gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:26:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33797 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2016, 08:07:39 AM »

Has anyone pointed out that there's a new Paul Simon album coming this year (June)? Maybe, but I'm not going to look because that's beyond my energies at the moment. However, just in case not, Paul Simon is releasing a new album this year (June). It's called Stranger to Stranger, and the lead-off single, "Wristband" is on Soundcloud.

You can hear that and read about the album here:

http://www.paulsimon.com/news/paul-simons-new-album-stranger-stranger-set-release-june-3rd/

You have my insincere, half-hearted apologies if this has been covered already.

Whoa. He sounds great.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »

The first time I heard "Wristband," I thought the backing track was really cool. But then the song just goes completely off the rails when Paul starts talking about how much he needs a wristband and how he hates tall, authoritative figures.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »

Beyonce released a surprise album called Lemonade. It's apparently a visual and auditory experience, and it seems to be exclusive to Tidal subscribers. Although, I think someone mentioned it being on sale for $18 or so now. It's supposed to be pretty weird, but I don't have enough time to watch it right now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »

I heard a few clips in a review on NPR and it sounded pretty good to me. I'm curious to hear more.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:31 AM »

It's for sale on iTunes now, $17 for album and movie. Just bought, will be listening at work.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »

This is a good album. I'm not much of a Beyonce fan, historically, but I'm really liking this.

Edit: I mean really liking it. While listening quietly on my phone at work, I could tell there were cool things going on. Now I'm listening loudly at home, and damnit, this album is really good. She's all over the map, genre-wise, and she's showing off that great voice in several contexts. Further, the songs sound awfully personal. (I don't much care whether they are, that's irrelevant. They're well written by someone and well delivered by Beyonce.) Quick judgments tend to be a bad idea but this is one of the half-dozen best albums of the year so far for sure.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:04:05 PM by the captain » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2016, 11:55:23 AM »

Was anyone else aware of the new Radiohead album being released this year?

Yeah, I recall hearing that.

And a little more info today: per their manager, it's out in May and "like nothing like you've ever heard." (I find that hard to believe.)

http://pitchfork.com/news/62800-radiohead-new-album-out-in-june-manager-says/

They've now released two songs from the new album, "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »

New album out tomorrow amiright?

My friend's a huge Radiohead fan, so she's shown me the music videos. I like don't know many Radiohead songs, but I find the songs/videos super cool and interesting with a slightly creepy vibe. Like the strings in "Burn the Witch," or the whole video for "Daydreaming."

In other news, Young the Giant's new album comes out August 12.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2016, 12:55:45 AM »

Quite like this, dubious title aside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgFy5SWl1Y

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »

recently released. live albums. instead of cancelling NC shows, AC decides to release this instead. Very cool.
https://anmlcollectve.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-fonda-theatre-march-9-2016
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:16:13 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2016, 06:19:04 PM »

recently released. live albums. instead of cancelling NC shows, AC decides to release this instead. Very cool.
https://anmlcollectve.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-fonda-theatre-march-9-2016
fucking AWESOME

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2016, 09:44:35 PM »

The first time I heard "Wristband," I thought the backing track was really cool. But then the song just goes completely off the rails when Paul starts talking about how much he needs a wristband and how he hates tall, authoritative figures.
I've heard this a few times.  The backing track is nice.  The lyrics are... Paul is in need of lyrical ideas.  He is trying too hard to sound modern.

I'll give the album a chance.  Too good a guitar player not to.  He gets a listen like all of my old favs.  Too many of which have joined the gotta be better than that to get any more of my bucks club.

I'm thinking about getting the new Jayhawks record.  What I've heard so far, sounds good.

I played some of the animal collective.  mmm  I'll think about it.  pretty strange.  That's the first time I've heard anything by them in a year or so.

I haven't heard the Beyoncé.  I stopped giving her chances a while back.  She was once very good.  Glad you are enjoying it captain.  Where is the captain?

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2016, 09:25:06 PM »

Quite like this, dubious title aside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgFy5SWl1Y

I've had this on repeat all day.  Great track.  Great video, though the ladies throwing up towards the end is a bit rough to watch.  Very colorful.  That's Entertainment.

It was the title of their 2005 album that caught my eye in 2010 while researching All Tomorrows Parties festivals and history.

Wait Long By the River and the Bodies of your enemies Will Float by

My fav off the album:     https://youtu.be/U-tNpnTWI8w   

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »

I love this one too:  The old Cramps # "New Kind of Kick"

https://youtu.be/VbW7YNaP-qA     

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2016, 09:42:01 PM »

The Drones 2015 live   "Baby2"   https://youtu.be/AJ1QyDvMBEM

Gareth is the last original member, but he can still bring the power.  When I first heard the studio version I thought he caught the young energetic feel of Spirit with his guitar playing.  This live run through shows he has the same floor petal set-up that Randy California had back in the late 60's.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:20:41 PM by feelsflow » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2016, 10:19:15 PM »

Was anyone else aware of the new Radiohead album being released this year?

Yeah, I recall hearing that.

And a little more info today: per their manager, it's out in May and "like nothing like you've ever heard." (I find that hard to believe.)

http://pitchfork.com/news/62800-radiohead-new-album-out-in-june-manager-says/

They've now released two songs from the new album, "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming."

"Burn the Witch"       Ahem, very Coldplay, Bubbly.  The video animation version of Wickerman was  interesting.  Did you see the movie?  If you haven't, look it up on youtube and watch the last 15 minutes.  This new song does sound different; better than most songs I've heard by them.

"Daydreaming"          I didn't make it too far into this track.  I have a problem with his vocals, the music is fine.  The Radiohead/Coldplay deal with me, is the same fan battle as blur/Oasis.  I never could get into blur except for a few songs.  Remember "Song 2" was pretty neat.  In contrast, I own everything by Oasis - vinyl (the best way to hear them), Cds, DVds, box sets, you name it.  Oasis was one of the Best bands of the 90's.  I collected them as they came out.  Went to see them live.  Let the critics and music lovers say what they want.  I also own all of Coldplay's albums and DVDs.  Explain your take on why so many  people don't like them.  The records they put out are always in my Best of the Year lists.  They are a band where all four members are great. 

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »

That Coldplay vs. Radiohead remark made me shudder/baffled. I don't see it. Anyhow, A Moon Shaped Pool is fantastic. I could maybe compare it to In Rainbows or Amnesiac. To drop some cliches - a real tour de force and a return to form. Particular favorites being "Daydreaming", "Desert Island Disk", "The Numbers", "Tinker Tailor.." and "True Love Waits".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »

Explain your take on why so many  people don't like them.

That's like trying to explain why so many people don't like liquorice. You just take a bite and find yourself repulsed.

I find their music to be incredibly safe and boring. They follow in the footsteps of people like U2, and I dislike U2 even more.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:42:16 PM by Bubs » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »

I also own all of Coldplay's albums and DVDs.  Explain your take on why so many  people don't like them.  The records they put out are always in my Best of the Year lists.  They are a band where all four members are great. 
Well, if it's any comfort, I'm a fan of Coldplay. I don't really listen to them now, but honestly their Mylo Xyloto concert was one of the best concerts I've been to. Also, Chris Martin's personality is so much more likeable than Bono's.... ugh. Haha.

I wouldn't compare Radiohead to Coldplay at all, though, unless you're making a list of "bands from the UK" or something.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2016, 12:15:52 AM »

I also own all of Coldplay's albums and DVDs.  Explain your take on why so many  people don't like them.  The records they put out are always in my Best of the Year lists.  They are a band where all four members are great. 
Well, if it's any comfort, I'm a fan of Coldplay. I don't really listen to them now, but honestly their Mylo Xyloto concert was one of the best concerts I've been to. Also, Chris Martin's personality is so much more likeable than Bono's.... ugh. Haha.

I wouldn't compare Radiohead to Coldplay at all, though, unless you're making a list of "bands from the UK" or something.

john k is a U2 fan, we're going to make him mad.  You don't like Bono's personality, I've stopped checking out their newer albums.  They have lost some kind of spark they used to have in the  90's.  They are not making albums that produced songs like "Mysterious Ways," "Even Better Than the Real Thing," "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me,"  "Lemon" - they peaked for years.  I only got to see the POPMART tour - to get a taste of their kind of Big Show.  Now, Bono is very busy doing a lot more than music, and seems well distracted.  Who knows.  If I don't hear something great on the radio or Tv I won't check for more of the same.  I don't want to buy them if I am not going to play them very often.  I own way too much music I play a couple of times and file away by way too many.  U2 left behind some very powerful music. I thought until the past few years they could be magical with a few tracks on an album, but again, not enough to get me to buy the album.  That's why so many of the younger fans just collect tracks.  I rarely download.  I want physical product.  I don't want to print the cover.  Artists who can't come up with a whole album of great, stall.

Coldplay had a great beginning.  The first album is Top.   They built on that and peaked during Viva la Vida, and that tour.  They didn't even bother to put that tour on film.  You got plenty of songs on different Tv shows, but no official tour video.  There was a great DVD videos Comp that came out with the Import Ep just after the album.  I think that's the best one I have.  One of the videos is animated like "Burn the Witch" - I was thinking about that while watching last night.  It's cool with me you guys like Radiohead.   undercover-m, I wasn't comparing Radiohead to Coldplay, exactly.  I was poking at Bubs saying "Burn the Witch" sounded like Coldplay.  What I was really comparing, is the way fans reacted in a similar way to two popular acts in the 90's, blur and Oasis.  Like the Beatles vs Stones camps in the 60's, that really happened.  You and your friends would claim to only like one or the other.  I'm much more a fan of the Stones now than I was as a teenager.  Between the Buttons was the first one that woke me up.  Now I love their early R&B and Country.  The Beach boys and the Four Seasons had fan camps, who was better at hitting the high notes, Brian or Frankie.

I'm glad you got to see Coldplay live.  I haven't.  I have the Mylo Xyloto DVD - It's great- fast and colorful.  Simon must have seen this and thought, "Yeah, wristbands...good title, the kids will like it."  I have a DVD of the 2011 Glastonbury show.  It played on the Palladia channel a few times if you have that on your dial.  A bit better than the official Blu-ray in that it's more a whole show without the between bits, interviews getting in the way.  Speaking of getting in the way...

Bubs is becoming a big star poster around here lately.  Standing up for the rights, kickin' the dirt up, buttin' shoulders. A real Ringo.  And he says an album can change.  An artist can change.  Not be as good as yesterday.  Played out.  It just doesn't connect anymore.
I'm with that.  He knows, you know.  If he can stop connecting, I can stop buying.  And listening to even a long favored band.

What I'm thinking is Coldplay has already did the best stuff they are capable of.  They began to fade with Ghost Stories and the new one.  Both of those made my top ten because I'm not listening very often to other new music.  My 2015 top ten was full of known acts I have followed for years.  Livingston Taylor, Calexico, Los Lobos, Ben Folds and of course whatever Brian and Sam want to toss us.  Many of our members here are too young to have a long history with a band.  For old acts it's dumped on you all at once, usually out of release order.  I think that matters.  It happens cause the old acts, even the 80' and 90's acts continue to be popular.  We all try new music out, but I don't have time to check out everything everybody is checking out.  I'm not finding the time to check what press they got today, their facebooks, if they are planning a tour, or their present whereabouts.  That last one especially.  I don't want to know much about their personal lives.  I never joined a fan club in my life, unless you call this place a fan club.  nah, this place is a free-for-all.

And -I just spend too much of my time searchin' thru the past.  Most of my very favorites are either dead, or too old and out of it.  For at least the last couple years most all new music , new bands I'm hearing in the outside world, where I'm not in control of what I'm listening to, there has only been a few.  I don't let many in the door.  That's why I don't know anything about Radiohead.  I've just lost interest in continuing to find new music to play.  I only have the one day a week where I really sit down in my chair and listen to music.  Hey, I saw Alan say the other day, he only gets 30to40 minutes a day, a week, something like that.  You young folks focus on the new, and spend a lot of time doing it, I did when I was younger.  I don't even know who Young the Giants is.  I check to see who is on the late shows, animal collective tonight btw,  did you catch it?  Most of them I don't know.  That is not a fault.

The days are shorter the older you get.  Maybe when I was young I wouldn't have understood what I just said.  As I get older there are things that become as important as sitting around listening to music real close, Looking for new.  Old is comfortable.  Don't get me wrong, I listen to music all the time on my crummy set-up I've got hooked up to this keyboard and screen.  I very much enjoy having youtube in my life, and have a lot of fun with it.  All the videos you all bring on to Smiley have changed my musical outlook often.  The old Listening thread, I miss.  We had a great group doing that.  Bubs took me off on a new journey with Nick Cave.  Made me a much bigger fan.  Showed me albums I had not bothered to look at closer.  Luther turned me on to a band I'd never heard of, Beulah.  I bought some of their albums and their DVD, played it last Saturday night.  So it can happen, just not to often.  Have I mentioned Iron and Wine? Wink  It's late, I'll get to him another time.

When I signed-on tonight, I did have an idea to bust in this thread with a song.  It's a captain thread, he don't mind bustin'.  Here it is, this goes out to repulsed Bubbly, all the ones I've offended.  and God save the Queen and the Kinks

it's dark in here...let's see if I can hit the right keys

"Problems"  by two of my favorite people.  Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen:

https://youtu.be/cov1kXTRKhA

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2016, 12:32:37 AM »

Paul, they didn't like it.  Writstbands, good for Coldplay concerts, boring subject for a song.  This tag is for a different reason...

That was my 1022 post (that counted).  Had to come back on and comment for my post history, and so I will remember when it happened.  The numbers 221 have popped up over and over in my life, so has the number 5.  In many special ways.
If it wasn't so late, I'd explain.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2016, 02:41:14 AM »

john k is a U2 fan, we're going to make him mad. 

Haha. I'm not that easily riled, Will. But it's true----I am a U2 fan, of six years' standing. And my fandom extends to their most recent albums----no appreciable drop in quality there, to my ears anyway...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »

Chance the Rapper released his new "mixtape," Coloring Book, but it's exclusive to Apple Music streaming. Sad
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »

Still love new Beyonce. I think I like Radiohead. Immediate response to Anohni is lukewarm or worse. Meghan Trainor disappointed me greatly.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2016, 05:46:22 PM »

I think I like Radiohead.

I haven't been able to listen to it yet because I'm stupid and I wait for CDs to be available.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx