gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:48:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33779 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »

I haven't listened to it yet. I've devoted the entire day to power/jangle pop.
I'm listening to Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque at the moment. I'm just hearing it for the first time today, but I like it quite a bit.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:39:14 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »

The new Suede album 'Night Thoughts', the second of their millennial comeback. It's  much better than their last album 'Bloodsports' which was quite a dull disappontment. They've come roaring back, and This one is a seamless epic, with all tracks bleeding into the next with big arena-size hooks and gobs of drama. It's all very over-the-top in the best entertaining way. If you've never tried their music, this is a fine entry point.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »

You can get Rihanna's new album for free if that's your thing: http://rihanna.tidal.com/redeem/?voucher=ANTI

I signed up as Jeffrey Dahmer.

I missed the free download, but just started checking the samples on iTunes. Right off the bat, I thought track one ("Consideration") sounded cool. Have you listened yet? Thoughts? I'll check Spotify and see if it's there yet. I'm thinking I'll end up getting at least a few tracks. Historically I'm not a big Rihanna fan, but she has her moments. I'd love for this to be a good album (because frankly I'd love for every album to be a good album).

I'm going to answer my own question. It's a good album!

I think about 1/4 of this album is really good. Most of what's left isn't awful, just unremarkable. A lot of musical ground covered.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »

I picked up Chester Watson's Past Cloaks this morning. He's a rapper whose style I have to compare to (my particular favorite current rapper) Earl Sweatshirt. My knowledge of the rap world is pretty limited, so I hate making comparisons too quickly, but in this instance, I'm doing so because of a similar low-key, "talking" delivery (as opposed to a more forceful, dramatic, "on stage" style). He's also pretty clever lyrically, though the constant weed references are pretty boring after a (short) while. (As a rule, I don't want to hear musicians tell me how drunk or high they are, were, or are going to be. It's a little like counting bedpost notches or bragging about strength: just sad.)

All in all, though, cool album. Give it a listen if that sort of style appeals to you.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »

The new Suede album 'Night Thoughts', the second of their millennial comeback. It's  much better than their last album 'Bloodsports' which was quite a dull disappontment. They've come roaring back, and This one is a seamless epic, with all tracks bleeding into the next with big arena-size hooks and gobs of drama. It's all very over-the-top in the best entertaining way. If you've never tried their music, this is a fine entry point.
will be picking this one up this week, big Suede fan. Is the accompanying dvd good?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »

This has been a bit of a slow year for me so far.

Flying Lotus recently said he has plans to release a new album this year, so that's cool.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »

This ought to make undercover-m happy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBgOe3Ioj6G/

(At least I think it's undercover-m who's the big Shins fan.)

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »

Listening got that right. Thanks for posting this! Sounds sort of "dark and mysterious" for the Shins, but I like it.

---
Also, I'm fairly new to Animal Collective, although I really like the song FloriDada. How are people feeling about that song/new album?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »

Listening got that right. Thanks for posting this! Sounds sort of "dark and mysterious" for the Shins, but I like it.

---
Also, I'm fairly new to Animal Collective, although I really like the song FloriDada. How are people feeling about that song/new album?

How did you feel about Port of Morrow? It's not an album either my friends or I are a fan of.

I really like "Floridada," although I'm less enthused by "Lying in the Grass." It just sounds like Panda Bear's recent solo work.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »

---

How did you feel about Port of Morrow? It's not an album either my friends or I are a fan of.
I actually really like Port of Morrow. I think some of the songs helped me get through some rough moments in high school, plus my best friend and I bonded over this album, so maybe that's why. I particularly like "No Way Down" (once I realized what the lyrics meant, I loved it even more) and "For a Fool," and I can't get tired of "Simple Song" even though it's their radio single.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 03:53:08 PM »

I thought Port of Morrow was an extremely professional album. Well produced. That might sound like damning with faint praise, but oh well, that still rates it above plenty of other albums, right? For me, the Shins' best was far and away--by a factor of two or three--Chutes Too Narrow. But just in terms of a really well performed, well recorded, well produced album? Got to give Mr. Mercer credit on Port of Morrow.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 05:44:06 PM »

---

I really like "Floridada," although I'm less enthused by "Lying in the Grass." It just sounds like Panda Bear's recent solo work.

I was disappointed by "Lying in the Grass" but it's grown on me a bit. Like much of the new Panda Bear album its charms are subtle, so I think (hope) it'll just turn out to have been an oddball choice for a single.
But "Floridada" is great.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »

I'm excited for the new album from ex-Barenaked Ladies frontman Steven Page. It's been 5 years since his last record and I'm getting antsy. His last album felt more like a BNL record than the actual past 3 BNL records put out by his ex-bandmates (Who are still phenomenal musicians and a great live act, but they've been giving into trends and sounding more and more generic with each new album.)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »

Today I saw that Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) and Jesca Hoop (of whom I have not heard) are releasing an album together in April. The first single is out, and it's really lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAzgRAs-qAs

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 01:40:46 PM »

I know there's an irrational hatred of Kanye West here, but you can listen to his new album right now.
The circumstances are unusual, but you can watch it if you want.
KDS
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »

I know there's an irrational hatred of Kanye West here, but you can listen to his new album right now.

Even if I actually liked rap, he would be a hard person to like. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »

I'm not a fan of his personality (is anyone?) but I can actually appreciate his music, sometimes at least. Something about listening to Yeezus lets me focus on physics homework? I think his ridiculous personality and his ego are humorous, really. I don't take too many celebrities seriously. Tongue

Also, maybe the captain will appreciate this. I just received an email about some exclusive of Montreal 7" release:
https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/pages/of-montreal-almost-live?mc_cid=5040eb70aa&mc_eid=f7046ae5b5

edit: one more thing; there's a great little Australian band called Good Morning. Just two chill dudes making music. I haven't listened to their new release much but I really like Shawcross.
https://goodmorningisaband.bandcamp.com/album/glory
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:07:27 PM by undercover-m » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »

I think the album is good, but I'll have to hear it a couple more times. It's pretty short.
Chance the Rapper and Frank Ocean are both on the album, so that's cool.

Kanye's just playing music by a different person now he called "Thug."
And now some guy named Vic. Vic Mensa?
He was just letting people plug whatever they wanted into the auxiliary cord.

Apparently Kanye designed a video game about his mother passing through the gates of heaven. It's called "Only One."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:38:21 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »

Today I learned John Carpenter has been making standalone albums. He released one last year, and is releasing the sequel this year, called Lost Themes II. The first song has just been released, called "Distant Dream," and you can listen to it here. I've always been interested in his music but never actually gave it a go, so I'll be happily waiting for the album release day on April 15, 2016.
KDS
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »

Today I learned John Carpenter has been making standalone albums. He released one last year, and is releasing the sequel this year, called Lost Themes II. The first song has just been released, called "Distant Dream," and you can listen to it here. I've always been interested in his music but never actually gave it a go, so I'll be happily waiting for the album release day on April 15, 2016.

Dumb question. 

Is this director / composer John Carpenter (ie. Halloween, The Fog)? 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »

Dumb question. 

Is this director / composer John Carpenter (ie. Halloween, The Fog)? 

It is indeed.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »

fantastic.  Reminds me of early 90's Tony Banks/Genesis.  Will be looking in on this when it comes out.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »

Carrie Rodriguez's Lola: this is a beautiful album that I guess you'd consider a sort of southwestern roots album, a Spanish and English folkie pop combo. I stumbled on it by just sampling new releases showing up on iTunes or allmusic or something, as I try to do occasionally. Never heard of her before, but she's just tremendous. Her voice isn't a powerhouse, but it's strong, nuanced, and emotive. The musicians are great, too, including Bill Frisell.

Here's the album opener, her rendition of "Perfidia." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxHm6PRuGo

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »

Another album I picked up this week was Lake Street Dive's Side Pony. I first heard of them with their covers EP a couple years back, which had cool versions of "Faith" and "I Want You Back." (I saw their name and wondered if they were local, as we've got a Lake Street with its share of dives...turns out they're from out East.) They're a kind of soul / R&B / southern / hipster group, relatively funny, maybe a little too gimmicky ... but fun. So f*** the rest, fun is fun! (The title track of the new album is indeed about the album's namesake hairstyle. "I rock a side pony. I'm just livin' my life, I rock a side pony." Ha.)

They're great musicians, formally schooled and really good. The bassist is great.

I hadn't realized the national attention they have gotten, but a quick Youtube search to find a clip to share shows they did the tune I'd planned to paste on Colbert.

Live version of "Call Off Your Dogs"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ogVu_CQiM

Album trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QOS4PDw5y4

Just saw they did this live version of "Bohemian Rhapsody." (Lead singer has a sweet Freddie outfit and mustache!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqEiWN44L3M

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »

In other news, it appears Kanye has a new album coming out this summer.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx