gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:49:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Youtube Beach Boys album reviews  (Read 2437 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »

Some of you read my reviews on Facebook. I noticed that youtube doesn't really have anyone who goes through every album. I have never posted my own videos but think I might like to do it. My question is, what are the rules in terms of playing their music or using their name on youtube titles? Do I have to get permision or a special licence?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »

This is also something I've wanted to do for a while (not just for the Beach Boys, but for all sorts of albums). I'm not sure what the rules are, but they're probably stacked against you. You might end up with ads or stuff. But I'd love to watch someone going through every album, so definitely do it--I'll watch them!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

This is also something I've wanted to do for a while (not just for the Beach Boys, but for all sorts of albums). I'm not sure what the rules are, but they're probably stacked against you. You might end up with ads or stuff. But I'd love to watch someone going through every album, so definitely do it--I'll watch them!

Thanks a bunch. It sounds like a fun project. I see people doing stuff like this all the time. I know some will say they don't have the rights but for educational purposes only. I am not doing this for money. I know some people that get a lot of hits have ads and get paid something which I'm sure it could become more complicated in those cases. I recall making remixes of some Beach Boys songs and posting them on myspace awhile back and they got removed. While I have seen other fan remixes posted online that don't get removed. So maybe they took legal steps or permission that I am not aware of. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »

Critique or reviews should be okay under fair use.

https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »

I've been uploading my Beach Boys related interviews/reviews for years on YT and have never encountered any problems with the music clips I use. Granted, I'm only using the openings and tails of songs because these are edited from radio broadcasts, so we're really only hearing about 5 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA132AA9FFCF9DE8B

It should be mentioned that Justin Plank's YT channel also features a ton of great reviews of Beach Boys albums/comps.etc.

I've had issues with other non-Beach Boys music clips getting tagged for copyright infringement (and some were indeed as little as 5 seconds long). Usually you get a video tagged for "third party content" and all that means is an advertisement will run before your video to generate income for whoever owns the copyright on the song. Whatever software YT uses to identify clips can be quite screwy. I have audio from a 60's movie trailer in a video and YT flagged it as being a song from a 90's band, hence that band now have a little link to buy their music (which isn't in the video at all) underneath my video. I could fight it, I suppose, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »

Thanks for the shout out Ghostly! I haven't had much of a format as far as reviewing album by album. I've just done a lot of specific albums, collections, and random merchandise I've purchased or have been given. I've had some music on in the background and they've flagged me for copyrights, just can't profit off those videos, even though I doubt you're up for that. 😉

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx