-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:11:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  BEACHB-oysters' (sand-corny) POETRY PEARLS - YULEtide-edit...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BEACHB-oysters' (sand-corny) POETRY PEARLS - YULEtide-edit...  (Read 40159 times)
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:41 AM »

In all the years I've been a member here, I've never understood a single post from you.  Grin
>aha, AHA<...

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2016, 03:21:11 AM »

To mark our arrival in the Sandbox, here is a palindrome about that fine place----or rather about the place that inspired it.

A palindrome is a little world all to itself, with a beginning and an end and nothing either side. (It's interesting what Wikipedia has to say about its history.)

To give an idea of how these things work (at least in my case), for this one I took the words <sand>, <box>, <Weimaraner>, <piano> and <Louie> (Banana featured in an earlier palindrome; Louie was quite enough trouble to reverse!). Take <piano>, which reverses as <onaip>. This can best (or maybe only) be divided into <ona> and <ip>. Then <ona> becomes <Mona> and <ip> becomes <Ipanema>. The added "anema" conveniently reverses in its entirety as <Amen, a> but to accommodate the <M>of <Mona> after <piano> means adding <o> to make <MO>, the code for Missouri. That <O> is easily tacked on at the opposite end. So far, so good...

> O Mona, Ipanema's gargantuan "O" grades. U.S. idyll as sand in a box of tense Weimaraner nuts (ed.).  "Dog-nip?" "Si, Louie amigo dog. I'm a-e-i-u-o lisping." Oddest? "Un renar', ami." Ewes net fox (Oban). I'd nasally disused Argonaut nag-rags. Amen, a piano (MO) <
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:52:16 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2016, 01:21:14 AM »

To mark our arrival in the Sandbox, here is a palindrome about that fine place----or rather about the place that inspired it.

A palindrome is a little world all to itself, with a beginning and an end and nothing either side. (It's interesting what Wikipedia has to say about its history.)

To give an idea of how these things work (at least in my case), for this one I took the words <sand>, <box>, <Weimaraner>, <piano> and <Louie> (Banana featured in an earlier palindrome; Louie was quite enough trouble to reverse!). Take <piano>, which reverses as <onaip>. This can best (or maybe only) be divided into <ona> and <ip>. Then <ona> becomes <Mona> and <ip> becomes <Ipanema>. The added "anema" conveniently reverses in its entirety as <Amen, a> but to accommodate the <M>of <Mona> after <piano> means adding <o> to make <MO>, the code for Missouri. That <O> is easily tacked on at the opposite end. So far, so good...

> O Mona, Ipanema's gargantuan "O" grades. U.S. idyll as sand in a box of tense Weimaraner nuts (ed.).  "Dog-nip?" "Si, Louie amigo dog. I'm a-e-i-u-o lisping." Oddest? "Un renar', ami." Ewes net fox (Oban). I'd nasally disused Argonaut nag-rags. Amen, a piano (MO) <
Thanx, John. Most instructive & inspirational! My own take goes straight into the 'HAIKUDROME' and the 'original sandbox'

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2016, 06:02:45 AM »

And now a word of advice: know when to abandon a palindrome as a hopeless task. Foolishly, I set out to incorporate the innocent-looking words <Beautiful>, <Dreamer>, <Wake>, <Brian>, <Douglas> and <Wilson> in a palindrome. It took several nations (Ancient Rome, Italy, Greece, China, Japan, Finland and the US (Texas)) and real-life personalities (Toni Tennille, Li Wei, Ulysses Owens, Titus Aebutius, Dui Daiju and, obliquely, Paul Erdős) to get this sorry mess in place:

> Tennille/Brian won wad on Mykonos (Li Wei, Fuji). A Douglas rodeo wake: extrema Erdo sum (sui tu). "Beautiful" (U. Owens) new Oulu (FI). Tu, Aebutius, muso dreamer (TX). Eek! A woe dorsal. Guo Daiju: "Fie, Wilson!" O Kym, no dawn----own airbell in net <

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »

I'm so confused.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »

I'm so confused.

How do you think I feel? LOL

Actually, for the reader it's quite simple. The thing should read the same from right to left as it does from left to right. (Or rather the letters should, otherwise you wouldn't get further than "Dennis sinned" or "Able was I ere I saw Elba".) That's all the reader needs to know----not that that makes it any easier to construct...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:28:45 PM by john k » Logged

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:17 AM »

Between the 50'ish Beach Boys-related palindromes made so far, not a single one has the actual "America's Band" name spelled out!? Well, I know there's an answer :D (and this one mentions BRI and a Great Danish storyteller!:

>and B.B.' dna:<                          {a BEACH BOYS' haiku-drome by SMiLErPal'dromerBoy}

->A SURE dna?

BEACH BOYS' ? Yo!  B** = H.C.A.!
         ^
       E-Band =  er....  U*S*A<-

Beach Boys signed with the 3 big record corporations back then: CAPITOL/E.M.I., WARNER Bros (Reprise) & COLUMBIA (CBS/Caribou). But the members soon enough found, they've gotten themselves into RAW deals - while the rec. execs found the BB members to be a RAW LOT! [Mini-RENga by SMiLErPal'dromerBoy:]

->O.k.: CAPITOL,

WARNER, (o' COL.) ? Loco!! [ren**]

Raw lot, I pack - O'!<-

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2016, 04:40:15 AM »

And now a word of advice: know when to abandon a palindrome as a hopeless task. Foolishly, I set out to incorporate the innocent-looking words <Beautiful>, <Dreamer>, <Wake>, <Brian>, <Douglas> and <Wilson> in a palindrome. It took several nations (Ancient Rome, Italy, Greece, China, Japan, Finland and the US (Texas)) and real-life personalities (Toni Tennille, Li Wei, Ulysses Owens, Titus Aebutius, Dui Daiju and, obliquely, Paul Erdős) to get this sorry mess in place:

> Tennille/Brian won wad on Mykonos (Li Wei, Fuji). A Douglas rodeo wake: extrema Erdo sum (sui tu). "Beautiful" (U. Owens) new Oulu (FI). Tu, Aebutius, muso dreamer (TX). Eek! A woe dorsal. Guo Daiju: "Fie, Wilson!" O Kym, no dawn----own airbell in net <

John, I see you've got the FI and the FIE but what of the FO? (allegedly, Beanstalk is Brian's fave fairytale!). Now, I'M FUMbling ...

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2016, 04:48:47 AM »

John, I see you've got the FI and the FIE but what of the FO? (allegedly, Beanstalk is Brian's fave fairytale!). Now, I'M FUMbling ...

There's a "foe" in a previous BB palindrome of mine but no "fum". But you've just taken care of that, so that's okay.

That mini-renga of yours is nothing but the truth----a "raw lot" indeed. Grin   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2016, 04:21:17 AM »

And now the Touring Band (and a whole host of hapless hangers-on) gets saddled with yet another wacky john k palindrome:

> 'Tis Ike (BMW) as star Tim Le Bonhomme, normal gnus. I, Mike, curb fff  (E. James) or lemonade serac. O Gaël, retrace. I draw Derek/Cowsill at Totten event (no merfolk). Lo! Fremont (NE) Venet to T. Tallis, W. Ocker, Edward I, E. Carter, Leago (CA Reseda... no! Melrose MA), Jeff F., Bruce, Kim I. Sung (LA, Mr. one mm). Oh noble M.I.T.! Rats saw Mbeki sit <
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:11:39 PM by john k » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: