gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:22:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33766 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:58:23 PM »

Because it ain't 2015 anymore. If it were, we'd be talking about it here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19540.0.html  Several year-end recaps can be found in the latter pages of that thread, so check it out if you want to find something new. But to find something newer, check in here. Later. Once something has been written about.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:18:50 AM »

There's a possibility of a new Roger Waters album for 2016. 

But, there's been speculation of a new Roger Waters album since he returned to touring back in 1999. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »

I'm looking forward to the new Bowie on Friday!

Also the new Tindersticks (thanks for that one, unreleased backgrounds) and Savages this month. Some other stuff too, but we'll have to see how those pan out.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »

I've got some 2015 releases that I got for Christmas I still have yet to listen to. 

Not sure if it'll be out in 2016, but Deep Purple is going back into the studio this month. 

Anthrax also is putting out a new album soon. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

New Dr. Dog song out ("Bring My Baby Back"). I'm not super familiar with them, but they are coming in concert soon so maybe I should? Ha. But I'm digging this new song so far.

I hear Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, and MGMT are supposed to come out with new music this year as well, if that interests anyone.

I'm really hoping that the Shins put out a new album. Their instagram is filled with studio shots and it's killing me.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »

New Dr. Dog song out ("Bring My Baby Back"). I'm not super familiar with them, but they are coming in concert soon so maybe I should? Ha. But I'm digging this new song so far.

All my friends love that band, but I remain staunch in my disdain.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »

Ditto. They are one of two acts I've seen--John Vanderslice was the other--where throughout the show, while they were doing original songs, I was thinking (and eventually naming out loud to my friends) the classic rock and pop riffs, melodies, etc., that they were "borrowing." That was a solid decade ago now, and I've heard bits and pieces of their stuff since. It's fine, certainly. But I just can't shake my initial reaction.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »

Fans of last year's Sufjan album might be interested in this: the R&B (is that the right description for him?) Gallant did a version of Sufjan's "Blue Bucket of Gold" from the Carrie and Lowell album. Someone here, and apologies because I forgot who, shared Gallant with us on one of the previous years' new music threads, or possibly on that "album listening project" thing we did for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAxAdZgGnE

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »

Ditto. They are one of two acts I've seen--John Vanderslice was the other--where throughout the show, while they were doing original songs, I was thinking (and eventually naming out loud to my friends) the classic rock and pop riffs, melodies, etc., that they were "borrowing." That was a solid decade ago now, and I've heard bits and pieces of their stuff since. It's fine, certainly. But I just can't shake my initial reaction.
Interesting... yeah, my friends who do know Dr. Dog LOVE them. But I can also see how they borrow. The song "My Friends" has a train sound at the end, closing the album. Sounds awfully familiar Tongue.

Also, thank you for sharing that "Blue Bucket of Gold" video... probably my favorite album from 2015 :')
I think this Gallant guy is the same person who helps Sufjan on this "Hotline Bling" cover (I know, so 2014, but this is great): http://www.buzzfeed.com/kevinsmith/will-you-finally-find-someone-or-nah#.eoZDE5WzD

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »

David Bowie's Blackstar is good.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »

David Bowie's Blackstar is good.
Yes, Blackstar is a very nice album. I like that it's mostly pretty different from The Next Day, even though I really liked and still listen to that album and it's supplemental songs. Using a band of Jazzbos was an inspired idea that gives the project it's unique flavor. My favorites are Dollar Days and the title song.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »

Not sure if it'll be out in 2016, but Deep Purple is going back into the studio this month. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 04:38:31 AM »

I picked up Eleanor Friedberger's New View.

Fiery Furnaces were a band I really liked--I still say Blueberry Boat, EP, and Rehearsing My Choir are some of the best albums of the '00s--and Eleanor has done some really cool solo material over the years, too. Sadly, this one was underwhelming on first listen, very middle-of-the-road in every respect. I didn't even like anything as much as I did her 2015 single "False Alphabet City." Obviously one listen does not a comprehension make, so maybe I'll find out it's a grower.

KDS
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 09:01:31 AM »

Kinda funny that you'd put that dinosaur picture on a Beach Boys forum.  Especially considering The Beach Boys predate the careers of both Deep Purple and Pink Floyd by half a decade.

Looking forward to the debut album from The Last in Line, featuring Vivian Campbell, Vinny Appice, and the recently departed Jimmy Bain (the main players on the classic Dio albums Holy Diver and Last In Line).
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »

Kinda funny that you'd put that dinosaur picture on a Beach Boys forum. 

Dinosaurs dominated the earth for 135 million years. I'd call it a compliment...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »

Al is the little mammal who somehow lived through extinction.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »

Al is the little mammal who somehow lived through extinction.

There's a palindrome in here somewhere----I can smell it. Grin

How about:
Avid Al stops Bob Lamm: "Am I mammal?" (Bob spots L.A. diva)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:47:29 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 05:59:27 AM »

Intrigued by a review (which included mention of Lhasa, a singer sadly departed) and sample, I bought Tindersticks' The Waiting Room and will listen at work today. I shall report back.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 06:04:24 AM »

I heard that the other day. Not one of their very best, but still good. Will probably get it at some point.

Please delete my account
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »

You can get Rihanna's new album for free if that's your thing: http://rihanna.tidal.com/redeem/?voucher=ANTI

I signed up as Jeffrey Dahmer.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:29:24 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
KDS
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 05:14:29 AM »

You can get Rihanna's new album for free if that's your thing: http://rihanna.tidal.com/redeem/?voucher=ANTI

Too rich for my blood. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 09:11:16 AM »

I missed the free download, but just started checking the samples on iTunes. Right off the bat, I thought track one ("Consideration") sounded cool. Have you listened yet? Thoughts? I'll check Spotify and see if it's there yet. I'm thinking I'll end up getting at least a few tracks. Historically I'm not a big Rihanna fan, but she has her moments. I'd love for this to be a good album (because frankly I'd love for every album to be a good album).

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »

I missed the free download, but just started checking the samples on iTunes. Right off the bat, I thought track one ("Consideration") sounded cool. Have you listened yet? Thoughts? I'll check Spotify and see if it's there yet. I'm thinking I'll end up getting at least a few tracks. Historically I'm not a big Rihanna fan, but she has her moments. I'd love for this to be a good album (because frankly I'd love for every album to be a good album).

I think it's kinda crazy to realize that she had 13 US number ones. I mean, even regardless of one's opinion of the contemporary charts and the artists featured in them, it's still no mean feat. Only Beatles, Elvis and Mariah Carey had more (Michael Jackson had as many).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:34 PM »

That's amazing. I couldn't name 13 of her songs.

That said, my download of the new album is in progress, as I enjoyed enough of the previews that it seemed worthwhile.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »

I'm going to answer my own question. It's a good album!

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx