gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:20:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33914 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2016, 04:43:59 PM »

Was anyone else aware of the new Radiohead album being released this year?
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »

I miss you being Bubs

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »

Was anyone else aware of the new Radiohead album being released this year?

Yeah, I recall hearing that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »

Has anyone bought or listened to the new Iggy Pop (with Josh Homme) album? After listening to them on Nerdist podcast (pretty funny, by the way), I gave it a quick partial listen this morning on Spotify. It sounded pretty damn good to me, actually. I plan to listen again, and more fully. It might be another one to pick up this year.

(Oh, and in some mostly Luther-targeted news, Of Montreal reportedly has a new album coming out this August. Happy me.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »

I'm really enjoying the song Candyman that you may have seen on the M&Ms commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBcyBylIr40
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2016, 04:13:02 PM »

Just checking out new and upcoming releases and saw the rapper Domo Genesis (of Odd Future) is releasing his debut album, Genesis in a couple of weeks. The lead single, "Dapper," is available now and I fucking LOVE it. What a great track. His delivery almost reminds me of Ma$e, kind of a mumbling thing, but for whatever reason, it works over the funky instrumental.

https://youtu.be/HLiMrd45I0M?t=30s

Domo Genesis's new album came out Friday. I've been really enjoying it. "Dapper" is still my favorite track, but the album is good. After hearing do a few verses here and there on Earl Sweatshirt, Tyler the Creator, and other assorted Odd Future stuff of the past half-decade or so, it's nice to get a full album and--voila!--have it be good.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »

Gallant has a new album, Ology, due to be released next week. It includes the fine single "Skipping Stones." I'm pretty excited for this. Another thanks to the member--whose name I forget at the moment, so forgive me--for introducing me to Gallant back during one of our old threads. I forget which. Whatever. 

yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2016, 06:09:58 PM »

I heard a song by Barns Courtney, "Fire", on the radio today. I really liked most of it aside from the stereotypical post-'00 power-poprock chorus, a non-surprisingly common element that ruins most contemporary music for me. Anyway the section that begins at approximately the 1:59 mark is mind-blowingly exceptional pop-craftsmanship. Probably the closest anyone's come to reaching the level of Brian Wilson on "Do You Like Worms?", which in my opinion is a very high point. I highly recommend a listen if you haven't heard it. So far he's only released a couple of singles and I'm hoping to GOD the album has more like that section than it does in that chorus, but we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnka7iod6C4

Anybody aware of anything else out there with similar elements of said section? Any damn era will do. It's really my ideal kinda music. (i.e, "Isn't It A Pity" outro by GH, "Still I'm Sad" by YB)
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »

I listened to that Barns Courtney song, and the section you pointed out was indeed interesting. I also totally see the point you make about the generic chorus; it's hard not to notice those types of things after picking up on them. I sadly don't have any other songs I can think of with a similar feeling to what you strive for.

On another note, Melody's Echo Chamber announced that she's halfway through recording her next album, which means it'll hopefully be out this year. Her debut came out in 2012, and it's my favorite album of this decade for sure. For those interested, here it is in its entirety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrRTeMq8fw

The only other fully-finished song she's put out since then is a one-off single called "Shirim": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hgdcbLgyY

I know there was one topic started on her in this section of the board back in 2012, but since she has new material in the works (finally), I felt it'd be a good time to bring her up again. The sound she achieved on her debut blows my mind to this day; it takes that dream-pop/shoegaze sound to a whole different place, particularly (for me) with her sweet-sounding voice. There are some intriguing synthesizer and guitar tone combos that I haven't heard before or since, too. And the way she plays her voice like a keyboard in "Quand Vas Tu Rentrer?" (one of two French-sung songs on an otherwise English-sung album) gets me every time. I generally link album covers with the mood of their albums a lot, and the pinkish-orangish hue of the cover is very much felt on the album.

Sorry for the glance back of four years; I view it as reading/listening material to prepare any potential fans for the new material out this year. I hope her second album has a similar level of exploration and sonic coloration!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »

Swans' new album, The Glowing Man, is set to be released on June 17th.
I'm ready, Swans. Take me.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »

Yeah, yeah, I get it: I'm the only Swans fan here.
Seriously, though, this sounds so fuckin good.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »

I heard a Swans track on a mixtape once that was one of the most horrible songs I've ever heard, and seemed to go on for ten minutes. Also the record sleeve I saw about that time ("To Be Kind"?) was one of the ugliest I have ever seen. Not gone near them since. Maybe I was too swift to make my mind up. I'm not ready to risk clicking on any links yet though. I guess they must have done something right (or wrong) to evoke so strong a negative reaction.

Please delete my account
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »

I heard a Swans track on a mixtape once that was one of the most horrible songs I've ever heard, and seemed to go on for ten minutes. Also the record sleeve I saw about that time ("To Be Kind"?) was one of the ugliest I have ever seen. Not gone near them since. Maybe I was too swift to make my mind up. I'm not ready to risk clicking on any links yet though. I guess they must have done something right (or wrong) to evoke so strong a negative reaction.

The link I posted really isn't that extreme. It's about two minutes of a groovy musical vamp that I've listened to numerous times today.

I'd be quite interested to find out what song you heard, especially when you describe it like that. Honestly, I can imagine a lot of their music inspiring that sort of reaction--even as big a fan as I am, sometimes I'm still a little stunned when I listen to something I haven't heard yet. Their first album, Filth, was a total shock to me, and I have no doubt that it would send almost everyone on this website fleeing through the nearest exit. I like it now, though.

These are what their most recent album covers look like:

I'm a little bit disappointed by the new one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:02:31 PM by Bubs » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »

I've never given Swans more than about 5 minutes total. Maybe this time.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 07:01:34 PM »

Maybe this time.

Oh, does that mean you listened to and liked the bit of song?
I'm unsure of what you mean, I guess.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »

Well, my roommate's boyfriend loves that band, if that makes you feel better Tongue

Although what I've heard (that they've shown me) isn't bad. I think I like havetobeintherightmood for it, you know?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/fleet-foxes-are-definitely-getting-back-together/

2016 is going to be a good year.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2016, 05:32:46 AM »

I feel a bit nervous. Here's some stuff that has tickled my fancy within the thread parameters:

Ratatat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlzC1qQH0k&nohtml5=False

Green Buzzard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6F9bgJONqU&nohtml5=False

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2016, 06:03:17 AM »

Maybe this time.

Oh, does that mean you listened to and liked the bit of song?
I'm unsure of what you mean, I guess.

Nope, means I've tried samples a few times but never enjoyed enough to spend any time, so my assorted sampling S probably added up to a total of <5 minutes.

As for the Fleet Foxes talk, unfortunately I find that unexciting too. I found them to be one of the most overrated bands of the past decade. Nice enough, I guess, but totally insubstantial. More a vibe than a band. Just my opinion. And who knows, I might like them this time.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »

As for the Fleet Foxes talk, unfortunately I find that unexciting too. I found them to be one of the most overrated bands of the past decade. Nice enough, I guess, but totally insubstantial. More a vibe than a band. Just my opinion. And who knows, I might like them this time.
Well, it took me forever to like them, too. I've had their stuff on my iPod for years, plus they're from my favorite record label and all of my friends love them, and I only got into them a few months ago. I think some people are immediately captivated by Pecknold's voice, but I actually found it deterring until recently. So I can actually understand that. But just you wait  Grin

I think the new Parquet Courts album drops this Friday, too.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

Well, it took me forever to like them, too. I've had their stuff on my iPod for years, plus they're from my favorite record label and all of my friends love them, and I only got into them a few months ago. I think some people are immediately captivated by Pecknold's voice, but I actually found it deterring until recently. So I can actually understand that. But just you wait  Grin

For me it's more just a lack of interesting songs.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »

Going back to the beginning of last month, a band named Sheer Mag released their third EP, III. There's a lot of sensationalism about them and tornadoes on the internet, so if that catches your interest, feel free to look it up. I will say that the woman up front has a great voice, and her band is solid. They write and perform good songs. They make soulful punk music. This is a music video they made for a song from their most recent EP. They have other music videos and songs, too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »

It did. I hadn't listened to them before but am listening to this album. Very, very much in the vein of Jonathan Richman.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »

It did. I hadn't listened to them before but am listening to this album. Very, very much in the vein of Jonathan Richman.
How do you like it?

I love the first song already. At least the guitar. Getting weird with the voices but whatever.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2016, 06:13:50 AM »

How do you like it?

I love the first song already. At least the guitar. Getting weird with the voices but whatever.

No strong feelings beyond "I really like Jonathan Richman's rock-band work; this sounds like a band trying really hard to make more of those." The thing with Richman is, he was (I should say is, he's not dead...I just haven't strongly connected with his work in quite a while) really an inventive lyricist, which makes the elementary music tolerable. Perfectly fitting, even. Whether P.C. have material that is good enough to overcome its obvious mimicry, I haven't listened enough to decide. For now, it was worth the $10 or whatever and it's nice to have on.

I also got Gallant's Ology. Love that voice.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx