gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:11:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lemmy, 1945-2015  (Read 1835 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »

It took close to a decade for the Grim Reaper to bring him down, but after 70 years of the kind of living that most people couldn't manage in 700, Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead is gone. Though his best-known music hardly brings our guys to mind, it is a fact that he began his professional career playing BBs covers in the Rockin' Vickers. RIP.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:53:09 AM »

Besides being a real character, Lemmy was a most unusual bass-player, having abruptly switched from guitar (which he played when with the Vicars and Sam Gopal) to bass when he joined Hawkwind, taking a smattering of guitar technique with him (double stops, etc).

This was Hawkwind's finest hour (a UK#3 in 1972)----I remember it being played constantly in pubs in the Portobello Road area, which was where the band hung out.

R.I.P., Lemmy. I will miss you but I know my wife's nephew certainly will, he being a lifelong Motörhead fanatic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:20:22 AM »

Lemmy's health had been failing for the last few years.  So, unfortunately, the news of his death yesterday wasn't exactly a shock. 

While not talked about here much, Lemmy was an icon of hard rock / heavy metal.  His legend and his persona has arguably eclipsed his music.  And Motorhead was putting out pretty consistent releases until the very end. 

Just as he once sang, "That's the way I like it baby.  I don't wanna live forever." 

RIP
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »

I had a friend who was more into Motorhead than I was, and the way he talked nearly 15 years ago Lenny was supposedly on his way out, way back then.  That's a pretty good run to beat all that!   
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:30:04 AM »

Killed by Death.. It made me really sad yesterday. An influential musician and honest human being, raw and always to the point. Pretty cool they released a final LP this year, which itself was a cool record. After hearing the news in the morning I listened to their 2015 "Sympathy for the Devil" cover over and over again over coffee. Great people die all the time and many of them would want us to live life to its fullest, be brave at trying stuff and making mistakes - Lemmy especially. Motörhead is dead, long live Motörhead.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 04:57:00 AM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/lemmy-rip.html

RIP
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 03:45:23 AM »

There's one little thing he even had in common with the BB and that's the early rock and roll connection. Afaik the man was heavily into Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis. I like Motörhead but I can only take 2 or 3 songs in a row and then I always want to hear something else. They have some individual songs that I'm really into, like Killed by Death, or their 90s song Broken. Never saw them live and now I kinda regret that (even though my ears probably don't). Always liked the Hawkwind album Warrior on the Edge of Time, which was the last one he was on I believe.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx