gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:37:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 33996 times)
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:02 AM »

Technically late 2015 I think, but has anyone else heard HITNRUN phase two by Prince? Seriously, this might be his most consistent album since Lovesexy. (I haven't heard a few of them). I've been listening to a lot of latter-day Prince recently trying to find something in it it I like, and suddenly it's like stepping out into daylight. Not to be confused with HITNRUN phase one, which was the usual slim pickings and to be avoided (or at least put aside till you've heard phase two). But this one, I enjoyed every song, and some of them sounded like hits, which is the acid test.

You can listen on a free Tidal trial.

Please delete my account
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 04:53:20 AM »

You're right that it was a late 2015 album. And you're definitely not the only one who thought it was better than Phase One, though I have also heard others say it sounds more like him just painting by numbers. (Pitchfork gave them both a mid-4 out of 10.)

I think it's a good sounding record, and he's just so good that his singing and playing are almost always fantastic. It's not a classic--or even a hit--but it is certainly a good listen.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »

There is a thread wholly dedicated to it, but I thought I'd note here as well that Willie Nelson has a Gershwin covers album out. I picked it up yesterday and really enjoy it. The arrangements are great, very spartan but tasteful. Fantastic guitar work, whether in solos, little runs between vocal lines, or just cool comping. And the mix between guitars and electric piano, organ...just really nice. Willie's singing is really strong, too. Well, not strong, as his voice isn't ever really strong. But good. Nuanced in that Willie Nelson way, delivered by a guy who is coming at you from inside the song. He sings like he knows every nook and cranny. There's no exploration, just occasional use of this or that hidden spot.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »

You're right that it was a late 2015 album. And you're definitely not the only one who thought it was better than Phase One, though I have also heard others say it sounds more like him just painting by numbers. (Pitchfork gave them both a mid-4 out of 10.)

I think it's a good sounding record, and he's just so good that his singing and playing are almost always fantastic. It's not a classic--or even a hit--but it is certainly a good listen.

Yeah, on a further listening I may have got a little carried away. Time will tell.

Please delete my account
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »

Neko Case, KD Lang, and Laura Viers are working on an album together called, well, Case/Lang/Veirs. They put their first song out recently, and you can listen to it on YouTube. Lots of nice harmonies from the female trio. The album is slated for a June 17th release, and you can check out their website to look at the tour dates or buy whatever you wish. They have t-shirts. This is one I'm looking forward to, although the preview song hasn't totally won me over yet. It has a beautiful cover, though; I might have to buy the vinyl.

In other news, new artist Peter Stringer-Hye is one that caught my attention last year when he released his "Sunday Girls" EP. The first song I heard was his "Throw Away the Day" which is predominantly country-rock but also incorporates some slightly-psychedelic organ. The second one I recently heard was the title track, "Sunday Girls." The song, which you might glean from the title, is slightly power-pop-ish. Anywho, "big things" have been promised from him in 2016, so I'm hoping for an album.

Lastly, I subscribe to 4AD on YouTube cuz 4AD is cool, and I saw they posted a new song today. It's called "Idée Fixe" by Methyl Ethel. I quite like it. The beginning is a little typical, but I think the song really takes off at about 1:37. Kinda funky.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2016, 05:39:30 AM »

I know I'm always going on about artists I already knew I loved, but

Jonathan Richman's new album Ishkode! Ishkode! (Blue Arrow records)

is totally amazing.

Please delete my account
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »

Sturgill Simpson has a new album coming out on April 14, 2016 called A Sailor's Guide to Earth. Apparently they're all songs for his son. I am skeptical.
But you can listen to the new single here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miFepGMB55Q

Apparently PJ Harvey also has a record coming out on the same day.

And there's a new Kendrick Lamar EP out.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »

And there's a new Kendrick Lamar EP out.

Exciting and very pleasant surprise! Was just logging in to post this little fact that delighted me upon my return home from work. It's quite a long EP or a short LP, with eight tracks and about half an hour running time, titled untitled unmastered. Purchased and downloading now.

I also heard a few snippets of Loretta Lynn's new album and am going to pick through it to decide whether to buy some or all.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »

It's quite a long EP or a short LP, with eight tracks and about half an hour running time, titled untitled unmastered.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to call it. 8 unreleased tracks, 34 minutes, and it's compromised of material from 2013 to now. I guess you could consider it a compilation.

I s'pose it doesn't really matter. The music on there is great, and I'm happy to have more of whatever that guy creates. Although, I think I prefer the Fallon version of untitled 8 over the one on the... compilation. I think slowing it down a bit was a great idea.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »

I don't really give a whole lot of thought what to call things. For example, if we're talking about material released for the first time, hey, I'll call it an album. How many artists do we know of who have used material recorded, or with roots, in earlier years (or decades)? From Zappa to Prince to Beatles to Beach Boys to Dylan: if it's an initial release, I'm not calling it a compilation. But it doesn't matter anyway. EP versus album also seems like a weird discussion since we're not really discussing physical objects as often anymore (though you're a vinly guy, aren't you?).

Being more a casual fan o Lamar, I don't know anything about the history of any of this and haven't heard it at all, so I'm pretty psyched just to hear what it is.

Buying L. Lynn, btw. Sounds just spectacular: what a singer.

And I should note I got the K. Musgraves remix of Miguel's "Waves." Yes, I'm a sucker for her stuff in general. But I'm not really sure what to make of that tune. Kind of odd pairing, but I can't say it doesn't work. I suspect I'm going to like it increasingly.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2016, 02:51:00 AM »

I think it's more of a compilation of odds and ends, certainly not the follow-up to To Pimp a Butterfly. But I really look forward to hearing it, I'm a huge Kendrick fan.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2016, 10:24:47 AM »

Esperanza Spalding's new album, Emily's D+Evolution, is a good one, particularly if you're a fan of jazz-pop fusion. It's a bit like some of Prince's jazziest stuff, like Rainbow Children, or some Janelle Monae. The instrumental sound goes all over, sometimes reminding me of my '80s and '90s fusion like Chick Corea's Electrik Band, Frank Gambale, or even back to Return to Forever. Yet it's also certainly pop, with R&B feel at times as well. I can't pretend to give a full review yet, as I'm not even done with one full listen. But eight out of 14 tunes in, I'm a big fan.

Nice week for new music! Spalding, Lamar, Lynn already purchased and some consideration going to M Ward, as well (though I'm more likely to listen to that a while on Spotify and maybe get a couple of the best tracks at some point).

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »

Caveman has a new single out. If you don't know them, check out their self-titled. Chill vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjjrNN7OUE

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »

Esperanza Spalding's new album, Emily's D+Evolution, is a good one, particularly if you're a fan of jazz-pop fusion. It's a bit like some of Prince's jazziest stuff, like Rainbow Children, or some Janelle Monae. The instrumental sound goes all over, sometimes reminding me of my '80s and '90s fusion like Chick Corea's Electrik Band, Frank Gambale, or even back to Return to Forever. Yet it's also certainly pop, with R&B feel at times as well. I can't pretend to give a full review yet, as I'm not even done with one full listen. But eight out of 14 tunes in, I'm a big fan.

Nice week for new music! Spalding, Lamar, Lynn already purchased and some consideration going to M Ward, as well (though I'm more likely to listen to that a while on Spotify and maybe get a couple of the best tracks at some point).

Yeah this Spalding album is great. I love it!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:44:21 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2016, 06:40:18 AM »

I don't know if there's something in the water for elderly country musicians this year, but a few weeks after finding and loving Willie Nelson's Gershwin album, I've spent the past week or two giving Loretta Lynn's new album, Full Circle. Absolutely beautiful, produced by John Carter Cash. She's in fantastic voice, especially considering her age. Probably my favorite song on the album is the absolutely gorgeous closer, a duet with Willie Nelson, "Lay Me Down." Simple and touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2jkXyUKC0

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »

Just checking out new and upcoming releases and saw the rapper Domo Genesis (of Odd Future) is releasing his debut album, Genesis in a couple of weeks. The lead single, "Dapper," is available now and I fucking LOVE it. What a great track. His delivery almost reminds me of Ma$e, kind of a mumbling thing, but for whatever reason, it works over the funky instrumental.

https://youtu.be/HLiMrd45I0M?t=30s

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 03:25:20 PM »

This thread (rightly) rambles as people hear this or that, but being almost up to the one-quarter mark of 2016, I was thinking earlier that it's been a surprisingly strong year for music ... and not just music, but albums. (My opinion, obviously.) Last year I thought there were some great songs, but mostly just good or uneven albums. While I'm not saying we're looking at instant classics or anything, I do think there are quite a few top-to-bottom strong ones already.

David Bowie, Blackstar
Willie Nelson, Summertime
Loretta Lynn, Full Circle
Kendrick Lamar, untitled unmastered
Lake Street Dive, Side Pony
Esperanza Spalding, Emily's D+Evolution
Rihanna, ANTI

I think every one of those is worth spending some time with, if they're in the realm of your interest.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2016, 03:36:25 PM »

This thread (rightly) rambles as people hear this or that, but being almost up to the one-quarter mark of 2016, I was thinking earlier that it's been a surprisingly strong year for music ... and not just music, but albums. (My opinion, obviously.) Last year I thought there were some great songs, but mostly just good or uneven albums. While I'm not saying we're looking at instant classics or anything, I do think there are quite a few top-to-bottom strong ones already.

David Bowie, Blackstar
Willie Nelson, Summertime
Loretta Lynn, Full Circle
Kendrick Lamar, untitled unmastered
Lake Street Dive, Side Pony
Esperanza Spalding, Emily's D+Evolution
Rihanna, ANTI

I think every one of those is worth spending some time with, if they're in the realm of your interest.

Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience. There was so much I loved from 2015, but I'm struggling to really find something that wows me right now--aside from Lamar and Bowie. Looking forward to see what Parquet Courts, John Carpenter, PJ Harvey, Brian Eno, Marissa Nadler, Bob Mould, and Case/Lang/Viers have to offer. Plus whoever else I may have mentioned in this thread. Maybe Bob Dylan's new album will be good? I'm not really looking forward to more covers to be honest.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2016, 03:49:53 PM »

Maybe Bob Dylan's new album will be good? I'm not really looking forward to more covers to be honest.

I feel the same way: I'm not at all excited for the Dylan album, actually. Granted, it might kick my ass one it happens. But the idea itself? Meh. I have to admit, as excited I was for him through Love & Theft and Modern Love, I have been almost equally unexcited since. A few good songs on each of the two albums of originals, the Christmas album, the covers album...they sound fine, they have their moments, but it's just not the same.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »

I'm not yet overwhelmed with 2016's music... yet. Mostly because I haven't listened to a lot of the new albums (spending a lot of time catching up on 2015 and whatnot). Plus I'm really just building up suspense for potential Two Door Cinema Club and Shins music. Since Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes is touring with Joanna Newsom, I'm crossing my fingers he'll release something.

Basically, just looking forward to amplifying my love of indie music.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »

Basically, just looking forward to amplifying my love of...

My unsolicited advice is never to do that.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »

I don't know if this has been posted yet (and no I'mnotgonna look through all three pages that's crazy), but Wilco mentioned having another album ready for 2016.

"After last year’s Star Wars album, Wilco have another one ready to go this year, Tweedy says."
From: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/20/wilco-frontman-jeff-tweedy-trumps-success-is-a-sign-of-how-broken-things-have-been

I like Wilco.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »

Basically, just looking forward to amplifying my love of...

My unsolicited advice is never to do that.
And then the following question, why?  Huh

halblaineisgood
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2016, 08:44:02 AM »

Courtney Barnett.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:55:00 AM by Golden Raisins » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »

Courtney Barnett.

Does she have something new this year I'm unaware of? I know she had a single, but her album was '15. (It is a great album though.)

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx