gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:44:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33771 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2016, 04:52:53 AM »

Unreserved recommendtion:

Rogue Wave's new LP Delusions of Grand Fur!

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »

New music from De La Soul!
(there's a quick mention of The Beach Boys in "Trainwreck")
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:21:39 AM by Bubs » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »

Unreserved recommendtion:

Rogue Wave's new LP Delusions of Grand Fur!

Haven't listened and wasn't sure I was going to. While I liked the first album and was OK with the next one or two, I really lost interest in what Zach R. has been doing (both as Rogue Wave and Release the Sunbird or whatever). But with your praise, I'll check it out, anyway.

I met their old bassist, the late Evan Farrell, before a gig they did here maybe 10 years ago. Great guy, we talked about jazz, mostly, for probably an hour. They seemed on the brink of (indie-)stardom at that time. Didn't work out: it seemed like each album tried to be more popular, and was less interesting in the process.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2016, 12:27:47 PM »

The surprisingly strong and fresh sounding new Monkees album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2016, 02:52:15 AM »

http://pitchfork.com/news/62426-the-last-shadow-puppets-announce-new-album-everything-youve-come-to-expect/

And very good it is too. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »

Kendrick, Bowie and Avalanches are the best so far.

Kanye's is the first time he disappointed me, though it has its great moments. I feel like he's slowly losing it, though 6 great albums in a row are no mean feat.

Rihanna, Future and Drake were mediocre.

Desiigner was the worst.

I need to get the Radiohead, Swans, Beyonce, Schoolboy Q, YG, Anderson Paak, Death Grips, Chance the Rapper and Aesop Rock.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »

The new Angel Olsen is lovely and wonderful, everyone.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2016, 09:18:25 AM »

At long last--five weeks? Fuuuuuck--my Apple ID situation is resolved and I'm back to buying music. Common's new one is really good. Up on deck, A Tribe Called Quest.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2016, 09:37:33 AM »

Gave a listen to Childish Gambino's new album. Very Funkadelic-like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZCsgcKa-g
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »

Oh that's right, that was another one somebody or other had recommended I listen to. I'll give it a shot.

Anyone else: what have I missed the past month or two? I've been kind of out of it. Spent that time with a lot of news, a lot of basketball, but not much music.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »

Oh that's right, that was another one somebody or other had recommended I listen to. I'll give it a shot.

Anyone else: what have I missed the past month or two? I've been kind of out of it. Spent that time with a lot of news, a lot of basketball, but not much music.

Danny Brown's Atrocity Exhibition released in September is incredible if you haven't heard it.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »

Also people have been talking about the new J. Cole, Czarface, Weeknd, Metallica, Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga but I've yet to hear these.
KDS
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »

Also people have been talking about the new J. Cole, Czarface, Weeknd, Metallica, Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga but I've yet to hear these.

I've heard two or three songs from the new Metallica.  The songs I've heard were decent, but not too memorable. 

I'm hoping there's more to like on the album, which I've yet to buy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »

I feel confident Metallica won't be up my alley, as I haven't been a fan really since Master of Puppets (and stopped even bothering by the mid-90s). Heavy stuff just no longer agrees with me for the most part.

I've got the Gaga album and think it's pretty good. Surprisingly good, in fact, though also horrible in parts. The very polished work of a big-timer trying to hit every possible sales demographic! Some of it sounds like power balladry, pop country, hard(ish) rock, etc. I'm guessing Bruno Mars is similar, actually, but I do mean to listen to it.

Weeknd: I'll check. I liked "I Can't Feel My Face," anyway. As did most everyone.

Scaroline No
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »

An artist named Max Jury (self-titled album came out in June) was brought to my attention earlier this year... I liked what I heard at the time, but held it back until I was in the right mood. The mood has struck, and I'm loving it now.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »

I also continue to not get the appeal of Frank Ocean. At all. I keep trying.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »

I've had mixed feelings about him since "Novacane," which was the first thing I heard from him. It's hot and cold. I think I liked about four songs on Channel Orange and I think the new stuff ranges from really good to totally uninteresting.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »

I've had mixed feelings about him since "Novacane," which was the first thing I heard from him. It's hot and cold. I think I liked about four songs on Channel Orange and I think the new stuff ranges from really good to totally uninteresting.

Same, to the word. I listen to his albums, I hear the potential, the undeniable highlights, but then struggle to remember a lot of it.
KDS
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »

I feel confident Metallica won't be up my alley, as I haven't been a fan really since Master of Puppets (and stopped even bothering by the mid-90s). Heavy stuff just no longer agrees with me for the most part.

I've got the Gaga album and think it's pretty good. Surprisingly good, in fact, though also horrible in parts. The very polished work of a big-timer trying to hit every possible sales demographic! Some of it sounds like power balladry, pop country, hard(ish) rock, etc. I'm guessing Bruno Mars is similar, actually, but I do mean to listen to it.

Weeknd: I'll check. I liked "I Can't Feel My Face," anyway. As did most everyone.

It was popular, but I (and a lot of people I know) couldn't stand I Can't Feel My Face.  I never thought there would come a day when I didn't look forward to The Weekend. .....get it???   (crickets).   OK, I'll tall my ball and go home. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »

It was popular, but I (and a lot of people I know) couldn't stand I Can't Feel My Face.  I never thought there would come a day when I didn't look forward to The Weekend. .....get it???   (crickets).   OK, I'll tall my ball and go home. 

Yeah, the chorus ruined it for me. Too poppy.
KDS
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »

Hmmmm, if I had to pinpoint what did it for me, let me know.  Yeah, it was the entire song. 

But, I also detest dance music. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »

Hmmmm, if I had to pinpoint what did it for me, let me know.  Yeah, it was the entire song. 

Even disco?  Shocked
KDS
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »

Even disco?  Shocked

Absolutely.  Some of the rock music that was influenced by disco is OK (ie. Miss You, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2), but pure disco does nothing for me. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »

Being a (good) pop fan, I thought it was good. Very Michael Jackson in spots, which I consider a compliment. But everything else I listened to from him, more or less, I didn't like. I'll check out the new album just in case, but I am not holding out much hope.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2016, 07:05:25 AM »

I got something new yesterday, but you are going to say it's old.  Well, that's what I buy.  This is a new release, never been on the market before.  I've never heard it, and as far as I know has never been booted.

A new offering from the very talented Laura Nyro:  AMERICAN DREAMER -Live at the Bottom Line, 12th July '78

Laura did a brief promotional tour for her new album Nested (June 1978).  She used a band on the record, but this is just her and a piano playing seven of the ten tracks from the album.  Not focusing on oldies, the only ones she picked are "Sweet Blindness"  "And When I Die" and "Emmie."  She does "Sexy Mama" from Smile, and "man in the moon" (which didn't see official release until 1984).  Some of these tracks have popped up as bonus tracks on re-issues over the years, tho I don't think from this same source - very good songs, "In The Country Way" (from the New York Tendaberry sessions) and a great old Dr. John track, "Mama Roux."  I'll know more later tonight.

I also got something that was recorded this year:  Band of Horses why are you ok.  Only heard a few tracks, should be interesting.

Were you guys happy with the Grammy nominations?  Looking thru the names it was like a list of strangers.  Reminds me of the late sixties, what somebody else thought was worth a nod vs. what I was listening to.  I haven't made a final decision, but it looks like Sam and Jesca's album will top my list.  It's a real shame Emitt Rhodes' Rainbow Ends missed out, it's getting my time.  I don't remember the cut-off date, but shouldn't Los Lobos and Calexico be considered some of the best music of the last year?  I loved Ben Folds' album, too.  Bieber?  Is that really considered cutting edge?  What's it all about?  My 17 year old nieces were disappointed One Direction didn't get showered with nominations, I'm sure.

I did listen to Childish Gambino's album - not too good.  I watched his Tv show, Atlanta, that was okay.  What I've heard of the Bruno Mars album is pretty good - won't be buying it, tho.  Metallica was good a long long time ago, I didn't even know they were still making music - I thought the lead singer quit.  Guess the power of money brought him back.  As for Lady Gaga, I got about as far as the new commercial for the tour.  I don't need to hear more.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:10:30 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx