gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:18:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christmas | Time  (Read 2577 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/christmas-time

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »

Great song, sir. I do like that transition at about 2:08----wow!

Good to see you around again, cap'n.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 12:49:35 AM »

I don't mean to disparage the first half of the song at all cap'n, but those harmonies in the 2nd half are lovely.
Did you get any lyrical inspiration from "Alone on Christmas Day" or is it authentic sorrow?  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »

Thanks. But, so you like the end? My transitions to the silence that follows my songs are always quite popular!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:16:49 AM »

I don't mean to disparage the first half of the song at all cap'n, but those harmonies in the 2nd half are lovely.
Did you get any lyrical inspiration from "Alone on Christmas Day" or is it authentic sorrow?  Smiley

No disparagement taken, and thank you.

As for the question, neither. I don't think I ever listened to "Alone on Christmas Day"--wait, that's a lie, because didn't Bill Murray do it in the xmas special on Netflix? If so, I did listen, but I don't recall it.--but neither was I particularly sorrowful yesterday morning. I really just thought I ought to write a song yesterday morning and so I did. The facts are mostly straight, but the sorrow has more to do with the minor key and style than anything else (I think). When I started writing it, it was cold, gray, and silent. I did start writing just to pass time. Brandy occurred to me, but (it being 8:30) I held off on that. The second verse was just nonsense to make it a Christmas song. Buses as little drummers, car horns as jingle bells, and people gathering around a tree. The second half, which could have been attached to anything, seemed like a good idea so nobody took the first half too seriously.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »

Hey Luther,  Hope you are having a nice Holiday Season.  I think John meat 1:08, cause that second part/song (Time) really is one of your best this year.  The music and the vocals - outstanding!  You need to take that and write a song around it.  The first part is good, but it sounds more like you are just fooling around, making a song up on the spot.  Simple tune, simple lyrics.  The second part needs to get attached to something better.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:50:10 PM »

I think John meant 1:08, cause that second part/song (Time) really is one of your best this year.

Thanks for correcting me, Will. Indeed, 1:08. Wonderful stuff.

Thanks. But, so you like the end? My transitions to the silence that follows my songs are always quite popular!

I stopped just before the silence kicked in and spoiled the mood. Grin  

Haha, got my minutes mixed up (not for the first time either)...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:56:02 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Thanks. I knew--or assumed, anyway (optimistically)--that was what you meant.

Funny part is, I consider the second part wholly throwaway. The first part was recorded live in one take for piano and voice, but took much longer to think through. The second? That's the part I was just fooling around with. A simple tack-on that didn't take much longer to think of than it did to record. Part, part, part, part, done. But I'm glad it seems to have worked out.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx