes did some good work in the 1970's. A couple of favorites include Husbands, A Woman Under The Influence, and The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie.

I know they're not exactly "works of art" a la the Coppola and Scorcese films, but I always enjoy watching Clint Eastwood in his Dirty Harry movies. And, speaking of Clint Eastwood, he directed another favorite of mine, a 1973 movie called Breezy, starring William Holden and a young Kay Lenz. 
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:24 PM »

Glad that Bubba Ho-Tep (on the earlier thread,  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14993.25.html ) mentioned "Harold and Maude"!

Loved that movie!

Listen, listen, listen...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »

John Cassavetes did some good work in the 1970's. A couple of favorites include Husbands, A Woman Under The Influence, and The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie.

I know they're not exactly "works of art" a la the Coppola and Scorcese films, but I always enjoy watching Clint Eastwood in his Dirty Harry movies. And, speaking of Clint Eastwood, he directed another favorite of mine, a 1973 movie called Breezy, starring William Holden and a young Kay Lenz.  
Thanks for bringing John Cassavetes to my attention. I've done some reading since I saw your post and it looks like I've got a big gap in my movie education. My list grows longer!
I like a Dirty Harry movie now and again too. I do an awful impersonation, but I enjoy doing it anyway.

And Sandy Baby, thanks for reminding me of Harold and Maude. Early Hal Ashby with a great cast and script.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:37:31 PM by Emily » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »

Snoopy Come Home is the Make Way for Tomorrow of the 70s.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »

Jaws

As it was, Hooper was a hawt guy who had to prove himself to the guys!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2016, 08:36:26 PM »

Mujan,

You hit the nail on the head.  I can't pinpoint when the PC Police were established, but it seems to have happened sometime in the early to mid 1990s.  Now, the world is full of EOPs (easily offended people). 

But I digress.  Back to movies.

My wife and I watched A Boy Named, Charlie Brown (1969) and Snoopy Come Home over the weekend.  I hadn't been either since I was a kid.  And, at 35, I found both of them to still hold up and be very entertaining. In today's climate, I'm a little tentative about seeing the new Peanuts movie, but I have heard good things. 
As I've mentioned, I did not keep up with Peanuts feature films (I didn't even know one existed and completely forgot about the other two) but, the Halloween and Christmas specials are sacrosanct to me and when I was about 6 I got a complete collection of the Peanuts comics and have had to replace them a few times because they get so worn. I have a very nice personal and signed response to a letter I wrote to Charles Schultz, a few monographs on Peanuts, etc.
So, big fan. My daughter really wanted to see the new movie; I was reluctant but took her and I loved it. It's very faithful and almost all of it is straight from the actual comics. Whoever wrote it knows the comics really well. I recommend it.
China Pig
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2016, 11:57:44 PM »

Jaws

Hooper may have felt he had to prove himself to Quint who outright didn't respect his educated background, but Hooper was mildly condescending to Brody for his lack of understanding about sharks. Once on the Orca both he and Quint treated Brody like he was little help, so it was Brody who had to prove himself. I still think the Brody/Quint/Hooper character dynamic is the greatest cinematic achievement from a writer/actor point of view.
KDS
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 05:22:51 AM »

Jaws

Hooper may have felt he had to prove himself to Quint who outright didn't respect his educated background, but Hooper was mildly condescending to Brody for his lack of understanding about sharks. Once on the Orca both he and Quint treated Brody like he was little help, so it was Brody who had to prove himself. I still think the Brody/Quint/Hooper character dynamic is the greatest cinematic achievement from a writer/actor point of view.

I'd agree with that.  Three completely different men having to get together to achieve one goal. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2016, 06:25:52 AM »

Jaws

I was partially kidding, just because it was a good setup. I agree with you.
KDS
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:11 AM »

Jaws

In the book, Hooper was a hawt college guy who has an affair with Mrs. Brody.  Personally, I'm glad they left that subplot out of the movie. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 07:09:21 AM »

Jaws

In the book, Hooper was a hawt college guy who has an affair with Mrs. Brody.  Personally, I'm glad they left that subplot out of the movie. 
I didn't remember that! I think they very gently hint that there's at least an interest or connection between them in the movie. The only two people I've written fan letters to were Charles Schultz and Peter Benchley. Both when I was 10 or so and both very kindly wrote actual letters back.
I was a weird Jaws watcher. I was totally on the side of the shark. It's his habitat and he's just doing his shark thing!
KDS
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 07:13:23 AM »

Jaws

I didn't remember that! I think they very gently hint that there's at least an interest or connection between them in the movie. The only two people I've written fan letters to were Charles Schultz and Peter Benchley. Both when I was 10 or so and both very kindly wrote actual letters back.
I was a weird Jaws watcher. I was totally on the side of the shark. It's his habitat and he's just doing his shark thing!

Oh yeah, if they'd left that part in the book, it would've easily received an R rating. 

Speaking of Schultz, my wife and I may go see Peanuts next weekend if it's still playing.  Unfortunately, we won't be able to this weekend. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »

Jaws

Oh yeah, if they'd left that part in the book, it would've easily received an R rating. 

Speaking of Schultz, my wife and I may go see Peanuts next weekend if it's still playing.  Unfortunately, we won't be able to this weekend. 
Was it PG at the time??? Did PG-13 exist?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: