gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:49:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Original Guns 'n' Roses: Reuniting (Coachella + Tour)?  (Read 11470 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 05:09:08 AM »

I'm really curios about how Axl and Slash are getting along. From what I can tell in the available footage, there doesn't seem to be much interaction between them.

I imagine it's a Motley Crue / Van Halen type arrangement where the only time they really see each other is onstage. 

Even in their heydey, I don't think there was much on stage interaction between Axl and Slash. 
That's sad, if you think about it. These guys have known each other since 1984. They deserve better than to settle for an arrangement where nothing is actually worked out between them.

All too common when it comes to bands.  I think that's why Pink Floyd didn't accept the Brinks truck that was driven up to them after their 2005 one off Live 8 Performance.  If you're already rich, why be miserable when you don't need to be? 

From a selfish point of view, I'm grateful for the opportunity to hear those songs done with 60% of the members who played on them.  As a classic rock fan, that's as good as you can hope for sometimes. 
Oh, I'm thrilled to be able to hear Slash,, Duff, and Axl together again. After the Roack and Roll Hall of Fame, I was 100% positive Axl and Slash would never  be in the same room ever again. The Hall of Fame was the miracle us fans needed, and it didn't happen. To go on YouTube and see Slash onstage with Axl in 2016 is a strange, surreal scene that I'm not sure I even believe yet.  LOL I just wish that at the end of the day, they can be friends, you know?

Yeah, I get what you're saying.  I'm just hoping they stay friendly enough to complete the tour. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »

I see it differently.  Personally I used to work with lots of people, some of those people I didn't get along with.  We can't really expect me to work with people I don't get along with for 40 years... and we can't really expect Axl and Slash to be great friends, maybe they just don't get along.  I don't really think it speaks bad about either of them, although I've always heard Axl was the hard one to get along with.

With all that said, though, I also see the scenario where a band just has to stand on stage with each other for 3 hours every few nights, and they make a ton of money and make a ton of fans happy.  Nothing wrong with that either... but it takes professionalism. 

I'm just glad to see the guys acting like pros for a little while at least. 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 04:19:54 PM »

I just saw this quote from the great Courtney Barnett re wanting to see the reunion. "To wish for bands to reunite is like wishing your divorced parents get back together: You'll be happy, but they'll be having a really bad time." (Sorry if someone else has posted this already, I just saw it today.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/courtney-barnett-on-guns-n-roses-jack-white-and-ramen-inspiration-20160329#ixzz46spFaQss

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 05:20:00 AM »

I just saw this quote from the great Courtney Barnett re wanting to see the reunion. "To wish for bands to reunite is like wishing your divorced parents get back together: You'll be happy, but they'll be having a really bad time." (Sorry if someone else has posted this already, I just saw it today.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/courtney-barnett-on-guns-n-roses-jack-white-and-ramen-inspiration-20160329#ixzz46spFaQss

While she might have a point, it isn't always the case.  Sometimes, time can thaw icy relationships.  The Eagles seemed to be alright in the last stage of their career.  Anthrax seems to be very happy with Joey Belladonna these days.  Some with Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson.

I was reading about the 2016 version of GNR (I struggle to call it a reunion without Izzy, Steve, Gilby, or Matt), that suggested that one of Axl's biggest issues with Slash was that Axl had been mostly sober since the late 80s, while Slash was imbibing in.....everything.   Now, Slash is sober.  One of Axl's problems with Slash was Slash's wife, and they've recently divorced. 
KDS
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 08:26:26 AM »

I attended the 2nd show on Guns N Roses "Not in This Lifetime" Tour in Landover, MD on Sunday night. 

I can say that the show far exceeded any expectations I had.  Axl, Slash, Duff, and Co played an amazing two and a half hour set.  Axl's voice showed some wear towards the end of the set, but all in all, the show was amazing. 

I was hesitant to get a ticket at first, but I'm very glad I did. 

I did notice that when the band came out at the end of the encore to take a bow, Axl was wearing an AC/DC jacket.  Could his heart already be somewhere else? 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2016, 09:14:05 AM »

Damn, I really wish I could see this tour. They sound amazing from the available recordings I've heard. All sounds better than he has in years. One of the things I did not want to see happen was Duff and Slash having to play Chinese Democracy songs, but now that ive actually heard them play a few, they sound MUCH better than the studio versions. This could end up being one hell of a tour. I can't wait for the inevitable CD/DVD release.  Grin

I came when I learned that Coma was in the set list.   Evil

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:43 AM »

Damn, I really wish I could see this tour. They sound amazing from the available recordings I've heard. All sounds better than he has in years. One of the things I did not want to see happen was Duff and Slash having to play Chinese Democracy songs, but now that ive actually heard them play a few, they sound MUCH better than the studio versions. This could end up being one hell of a tour. I can't wait for the inevitable CD/DVD release.  Grin

I'd always liked the CD song "Better," but live it went from a decent song to a very good song. 

I hope they do release a CD/DVD from the tour. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:08 AM »

I'd always liked the CD song "Better," but live it went from a decent song to a very good song. 

To me, "Better" and "Chinese Democracy" sound like "classic" Guns N' Roses songs with Slash and Duff. I wish those songs had existed  25 or so years ago.  Grin

KDS
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »

To me, "Better" and "Chinese Democracy" sound like "classic" Guns N' Roses songs with Slash and Duff. I wish those songs had existed  25 or so years ago.  Grin

I'd agree with that. 

"This I Love" also sounded really good live. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:40 AM »

I LOVE "This I Love". I loved it from the first time I heard it. I consider it one of Axl's greatest songs. Having Slash on it just makes it even greater. I've oftened wondered how "There Was A Time" would sound with Slash and Duff.

KDS
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:49 AM »

I LOVE "This I Love". I loved it from the first time I heard it. I consider it one of Axl's greatest songs. Having Slash on it just makes it even greater. I've oftened wondered how "There Was A Time" would sound with Slash and Duff.

To be honest, I found the Chinese Democracy album to be a cumbersome listen.  Since "This I Love" is tucked away at the end of the album, I don't think I paid it any mind.  So, I didn't recognize it when I heard it the other night.  Makes me wonder if I need to give the album another listen. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »

I don't actually have the album. My knowledge is to the extent of just the few songs we have already discussed.  Grin

KDS
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »

I don't actually have the album. My knowledge is to the extent of just the few songs we have already discussed.  Grin

I bought it when Best Buy heavily discounted it.  From what I remember, it was kind of a mess.  Of course, it was recorded over a decade's time with many different musicians. 

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »

Went to the Orlando show last night. Perhaps one of the best concerts I've ever been to and certainly the best GnR show Ive ever witnessed firsthand.

This band is several times better with Slash back with them.  Tickets aren't cheap, but very much worth it.

Took a few video clips with my phone & uploaded to youtube:

Nightrain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCOVvYPwh0

Sweet Child O'Mine- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QL9wylB6oM

Slash Solo -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DcIFSDzA8

echostabber424
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2016, 12:51:22 AM »

While no dates or venues yet, Guns N Roses have announced cities in the US they'll be hitting on tour.

http://eddietrunk.com/guns-n-roses-announce-north-american-tour-dates/

Looking forward to it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx