gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:05:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you recommend a Beatles playlist for a Beatles newbie?  (Read 5022 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 05:52:54 PM »

I quite like "Why Don't We Do It in the Road."
KDS
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 05:21:35 AM »

The funny thing here is people posting lists of songs that are supposed to be the worst of the Beatles, but I even like those songs! Okay, Mr. Moonlight is worth a listen if only for the opening by John; What Goes On is a pretty weak late-in-the-game nod towards rockabilly; and I'm not a big fan of Don't Pass Me By, but I don't hate it. I only need to year You Know My Name once every couple years.  And then there are those filler tracks - Wild Honey Pie, Maggie Mae, Dig It, Why Don't We Do it in the Road....why bother? But Only a Northern Song on a worst of the Beatles list? Dig a Pony? Really?

I'm a big fan of Only a Northern Song and Dig a Pony. 

I also don't understand the hate for Mr. Moonlight.  That song always seems to top lists of worst Beatles songs.  I love the arrangement with the organ, and Lennon's vocals. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »

The funny thing here is people posting lists of songs that are supposed to be the worst of the Beatles, but I even like those songs! Okay, Mr. Moonlight is worth a listen if only for the opening by John; What Goes On is a pretty weak late-in-the-game nod towards rockabilly; and I'm not a big fan of Don't Pass Me By, but I don't hate it. I only need to year You Know My Name once every couple years.  And then there are those filler tracks - Wild Honey Pie, Maggie Mae, Dig It, Why Don't We Do it in the Road....why bother? But Only a Northern Song on a worst of the Beatles list? Dig a Pony? Really?

I'm a big fan of Only a Northern Song and Dig a Pony. 

I also don't understand the hate for Mr. Moonlight.  That song always seems to top lists of worst Beatles songs.  I love the arrangement with the organ, and Lennon's vocals. 
To me, the vocals sound discordant and, while I love John Lennon's voice usually, this is a croony song and he's not a crooner.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »

I've always thought Mr Moonlight was the best cover on Beatles For Sale, far and away. When I was getting into the Beatles, it was a favorite. I started discovering their full albums at a very early age, so I didn't know how much hatred for it there was until later when I became internet-saavy. It's a good song, good harmonies, good vocal, interestingly arranged.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
KDS
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 07:45:56 AM »

I've always thought Mr Moonlight was the best cover on Beatles For Sale, far and away. When I was getting into the Beatles, it was a favorite. I started discovering their full albums at a very early age, so I didn't know how much hatred for it there was until later when I became internet-saavy. It's a good song, good harmonies, good vocal, interestingly arranged.

Beatles For Sale is a very underrated Beatles album.  John was starting to get away from the traditional boy/girl songs he was writing.  No Reply, I'm a Loser, and Baby's in Black are great songs. 

As for the covers, in addition to Mr. Moonlight, Rock and Roll Music and Honey Don't are also great.  Although I prefer the versions of Honey Don't with John on vox from the BBC Sessions. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »

But that "Rock on, George, for Ringo" bit is so iconic!

I normally don't rate Beatles for Sale as high as some of the others but it sure if full of great songs. Also love Every Little Thing - great melody on that one.
KDS
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »

But that "Rock on, George, for Ringo" bit is so iconic!

I normally don't rate Beatles for Sale as high as some of the others but it sure if full of great songs. Also love Every Little Thing - great melody on that one.

I think Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison were also fans of Every Little Thing.  Compare the chorus of Every Little Thing with Roy's You Got It. 

The Beatles IMO are one of the only bands in existence where I think you can make a legit argument for any of their albums as their best (with the obvious exception of the Yellow Submarine OST). 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »

I think Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison were also fans of Every Little Thing.  Compare the chorus of Every Little Thing with Roy's You Got It. 

Never thought of that before. Nice catch.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »

I agree with just about everything you say here. One addition: the so-called songs like Wild Honey Pie and Why Don't We Do It in the Road, I see not as much as filler put as little bits that are crucial to the tone of The White Album. Of course, out of context, a song like Wild Honey Pie isn't anything. But I still think it's pretty crucial to the whole feel of the LP.
I agree. That is an album that I can't hear just one song from; if you play me Back In the USSR, I will hear Dear Prudence in my head when it finishes...and so on. I even enjoy Revolution 9.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx