gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Collector  (Read 21690 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2016, 03:02:50 PM »

The article was finally made available online as a download through the RC website.

Since he is a member here and started the thread here months ago that was research for the piece, I'm hoping Iain Lee will entertain some dialogue and questions about his article.

I'd like to start: What were some of your sources for the information on which you based the opinions offered in your piece?

I want to bump this in hopes Iain Lee will entertain a dialogue on his article here.

Asking Iain again: What were some of your sources for the information on which you based your opinions expressed in your article?
I'd like to know when Mike's management first approached him to write this article?

There's no need for stuff like that. Iain's a genuine fan of Mike -- I've traded music with him in the past, and he was most interested in getting hold of copies of Mike's unreleased solo stuff, and any live performances of Mike solo songs like Sumahama.
Andrew, you don't know that didn't happen. It's neither a slight, nor uncommon, for management to hire a writer to write a puff piece. Considering Ian's bio, and his fandom of Mike, he was an ideal person to approach!

And you have literally *no* evidence that it did happen, but felt it reasonable to make the accusation as if it were a generally-accepted fact. Given that Iain's been doing a whole series of articles for Record Collector about music he loves (he just recently did one on the Monkees and another is coming out soon about Arthur Lee) there's no reason to posit any motive other than a genuine enthusiasm for the subject.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2016, 03:11:48 PM »

The article was finally made available online as a download through the RC website.

Since he is a member here and started the thread here months ago that was research for the piece, I'm hoping Iain Lee will entertain some dialogue and questions about his article.

I'd like to start: What were some of your sources for the information on which you based the opinions offered in your piece?

I want to bump this in hopes Iain Lee will entertain a dialogue on his article here.

Asking Iain again: What were some of your sources for the information on which you based your opinions expressed in your article?
I'd like to know when Mike's management first approached him to write this article?

There's no need for stuff like that. Iain's a genuine fan of Mike -- I've traded music with him in the past, and he was most interested in getting hold of copies of Mike's unreleased solo stuff, and any live performances of Mike solo songs like Sumahama.
Andrew, you don't know that didn't happen. It's neither a slight, nor uncommon, for management to hire a writer to write a puff piece. Considering Ian's bio, and his fandom of Mike, he was an ideal person to approach!

And you have literally *no* evidence that it did happen, but felt it reasonable to make the accusation as if it were a generally-accepted fact. Given that Iain's been doing a whole series of articles for Record Collector about music he loves (he just recently did one on the Monkees and another is coming out soon about Arthur Lee) there's no reason to posit any motive other than a genuine enthusiasm for the subject.

It still leaves me wondering why - as I was one of the few actually defending Iain in his original thread as there were calls for him to be banned, for the thread to be locked/deleted, etc - either nothing or very, very little was said in this regard to defend him. If anything, he was being called out as someone looking to stir the pot to cause a dust-up, or worse accused of trolling, and I don't recall anything being said regarding him being a fan...even by Iain himself, unless I missed it.

It would be good if he would engage in a dialogue considering the article is now available for all to purchase and read, and some people on this board have some questions or comments.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »

It still leaves me wondering why - as I was one of the few actually defending Iain in his original thread as there were calls for him to be banned, for the thread to be locked/deleted, etc - either nothing or very, very little was said in this regard to defend him. If anything, he was being called out as someone looking to stir the pot to cause a dust-up, or worse accused of trolling, and I don't recall anything being said regarding him being a fan...even by Iain himself, unless I missed it.

It would be good if he would engage in a dialogue considering the article is now available for all to purchase and read, and some people on this board have some questions or comments.

Well, I would have said something had I been posting on the board at that point. I can't speak for his motives for starting the thread -- maybe he *did* want to stir the pot for all I know -- but he's a genuine fan. Google his name and "Beach Boys" and you'll see ample evidence that he's a Beach Boys fan.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »

Is Iain's PM system broken?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »

Well, I would have said something had I been posting on the board at that point. I can't speak for his motives for starting the thread -- maybe he *did* want to stir the pot for all I know -- but he's a genuine fan. Google his name and "Beach Boys" and you'll see ample evidence that he's a Beach Boys fan.

I don't doubt that at all, as I knew him as a Monkees fan and devotee and backed him up. In light of these recent posts, I'm wondering why some of the people here who were calling for bans and deletions acted as they did and Iain didn't clarify anything as it was happening. Or, why people who may know him as a fan of the Beach Boys and of Mike said what they did. Seriously, review some of the comments in that thread - The townsfolk showed up with the torches and pitchforks after Iain posted his thread.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2016, 03:52:25 PM »

I'm sure Iain will eventually be back. 2016 is the year of The Monkees and he's involved in various Monkees-centric projects, including one happening this week.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »

My my, Andrew, you seem very upset over something so insignificant. As this is a standard entertainment business practice, and considering it is such a huge puff piece, it wouldn't be surprising that this was in fact the case. I assume Iain has to eat, pay bills, work for a living. Also, he completely ignored (such as below) all the information supplied in the thread.  It clearly was just an angle already cooked up as part of his piece.

Cam, I did PM Iain to see if he was interested in hearing my reasons for disliking Mike Love. He said he did so I PM'd the story of ny seedy, distasteful back stage experience with Mr. Love. Even offering him a few photos taken of Mike unawares. No response.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

My my, Andrew, you seem very upset over something so insignificant.

Yep. Almost as if it's annoying to see the same groundless accusations made, over and over again, against anyone who expresses any kind of positive opinion about Mike. Apparently Iain has now joined myself, AGD, Cam Mott, Uncle Tom Cobley and all on Mike's payroll. No wonder he tours so much if he's having to pay off so many people...

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »

My my, Andrew, you seem very upset over something so insignificant. As this is a standard entertainment business practice, and considering it is such a huge puff piece, it wouldn't be surprising that this was in fact the case. I assume Iain has to eat, pay bills, work for a living. Also, he completely ignored (such as below) all the information supplied in the thread.  It clearly was just an angle already cooked up as part of his piece.

Cam, I did PM Iain to see if he was interested in hearing my reasons for disliking Mike Love. He said he did so I PM'd the story of ny seedy, distasteful back stage experience with Mr. Love. Even offering him a few photos taken of Mike unawares. No response.

Well I'm glad somebody contacted him, maybe you could ask him if he could discuss his article on the board. He kept us informed about it so I'm sure will when he has time.

Since you mention it, somehow some people believe some how around your story I've condoned adultery. I don't know where that idea comes from but I've been faithfully married to the same woman for 41 years and I do not condone adultery in any form by anyone.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »

Well I'm glad somebody contacted him, maybe you could ask him if he could discuss his article on the board. He kept us informed about it so I'm sure will when he has time.

Since you mention it, somehow some people believe some how around your story I've condoned adultery. I don't know where that idea comes from but I've been faithfully married to the same woman for 41 years and I do not condone adultery in any form by anyone.
My Cam, I've never gone public with the story, let alone your reaction. All via PM. I'm not aware of anyone  accusiing you of condoning adultery. With your permission, I can post your PM response to clarify matters?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

My my, Andrew, you seem very upset over something so insignificant. As this is a standard entertainment business practice, and considering it is such a huge puff piece, it wouldn't be surprising that this was in fact the case. I assume Iain has to eat, pay bills, work for a living. Also, he completely ignored (such as below) all the information supplied in the thread.  It clearly was just an angle already cooked up as part of his piece.

My Cam, I've never gone public with the story, let alone your reaction. All via PM. I'm not aware of anyone  accusiing you of condoning adultery. With your permission, I can post your PM response to clarify matters?

I didn't say you did go public.  If the Mods are cool with it you have my permission if you also post all of your contacts and replies.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:54:02 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »

So you are all over me for making a logical assumption yet you can't speak of motives? Me thinks you protest too much!

If he was such a big Mike fan, he surely would already have Mike's solo stuff. I has been freely available for download for years. I have it all. Anyway, it's no slight to be hired to write articles by PR reps. You might find this article enlightening:     http://www.theguardian.com/film/2002/dec/08/features.magazine1

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »

My Cam, I've never gone public with the story, let alone your reaction. All via PM. I'm not aware of anyone  accusiing you of condoning adultery. With your permission, I can post your PM response to clarify matters?

I didn't say you did you did go public.  If the Mods are cool with it you have my permission if you also post all of your contacts and replies.
You want me to post all the people who PM'd me for my story and their reaction? LMAO  LOL

You were talking about yourself and defending adultery Cam. I was coming to your defense. In your behalf, I offered to post your PM so the board can see "the actual Cam Mott reaction".

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2016, 06:23:15 PM »

I didn't say you did you did go public.  If the Mods are cool with it you have my permission if you also post all of your contacts and replies.
You want me to post all the people who PM'd me for my story and their reaction? LMAO  LOL

You were talking about yourself and defending adultery Cam. I was coming to your defense. In your behalf, I offered to post your PM so the board can see "the actual Cam Mott reaction".

No, just our correspondence.  OK.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »

Jeff and Lester, is that you?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2016, 02:16:20 AM »

OregonRiverRider was clearly - clearly! - just making a joke. Well done on turning it into a major thread-derailing argument.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2016, 02:41:22 AM »

OregonRiverRider was clearly - clearly! - just making a joke. Well done on turning it into a major thread-derailing argument.

Given past threads on this board I think it's understandable that ORR's joke - if it was a joke, as he's subsequently defended that response - would be interpreted in that way. Saw it the same way myself to be frank.

My crystal ball shows only a dark future for this thread until mystic Billy conjures up a line! Show us a line!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2016, 03:09:50 AM »

Not so much a joke as a Pavlovian response.

As for the original "research" thread... yes, it was a conscious stirring of the pot by the author. Otherwise he would have titled it something decidedly less provocative than "Why Do You Hate Mike Love" - say, "What Do Posters Here Think Of Mike Love".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:57:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2016, 05:25:39 AM »

Personally, i'm of the opinion that if you hate - as in really genuinely hate - Mike Love, then you're not really a beach boys fan at all. His was an integral and important element of their sound.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »

Yeah, I was. But someone's panties got in such a twist, got me wondering.  Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx