gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33777 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2016, 07:15:30 AM »

Were you guys happy with the Grammy nominations?  Looking thru the names it was like a list of strangers.  Reminds me of the late sixties, what somebody else thought was worth a nod vs. what I was listening to.  I haven't made a final decision, but it looks like Sam and Jesca's album will top my list.  It's a real shame Emitt Rhodes' Rainbow Ends missed out, it's getting my time.  I don't remember the cut-off date, but shouldn't Los Lobos and Calexico be considered some of the best music of the last year?  I loved Ben Folds' album, too.  Bieber?  Is that really considered cutting edge?  What's it all about?  My 17 year old nieces were disappointed One Direction didn't get showered with nominations, I'm sure.

I didn't review or even seek out the nominations in any detail. I heard some of them on the radio on my way in to work the other day, but that's about it. Honestly those kinds of things--Grammys, Academy Awards, RnR HoF, etc.--just don't move me. They stir up interest, people get all mad about them and curse how stupid they are, then watch anyway and do it again next year. I've opted out in terms of caring in the slightest. What I do sometimes like to do is watch for the performances, that can be fun. Otherwise, meh.

And really they're in a tough place. Make it objective, about popularity, and there's no real suspense or voting required: just go by some formula of sales or plays. Make it subjective and you'll get slammed for elitism or poor choices. Make it a combination and nobody's happy.

I heard Beyonce got a ton of nominations, and that seems fair. I think Lemonade is probably the second-best album of the year, after Blackstar.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2016, 10:35:53 AM »

I did listen to Childish Gambino's album - not too good.

I didn't give this a full listen, but sampled most of the tunes and thought it was OK. Nothing I'm about to pay money for, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »

Unreserved recommendtion:

Rogue Wave's new LP Delusions of Grand Fur!

Haven't listened and wasn't sure I was going to. While I liked the first album and was OK with the next one or two, I really lost interest in what Zach R. has been doing (both as Rogue Wave and Release the Sunbird or whatever). But with your praise, I'll check it out, anyway.

I met their old bassist, the late Evan Farrell, before a gig they did here maybe 10 years ago. Great guy, we talked about jazz, mostly, for probably an hour. They seemed on the brink of (indie-)stardom at that time. Didn't work out: it seemed like each album tried to be more popular, and was less interesting in the process.

OK, so sometimes it takes me a while to get around to things ... I am just now listening to this. I wish this album had come out in 2004, 05, 06, 07, when I was more into this kind of music. This feels like the album they should have made instead of, say, Asleep at Heaven's Gate. (OK, to be fair, I mean they "should have" made it in order to keep me interested. I'm not sure that was their #1 objective. Though it should have been. I mean, obviously.) This is the most tuneful batch they've done (including as Sunbird) since the debut, probably. Really pleasant. Not sure whether I'll buy none, some, or all, but it's at least making me happy right now.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »

That reminds me of the proposed Imagine album cover. Which was a photo of John with his eyes cut out and replaced with the sky.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »

Just purchased the new Lady Lamb EP, Tender Warriors Club, which I didn't know existed until this morning. She (Aly Spaltro, previously releasing music as Lady Lamb the Beekeeper ... the abbreviated name is wise) has a couple of full-lengths out from the past few years, the first of which (Ripley Pine I loved, the second (After) I thought was OK. This seems pared down, mostly acoustic guitar and generally doubled lead vocals. I am occasionally reminded of Jeff Mangum with her approach and songs, though she's not on that level. She has some really nice lyrical moments, though, as well as really dramatic (in a good way) delivery.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:14:29 AM by the captain » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »

I'm really liking this one at the moment.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2016, 07:08:01 AM »

After sampling some of its tracks I bought the new Blood Orange (Dev Hynes) album, which I'd been forgetting to remember to get for some time now. I haven't listened all the way through yet, but I like it. I wasn't up on him at all, introduced only with Solange's EP a couple years ago that he produced. Like a lot of people these days, he uses a lot of '80s pop sounds and feels, but I don't find it to be boring imitations: I think his vocals and vocal arrangements are really cool. Good guitar parts and sounds as well, though it's synth-dominated overall.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »

Somebody at PSF (I'm ashamed to say I can't recall who)
extolled the virtues of this album and it really is very good:

https://weyesblood.bandcamp.com/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22463-front-row-seat-to-earth/

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »

Finally got Anderson .Paak's Malibu, almost a year after it came out. I'm really enjoying it and trying to figure out how to incorporate something from it into my inevitable, impending 2016 playlist.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, my fifth annual year-end playlist. If you're not familiar with but are curious about anything, pm me. I recommend listening in order, if it's possible for you, as the track order is a big part of the effort. As always, the rules are that I'm not using more than one song per artist (unless they are from different albums). However, the length is expanding: what began as 24 songs and an hour and a half in 2012 is now roughly a triple album, 37 songs and two and a third hours.

1. Hum Along and Dance (Gotta Get Down), Janelle Monae, The Get Down
2. Call Off Your Dogs, Lake Street Dive, Side Pony
3. Judas, Esperanza Spalding, Emily's D+Evolution
4. Better Than Me, Blood Orange, Freetown Sound
5. Skipping Stones (feat. Jhene Aiko), Gallant, Ology
6. untitled 06 | 06.30.2014, Kendrick Lamar, untitled unmastered.

7. Diamond Heart, Lady Gaga, Joanne
8. Shut Up Kiss Me, Angel Olsen, MY WOMAN
9. Delerium, case/lang/viers, case / lang / viers
10. gratuitous abysses, of Montreal, Innocence Reaches
11. Three Packs a Day, Courtney Barnett, Three Packs a Day (single)
12. We're All Gonna Die, Dawes, We're All Gonna Die
13. Desert Island Disk, Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool

14. Pyramids, Common, Black America Again
15. Dis Generation, A Tribe Called Quest, We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service
16. James Joint, Rihanna, ANTI
17. Dapper (feat. Anderson .Paak), Domo Genesis, Genesis
18. Waves (feat. Kacey Musgraves), Miguel, Rogue Waves
19. Hold Up, Beyonce, Lemonade
20. Junie, Solange, A Seat at the Table
21. Solo, Frank Ocean, Blonde
22. Celebrate, Anderson .Paak, Malibu

23. Okkervil River RIP, Okkervil River, Away
24. Time After Time, Iron & Wine, Time After Time (single)
25. Perfidia, Carrie Rodriguez, Lola
26. Tachycardia, Conor Oberst, Ruminations
27. Lay Me Down (feat. Willie Nelson), Loretta Lynn, Full Circle

28. Wild Kids Rant, Faun Fables, Born of the Sun
29. We Are Nobody Else, Lady Lamb, Tender Warriors Club
30. Every Songbird Says, Sam Beam & Jessca Hoop, Love Letter For Fire
31. Just a Friend to You, Meghan Trainor, Thank You
32. Endless Bummer, Weezer, Weezer

33. Hey Lucinda, Tindersticks, The Waiting Room
34. Berlin Got Blurry, Parquet Courts, Human Performance
35. Berlin, Kyle Craft, Dolls of Highland
36. Gardenia, Iggy Pop, Post Pop Depression
37. I Can't Give Everything Away, David Bowie, Blackstar
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:23:55 AM by the captain » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2017, 07:24:30 AM »

Piggybacking on my year-end playlist, I wanted to list the albums I liked best.

1. David Bowie, Blackstar
2. Beyonce, Lemonade
3. Parquet Courts, Human Performance

And in no particular order:

Common, Black America Again
Dawes, We're All Gonna Die
Lady Gaga, Joanne
Loretta Lynn, Full Circle
Solange, A Seat at the Table
Frank Ocean, Blonde
Anderson .Paak, Malibu
Blood Orange, Freetown Sound
Kendrick Lamar, untitled unmastered
Lake Street Dive, Side Pony
A Tribe Called Quest, We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »

https://weyesblood.bandcamp.com/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22463-front-row-seat-to-earth/

That was me, John. She also has a new EP coming out on Friday.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »

That was me, John. She also has a new EP coming out on Friday.

Thanks, Josh. I'll be sure to check out that EP.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx