gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:52:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Original Guns 'n' Roses: Reuniting (Coachella + Tour)?  (Read 11467 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 07:54:04 AM »

So, the tour dates are official, and tickets go on sale this Friday. 

I heard the warm up show was great, and Axl was in good form.  My question is whether or not Axl will show up on time. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »

Showing up on time would be a measure of his discipline, and the only other thing we have to point to that is his weight.  He looks to have lost a lot of weight which would have taken a lot of discipline... I think he's in a good place right now and about to put on a hell of a tour... at least at first.  To me the real question is how does the band act 2 months into it?

KDS
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »

Showing up on time would be a measure of his discipline, and the only other thing we have to point to that is his weight.  He looks to have lost a lot of weight which would have taken a lot of discipline... I think he's in a good place right now and about to put on a hell of a tour... at least at first.  To me the real question is how does the band act 2 months into it?

I hope you're right, but if I do decide to get tickets to one of the GNR shows, I'm definitely taking off work the following day, just in case there's a late start time. 

I saw tickets can be had (granted not great seats) for under $100, so I might go for it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »

They're playing at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. I'd love to be able to go see them. I need to figure out how far of a trip it would be. I live in Sharon, PA.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »

Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, they're playing Fed Ex Field in Landover, MD (home of the Washington Redskins). 

That stadium is the most difficult venue in the Baltimore/DC/VA area to go to an from.  It took me four hours to drive to a Paul McCartney show there back in 2009, on a Saturday.  It's only about a 30 mile drive.  The parking lot is a disaster.  Takes forever to get there, and to leave. 
KDS
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 05:21:48 AM »

Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, they're playing Fed Ex Field in Landover, MD (home of the Washington Redskins). 

That stadium is the most difficult venue in the Baltimore/DC/VA area to go to an from.  It took me four hours to drive to a Paul McCartney show there back in 2009, on a Saturday.  It's only about a 30 mile drive.  The parking lot is a disaster.  Takes forever to get there, and to leave. 

But, I caved and bought tickets via the Facebook presale yesterday. 

Although Ticketmaster should've at least taken me to dinner before hitting me with those service charges.  Still under $100 per ticket with the fees.

We're in the upper deck, but we'll be there. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2016, 02:34:30 PM »

I envy you.  Grin From the available footage of the gig  yesterday, they sound amazing. All actually sounds pretty Damn good. They performed "Coma", which was a real surprise. They're also doing a few Chinese Democracy songs, and they sound so much better with Slash.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »

Interesting they did those songs. Maybe G&R re-imagines Chinese Democracy? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 11:33:30 AM »

I've been watching the youtube footage of those first few shows, broken-footed Axl in his throne and everything. To see Illusion tunes like "Estranged" and "Coma" is a slight, but pleasant, surprise. And of course it was even more surprising to hear of them doing the Chinese Democracy stuff, but it's great: at this point, just make some setlists, everyone compromise a little, and put on a great show. It's a bit sad Axl is immobilized, but conversely it makes him focus on his voice, which might not be a bad thing for the sound.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 09:05:56 PM »

They're also doing a few Chinese Democracy songs, and they sound so much better with Slash.

I'm not the type to bash the fill in guys, like the dude in the top hat that played all Slash's solos the last couple years it looked like... he seems very talented and I'm sure he's great, but I concur with you that Slash sounds much better.  He just has a lot of soul that comes out in his playing, he's a natural guitar god.  I saw a video of the other guy doing "Sweet Child 'o Mine" and while he was playing it note for note the soul was completely missing out of it.  Really neutered the song. 
KDS
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 05:20:44 AM »

They're also doing a few Chinese Democracy songs, and they sound so much better with Slash.

I'm not the type to bash the fill in guys, like the dude in the top hat that played all Slash's solos the last couple years it looked like... he seems very talented and I'm sure he's great, but I concur with you that Slash sounds much better.  He just has a lot of soul that comes out in his playing, he's a natural guitar god.  I saw a video of the other guy doing "Sweet Child 'o Mine" and while he was playing it note for note the soul was completely missing out of it.  Really neutered the song. 

The fill in guitar player was a guy named DJ Ashba.  While in GNR, he imitated to Slash to the point where he even donned a top hat.  But, if you want to hear what Ashba can really do, check out the first s/t album from a band called Beautiful Creatures. 

He's also the guitarist in Nikki Sixx's band Sixx AM who'll likely be more busy now that Crue have done their farewell tour. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »

I wonder if this announcement was made earlier than planned to squash the rumor of Axl playing with AC/DC.

http://pitchfork.com/news/64442-axl-rose-is-acdcs-new-frontman/

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 05:47:25 AM »

I wonder if this announcement was made earlier than planned to squash the rumor of Axl playing with AC/DC.

http://pitchfork.com/news/64442-axl-rose-is-acdcs-new-frontman/

So, Axl's having quite a busy summer then.  With the GNR Tour, I would've bet my house that there was no way that Axl would do any shows with AC/DC. 

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 09:44:14 PM »

I'm excited to see Axl getting into the swing of things, I hope it works out for him.  It's a shame to see such talented singers disappear for decades, I'm also looking at you Steve Perry!!!!

KDS
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 05:13:44 AM »

I'm excited to see Axl getting into the swing of things, I hope it works out for him.  It's a shame to see such talented singers disappear for decades, I'm also looking at you Steve Perry!!!!

Steve Perry has come out of the woodwork recently.  He did a live appearance with The Eels, doing a couple of Journey songs. 

I honestly think that the other guys in Journey wouldn't have him back.  They are very profitable without Perry. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 05:29:09 AM »

Steve Perry has come out of the woodwork recently.  He did a live appearance with The Eels, doing a couple of Journey songs. 

I honestly think that the other guys in Journey wouldn't have him back.  They are very profitable without Perry. 

I believe that was here in the twin cities too--yet I missed it! (I've seen Eels probably 4-5 times and just got burned out.) very cool.

KDS
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 05:34:03 AM »

I believe that was here in the twin cities too--yet I missed it! (I've seen Eels probably 4-5 times and just got burned out.) very cool.

My wife and I were actually considering going to see Journey with The Doobie Brothers this summer.  Steve Smith is back on drums, so they have the entire classic lineup sans Perry, who I don't think will ever play with them again.

But, GNR announced they were touring.  Journey comes around every summer.  This GNR thing is most likely a one off reunion between a talented prolific musician and an ego driven lead singer.....sounds oddly familiar. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »

I'm kind of disappointed that Axl has joined AC/DC. I would have thought that the Guns N' Roses tour would have been extended once the U.S. shows were done. It's odd that they don't seem to be playing any shows outside of America. I was hoping that the reunion wouldn't be temporary.

KDS
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »

I'm kind of disappointed that Axl has joined AC/DC. I would have thought that the Guns N' Roses tour would have been extended once the U.S. shows were done. It's odd that they don't seem to be playing any shows outside of America. I was hoping that the reunion wouldn't be temporary.

I could be wrong, but I think AC/DC just needs to make up about ten or so dates that were postponed.  So, I have a feeling after Axl does those dates, the GNR tour on.  I'd be surprised if the GNR tour doesn't hit Europe. 

I still think it's only temporary though.  There have been talks of new music, but we'll see. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »

I'd be surprised if there's much, if any, new music. My guess is they capitalize on the huge $ they can draw from reunion shows for a while, and that's it. Maybe some ill-conceived attempt at studio work that blows up.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »

I'm really curios about how Axl and Slash are getting along. From what I can tell in the available footage, there doesn't seem to be much interaction between them.

KDS
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »

I'm really curios about how Axl and Slash are getting along. From what I can tell in the available footage, there doesn't seem to be much interaction between them.

I imagine it's a Motley Crue / Van Halen type arrangement where the only time they really see each other is onstage. 

Even in their heydey, I don't think there was much on stage interaction between Axl and Slash. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »

I imagine it's a Motley Crue / Van Halen type arrangement where the only time they really see each other is onstage. 

Even in their heydey, I don't think there was much on stage interaction between Axl and Slash. 
That's sad, if you think about it. These guys have known each other since 1984. They deserve better than to settle for an arrangement where nothing is actually worked out between them.

KDS
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »

That's sad, if you think about it. These guys have known each other since 1984. They deserve better than to settle for an arrangement where nothing is actually worked out between them.

All too common when it comes to bands.  I think that's why Pink Floyd didn't accept the Brinks truck that was driven up to them after their 2005 one off Live 8 Performance.  If you're already rich, why be miserable when you don't need to be? 

From a selfish point of view, I'm grateful for the opportunity to hear those songs done with 60% of the members who played on them.  As a classic rock fan, that's as good as you can hope for sometimes. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »

All too common when it comes to bands.  I think that's why Pink Floyd didn't accept the Brinks truck that was driven up to them after their 2005 one off Live 8 Performance.  If you're already rich, why be miserable when you don't need to be? 

From a selfish point of view, I'm grateful for the opportunity to hear those songs done with 60% of the members who played on them.  As a classic rock fan, that's as good as you can hope for sometimes. 
Oh, I'm thrilled to be able to hear Slash,, Duff, and Axl together again. After the Roack and Roll Hall of Fame, I was 100% positive Axl and Slash would never  be in the same room ever again. The Hall of Fame was the miracle us fans needed, and it didn't happen. To go on YouTube and see Slash onstage with Axl in 2016 is a strange, surreal scene that I'm not sure I even believe yet.  LOL I just wish that at the end of the day, they can be friends, you know?

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx