-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:05:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Great Seventies Movies
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great Seventies Movies  (Read 16487 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2016, 07:38:35 AM »

I saw it mentioned already, but its worth mentioning again

Jaws

My favorite movie of all time.  Great writing.  Great acting.  Great music score.  Brilliant directing.  Great pacing.  If a movie like this were made today, it would likely be a bloody / CGI mess. 

Brody would be a young hunk with a troubled teenage emo daughter, Hooper would be a hawt women who has to prove herself to the guys and Quint would be a badass black guy.
As it was, Hooper was a hawt guy who had to prove himself to the guys!

Hooper may have felt he had to prove himself to Quint who outright didn't respect his educated background, but Hooper was mildly condescending to Brody for his lack of understanding about sharks. Once on the Orca both he and Quint treated Brody like he was little help, so it was Brody who had to prove himself. I still think the Brody/Quint/Hooper character dynamic is the greatest cinematic achievement from a writer/actor point of view.
I was partially kidding, just because it was a good setup. I agree with you.

In the book, Hooper was a hawt college guy who has an affair with Mrs. Brody.  Personally, I'm glad they left that subplot out of the movie. 
I didn't remember that! I think they very gently hint that there's at least an interest or connection between them in the movie. The only two people I've written fan letters to were Charles Schultz and Peter Benchley. Both when I was 10 or so and both very kindly wrote actual letters back.
I was a weird Jaws watcher. I was totally on the side of the shark. It's his habitat and he's just doing his shark thing!

Oh yeah, if they'd left that part in the book, it would've easily received an R rating. 

Speaking of Schultz, my wife and I may go see Peanuts next weekend if it's still playing.  Unfortunately, we won't be able to this weekend. 
Was it PG at the time??? Did PG-13 exist?

PG-13 didn't exist until around 1985.  So, Jaws narrowly avoided an R, and got a PG.  Although if digital remastering had existed in 1975 (ie. the opening scene with Chrissie skinny dipping), the movie would've received an R. 

Speilberg had a lot to do with the creation of the PG-13 rating.  Gremlins (which he produced) and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were thought to be too gruesome for PG, but not enough to warrant an R. Thus, PG-13 was created. 
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »

Are we all forgetting about Animal House?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »

Are we all forgetting about Animal House?

Not sure how I forgot that one. 

Good catch.  One of the great comedies of all time.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2016, 10:45:30 PM »

I liked reading this thread even tho I didn't watch 95% of stuff mentioned. & frankly, don't intend to watch any of these movies. The ones you watched that I watched:

Jaws (now this is film me & my "old" folks used to see in VHS. I was 5 or so. We would order lots of horror movies & I liked them all. But I digress. It's a great movie, my favorite was Quint. I hated the ending where shark ate him. Better the 4-eyed guy be dead. Jaws with Dennis Quaid was also great)
Harold & Maude (boring & unrealistic. No way a youngin' can fall for granny. There are similar couples but it's for money. Besides, I never been Cat Stevens fan)
The Exorcist (it was more hilarious than scary. I am 50/50 about it)
Eraserhead (cool sound fx. Gotta say, that's what made the film for me. Without it, it's just a one guy story)
Two-Lane Blacktop (well, duh. BBs fan & all. otherwise, I wouldn't watch. Didn't help that Dennis & James T. can't act)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (good. prefer another Tobe Hooper slasher - Eaten Alive (1976))

That's it. I have yet to see Star Wars -all eps, believe it or not. want to American Graffiti - looking at the trailer, I think I could like it.

I am an 80s movies fan. Police Academy 3, Back to the Future 2, Beverly Hills Cop, My Left Foot, horrors, Jim Jarmusch films (Permanent Vacation, Down by Law, Stranger Than Paradise, Coffee & Cigarettes), Christmas stuff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »

I liked reading this thread even tho I didn't watch 95% of stuff mentioned. & frankly, don't intend to watch any of these movies. The ones you watched that I watched:

Jaws (now this is film me & my "old" folks used to see in VHS. I was 5 or so. We would order lots of horror movies & I liked them all. But I digress. It's a great movie, my favorite was Quint. I hated the ending where shark ate him. Better the 4-eyed guy be dead. Jaws with Dennis Quaid was also great)
Harold & Maude (boring & unrealistic. No way a youngin' can fall for granny. There are similar couples but it's for money. Besides, I never been Cat Stevens fan)
The Exorcist (it was more hilarious than scary. I am 50/50 about it)
Eraserhead (cool sound fx. Gotta say, that's what made the film for me. Without it, it's just a one guy story)
Two-Lane Blacktop (well, duh. BBs fan & all. otherwise, I wouldn't watch. Didn't help that Dennis & James T. can't act)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (good. prefer another Tobe Hooper slasher - Eaten Alive (1976))

That's it. I have yet to see Star Wars -all eps, believe it or not. want to American Graffiti - looking at the trailer, I think I could like it.

I am an 80s movies fan. Police Academy 3, Back to the Future 2, Beverly Hills Cop, My Left Foot, horrors, Jim Jarmusch films (Permanent Vacation, Down by Law, Stranger Than Paradise, Coffee & Cigarettes), Christmas stuff.

Trivia note about Jaws:

In the novel, the four eyed guy you're referring too - Hooper - does die.  And, he was supposed to die in the movie too. 

They filmed a portion of the underwater cage scene with a small cage, a little person, and a real great white shark.  After the little person was removed from the cage, the real shark got tangled in the cage while the cameras were rolling.  The footage was so good, that they decided to use it.  But, since the cage was empty when the shark was thrashing around, they changed the story so that Hooper escapes the cage and hides as Brody kills the shark. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »

Getting Straight

The Heartbreak Kid

Mash

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »

Trivia note about Jaws:

In the novel, the four eyed guy you're referring too - Hooper - does die.  And, he was supposed to die in the movie too.  

They filmed a portion of the underwater cage scene with a small cage, a little person, and a real great white shark.  After the little person was removed from the cage, the real shark got tangled in the cage while the cameras were rolling.  The footage was so good, that they decided to use it.  But, since the cage was empty when the shark was thrashing around, they changed the story so that Hooper escapes the cage and hides as Brody kills the shark.  
Yes, you said it b4. The guy just annoyed me with his pseudo-intellectual attitude. Arguing with captain in his own boat, let alone smb. more experienced in shark hunting business. Quint's death was big mistake.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:04:00 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »

Getting Straight

The Heartbreak Kid

Mash

The Heartbreak Kid - I KNEW you were a romantic  LOL

The Great Gatsby

Serpico

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print