gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:04:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Collector  (Read 21768 times)
IainLee
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:22:13 AM »

Well, my article made the front page of Record Collector magazine.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:08:30 AM by IainLee » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:44:44 AM »

"Some people just like to watch the world burn."
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »

G'wan, put the article up here ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »

Nice one Ian!  I'm looking forward to reading it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »

I guess I'm a dead man...it's been fun...

As in "the article is sympathetic to Mike" and you think this board will erupt? Or as in "the article tears Mike a new one" and you think Mike or Mike sympathizers on this board or elsewhere will complain?

An even-handed, thoughtful piece will be welcomed by most everyone here I would say. Jon Stebbins did a piece along those lines in his Beach Boys "FAQ" book.  I don't think anyone interested in accuracy and fairness is looking either for a sunshine-filled love letter to Mike like some Beard/ESQ articles, nor a hatchet job that ignores his important role in the BB legacy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:53:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »

I guess I'm a dead man...it's been fun...

As in "the article is sympathetic to Mike" and you think this board will erupt? Or as in "the article tears Mike a new one" and you think Mike or Mike sympathizers on this board or elsewhere will complain?

An even-handed, thoughtful piece will be welcomed by most everyone here I would say. Jon Stebbins did a piece along those lines in his Beach Boys "FAQ" book.  I don't think anyone interested in accuracy and fairness is looking either for a sunshine-filled love letter to Mike like some Beard/ESQ articles, nor a hatchet job that ignores his important role in the BB legacy.

Iain's described the piece to me on Twitter as being "in defence of Mike Love", and he's also said before that he thinks Summer In Paradise a better album than Love You, so I think very much the former rather than the latter.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »

Iain's described the piece to me on Twitter as being "in defence of Mike Love", and he's also said before that he thinks Summer In Paradise a better album than Love You, so I think very much the former rather than the latter.

Shocked  To each their own I guess...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »

Hrmmmm........

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »

Oh wow. I'm not about to spend 60 pounds for a U.S. Subscription to read this. And I don't have an iPad. Any options?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 02:39:35 PM »

Oh wow. I'm not about to spend 60 pounds for a U.S. Subscription to read this. And I don't have an iPad. Any options?
Exactly, Emily - maybe since he came to this site looking for "input" - he could send a "courtesy copy" for the board to review.   LOL
IainLee
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »

I should mention...the use of the word 'genius' on the cover is added by the magazine and is slightly misleading as to the content of my piece. I don't call anyone a genius in the article.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »

I figured it was probably the publishers/editors who picked that verbiage. They certainly want people to turn their head and scream "Whaaaaaa?"

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »

No. No. Just... no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »

No. No. Just... no.

Each to his own… every time I play SiP I like it a little more… Strange Things Happen is a guilty pleasure.

Looking forward to reading the piece when the mag hits he streets though I do hope it's more than a vox pop of opinion on this board! Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »

No. No. Just... no.

Each to his own… every time I play SiP I like it a little more… Strange Things Happen is a guilty pleasure.

Looking forward to reading the piece when the mag hits he streets though I do hope it's more than a vox pop of opinion on this board! Smiley
Hey UK people, I don't think I'll be able to buy this at any local news stands. Would one of you send me a copy when you get a chance?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »

No. No. Just... no.

Hey UK people, I don't think I'll be able to buy this at any local news stands. Would one of you send me a copy when you get a chance?

When it hits the stands I'll buy a couple of extras and see who's in need. Will post here when I have them; slight chance I won't see them for a while though as I'm in the sticks, so wait for the post first folks.

(May trade for Durrie Parks acetates…!)

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 04:17:44 PM »

No. No. Just... no.

When it hits the stands I'll buy a couple of extras and see who's in need. Will post here when I have them; slight chance I won't see them for a while though as I'm in the sticks, so wait for the post first folks.

Sadly I have nothing of value to trade, unless you want a Labrador.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »

No. No. Just... no.

Sadly I have nothing of value to trade, unless you want a Labrador.

Not really looking for a trade

(Unless you have acetates! Grin )

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

Would AGD trade his famous black hat? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »

That headline at least will make buttering him up to get a vinyl reissue deal MUCH easier. I mean, this is right up there with the Melody Maker poll!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »

You can buy individual issues I believe. As an example, the Dec issue is 8 pounds 40p delivered to the US. The Jan issue should be the same.

http://shop.recordcollectormag.com/issue/View/issue/RC448/issue-448-xma-2015
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 12:47:21 AM »

I'll defend everything he did with the group up until '77 and even after that I like Kokomo, Sumahama, lots of stuff, even Still Cruisin' if I'm in the right mood. Getcha Back is great. But none of his contributions are even close to coming up with stuff like the backing tracks to California Girls or You Still Believe in Me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 01:04:36 AM »

That headline at least will make buttering him up to get a vinyl reissue deal MUCH easier. I mean, this is right up there with the Melody Maker poll!

*koff* NME *koff*  Smiley

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 02:05:43 AM »

Ah aha! Didn't they buy it in 2000 or so?

I guess a lot of people attributed it incorrectly.  I'd read it that way so many times! Just a quick google turns up:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19831229&id=udkzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OzIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=5735,8130263&hl=en
http://www.inmusicwetrust.com/articles/57r51.html
http://rokpool.com/category/tags/mike-love

Unleash the fact-checking dogs!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:07:26 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 02:20:46 AM »

I guess a lot of websites attribute it incorrectly, or can't be bothered to fact-check:

http://www.nme.com/awards/history/1966

You were saying ?  Grin

And before anyone says, yes, I've checked the MM Pop Poll for 1966: some Liverpool combo won.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:27:41 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx