gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:48:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Single mixes, etc.  (Read 3044 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »

Hey there everybody, I know this is odd for a longtime fan such as myself, but I'm just realizing now that I might not necessarily have the true mono single versions of some of The Beach Boys hits of the '60s actually in my collection. I realized after reading something that reminded me that what is listed as the "single version" of "Little Saint Nick" on my copy of Ultimate Christmas is actually a stereo mix from 1998. So now I'm getting to work to try to figure out what else I'm missin'. So I guess I'm gonna ask a few questions and also hopefully have you guys and gals point me in the right direction.

Okay, so first I guess I'll go through a few that I know of, and where they can be found digitally.

"Little Saint Nick": this one is available on the 1991 version of Christmas Album right? Are there any newer reissues of it with the mono single mix? I do know that it is surely available on the U.S. Singles Collection.

"The Lord's Prayer": I only know of the mono single mix being available on the U.S. Singles Collection. Is this one available anywhere else?

"Caroline No": this is just the same cut as the album but without the dogs and trains right? And I'm pretty sure this is available on Made in U.S.A. and the Good Vibrations box set. Is it available anywhere else? There is a a version without the dogs and trains on Classics selected by Brian Wilson but I'm pretty sure that's in stereo, right? I don't feel like pulling that out at the moment. Anybody know?

"Do It Again": there's a mono mix without the workshop sounds right? And where's it available? Sounds of Summer, right?

Now besides these I'm not sure if there are any other single versions that are different from the album versions, besides "Be True to Your School" of course. Is this mono single mix of "Fun, Fun, Fun" different? Or "I Get Around"? This just isn't something I'd paid much attention to, and now I regret not because I'm all mixed up as far as this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:39:34 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 12:40:38 AM »

Past the 60s there are some great single mixes and lots of them are on the Brother Years comp (or Ten Years of Harmony IIRC).

Both It's OK and Rock and Roll Music sound fabulous as singles and Al's California Saga, while a bit gimmicky in its single version, has lots more Brian than the album version.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:03:13 AM »

"Little Saint Nick":

1993 box set for the single version. The mono album version I don't know where to find on CD.

"Do It Again:

"Made in USA"

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:42:38 AM »

On the WLP 45 "Add Some Music" is without strings und "Susie" has the car engine soundeffect right at the beginning

Watson, did you hear this?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »

The 45 mixes of California Girls and Don't Worry Baby on the Good Vibrations: Greatest Hits comps.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »

The 45 mixes of California Girls and Don't Worry Baby on the Good Vibrations: Greatest Hits comps.

They differ from the mono album versions?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »

They differ from the mono album versions?
Indeed, they do. Especially California Girls. Horns and background vocals are more out front, as well as the drums. On Don't Worry Baby, at the end of the first verse the background vocals come in differently, a little softer.

The 45 mix of Never Learn Not To Love is different too. Of course, it is in mono, but also has an abbreviated beginning and the vocals are bit more straightforward with not as much echo.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 12:50:47 PM »

There's some stuff that hasn't made it to CD ... Like the unique mono mix of "Add Some Music" (promo 45).

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »

That promo mix of Add Some Music to Your Day is awesome. Hopefully if Sunflower gets a deluxe treatment, it will be part of the reissue.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 04:10:28 PM »

On the WLP 45 "Add Some Music" is without strings und "Susie" has the car engine soundeffect right at the beginning

"WLP"? (Apologies if I'm missing the obvious!)

“We live in divisive times.”
GoinBald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

White Label Promo
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »

FUN FUN FUN -45 mix is on SOS.
DON'T WORRY BABY - 45 mix full version with long fade on Starbuck's SUMMER CRUSH.
CALIFORNIA GIRLS - 45 mix full version with long fade on  Reader's Digest GREATEST HITS.
DO IT AGAIN - 45 mix on SOS, GREATEST HITS Volume 1.

That's of the top of my head.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »

FUN FUN FUN -45 mix is on SOS.
DON'T WORRY BABY - 45 mix full version with long fade on Starbuck's SUMMER CRUSH.
CALIFORNIA GIRLS - 45 mix full version with long fade on  Reader's Digest GREATEST HITS.
DO IT AGAIN - 45 mix on SOS, GREATEST HITS Volume 1.

That's of the top of my head.

Is the original mono single mix of "Don't Worry Baby" available on Sounds of Summer? Or the U.S. Singles set? I know it's on The Greatest Hits - Volume 2, but I'm trying to limit the number of albums to buy if I can get all (or most) of the correct versions on one set.

And as far as "California Girls" is the long fade mono version available anywhere besides the Reader's Digest disc? Perhaps The Greatest Hits - Volume 1 or U.S. Singles?
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 05:58:41 AM »

Unfortunately the US Singles Collection has some wrong mixes. California Girls, Don't Worry Baby and Fun,Fun,Fun are all the LP versions except in Mono. The Mono Single Mix of Little Saint Nick is also on the US Singles Boxset as well as it's B-Side The Mono Single Only Mix of Lord's Prayer. When I Grow Up To Be a Man and She's Knows Me Too Well are also Single Mono Mixes comparing them to the Mono 2001 Today Mixes the clarity is brighter. The US Singles Boxset also has rejected Single Mixes for All Dressed Up For School, I'm So Young the Alternate Version both in Mono and an unused Single Edit for Why Do Fools Fall In Love. I suggest  checking out the box set for some cool mixes and extras such as the only official release of the  Do You Wanna Dance Backing Track.

The two Greatest Hits Good Vibrations comps from 2000 have the correct Single Mixes of Fun, Fun, Fun, Don't Worry Baby, California Girls and Do It Again.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »

The "long fade" version of Don't Worry Baby is worth tracking down.  Brian hits this gorgeous high note just as the song fades out. 

The original vinyl 45 is my preference for finding this version.   Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »

The two Greatest Hits Good Vibrations comps from 2000 have the correct Single Mixes of Fun, Fun, Fun, Don't Worry Baby, California Girls and Do It Again.
Not Fun, Fun, Fun. That is the mono LP mix on this particular compilation.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,