gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:47:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's birthday message to Carl  (Read 5866 times)
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »

It's from his FB page. I thought it was nice of him...

As I travel home to my family from Germany, I am flooded by memories of my first cousin, Carl today on his birthday. Carl, you are missed every night we take the stage. Although others are singing your parts, it's your voice I hear in my head and heart. You are so profoundly missed. We are grateful for the gift of voice, love, optimism, and rhythm you have given us all.
"God only knows where we'd be without you" I feel closer to you every night we back your lead on this song. I remember that show like yesterday and still standing beside you!

Happy celestial birthday Carl.

From 40,000 ft.
Peace & Love
ML

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

This is nice - I believe this is from the heart; but being Mike, it will start a flame war.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »

It's from his FB page. I thought it was nice of him...

As I travel home to my family from Germany, I am flooded by memories of my first cousin, Carl today on his birthday. Carl, you are missed every night we take the stage. Although others are singing your parts, it's your voice I hear in my head and heart. You are so profoundly missed. We are grateful for the gift of voice, love, optimism, and rhythm you have given us all.
"God only knows where we'd be without you" I feel closer to you every night we back your lead on this song. I remember that show like yesterday and still standing beside you!

Happy celestial birthday Carl.

From 40,000 ft.
Peace & Love
ML

Mike always sounds sincere when he introduces GOK as a tribute to Carl. 

I thought this was a nice tribute from Mike. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »

You can say what you want Mike and there is plenty to say, he always had a deep respect for Carl and gratitude toward him.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:31:09 PM »

You can say what you want Mike and there is plenty to say, he always had a deep respect for Carl and gratitude toward him.

I share Mike's sentiment in raising a toast to the late, great Carl.

I do believe that Mike had/has a deep respect for Carl and gratitude toward Carl, and I don't doubt his sincerity about that one bit. I do however think that if Mike searched his own heart, truly, he'd be in denial by thinking that Carl would have approved of Mike touring as The BBs under the current circumstances of Brian and Al being excluded against their deep wishes.  Though I won't hold my breath, I still hope that very thought crosses Mike's mind sometime soon while all the living members are still with us. If all the BB members, especially Mike, tried to live more by the Carl "appropriateness" code, I think things would be quite different (better) these days.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:36:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 06:26:19 PM »

What a lovely post by Mike. Truly kind and loving.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

Very sweet. So was Brian's:

"Happy Birthday to my dear brother Carl. Carl inspired my music and I think about him all the time. Happy Birthday, Carl.
– Love, Brian"

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:46:17 AM »

I do believe that Mike had/has a deep respect for Carl and gratitude toward Carl, and I don't doubt his sincerity about that one bit. I do however think that if Mike searched his own heart, truly, he'd be in denial by thinking that Carl would have approved of Mike touring as The BBs under the current circumstances of Brian and Al being excluded against their deep wishes.  Though I won't hold my breath, I still hope that very thought crosses Mike's mind sometime soon while all the living members are still with us. If all the BB members, especially Mike, tried to live more by the Carl "appropriateness" code, I think things would be quite different (better) these days.

Carl was in the band in the early 90s, when both Brian and Al were excluded against their will. We can't actually know what he'd think of the current situation, and I don't like the idea of people's dead relatives being used as moral cudgels to beat them with.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »

I do believe that Mike had/has a deep respect for Carl and gratitude toward Carl, and I don't doubt his sincerity about that one bit. I do however think that if Mike searched his own heart, truly, he'd be in denial by thinking that Carl would have approved of Mike touring as The BBs under the current circumstances of Brian and Al being excluded against their deep wishes.  Though I won't hold my breath, I still hope that very thought crosses Mike's mind sometime soon while all the living members are still with us. If all the BB members, especially Mike, tried to live more by the Carl "appropriateness" code, I think things would be quite different (better) these days.

Carl was in the band in the early 90s, when both Brian and Al were excluded against their will. We can't actually know what he'd think of the current situation, and I don't like the idea of people's dead relatives being used as moral cudgels to beat them with.
Well said, Andrew. You just knew someone had to do it in here, even if in a backhanded way. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »

A great tribute from Mike.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »

I recall reading an interview with Carl from the early 90's in which he stated the following:

1 - He would prefer a model where they tour every few years (like the Stones and McCartney) instead of the constant touring.

2 - He could see a time when he would retire from the road.

3 - He could not see a time when Mike would retire from the road.

One of the unexplored areas of Beach Boy history is the Carl/Mike dynamic - there certainly wasn't the drama that infused Mike's relationships with Dennis and Brian.

Carl seemed to have a lot of friends within the musical industry.  WAs he the most popular Beach Boy among other musicians?

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »

Probably Carl or Al. Not surprising, though; they always struck me as the easiest of the members to get along with.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

I recall reading an interview with Carl from the early 90's in which he stated the following:

1 - He would prefer a model where they tour every few years (like the Stones and McCartney) instead of the constant touring.

2 - He could see a time when he would retire from the road.

3 - He could not see a time when Mike would retire from the road.

One of the unexplored areas of Beach Boy history is the Carl/Mike dynamic - there certainly wasn't the drama that infused Mike's relationships with Dennis and Brian.

Carl seemed to have a lot of friends within the musical industry.  WAs he the most popular Beach Boy among other musicians?

maybe this one?       http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15607.msg369050.html#msg369050

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »

I agree, very sweet post. I do believe its from the heart too

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »

Al was still a Beach Boy in the 90's, up till Carl's death. Brian, I would guess, didn't want to be in the group -or Landy didn't want him in the group. They could hardly expect the welcome mat to be put out for them after that autobio.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 10:39:29 PM »

Brian wasn't trying to be a regular member of the band in the early 90s, as far as I know. And Al was only temporarily, briefly sidelined during Carl's lifetime. Almost certainly that was *only* a temporary thing BECAUSE Carl was around to make sure Al wasn't permanently removed.

As most everyone (and it really seems that most everyone who was personally close Carl, including band mates, is consistent about this) mentions Carl as having been a moral, ethical compass for the band, I find it hard to believe that his influence (a sort of "what would Carl do") isn't something that crosses the BBs' minds. How much so, of course, is a big question. Carl himself said something to the effect during the press conference after Denny died, mentioning they'd continue "in the spirit of the BBs" (I'm paraphrasing) - that tells me Carl felt there was a code of conduct, so to speak, for band unity.

Carl looked like he deeply meant it when he said it. That's why I doubt he'd think the current situation is hunky dory, and I highly doubt Brian and Al would ever believe Carl would have considered the current situation hunky dory either. Just IMHO.

Not trying to derail a thread, just sharing a thought that came to mind. I truly wish for peace and happiness to all bandmembers, and I (perhaps foolishly) cling to the notion that the spirit of Carl might one day enlighten the bandmembers to repair the fracture that the band currently has.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:16:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »

Mike evoked the spirit of Carl very nicely this Christmas.

Edit: After hearing Carl's voice at the end of Love Actually I'm removing a satiric blurb in the spirit of Carl and the Spirit of Christmas. Apologies to those who read it.

Merry Christmas everybody!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:24:53 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »

I doubt there's a Beach Boys fan out there who doesn't still miss Carl.  I would have enjoyed the Boys' music even if there had never been a Carl Wilson. But, for me, at least, he's the one who made it special.

Mike's Facebook post was also special, and, yes, I too believe it came from his heart.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 03:42:49 AM »

Carl looked like he deeply meant it when he said it. That's why I doubt he'd think the current situation is hunky dory, and I highly doubt Brian and Al would ever believe Carl would have considered the current situation hunky dory either. Just IMHO.

Not trying to derail a thread, just sharing a thought that came to mind. I truly wish for peace and happiness to all bandmembers, and I (perhaps foolishly) cling to the notion that the spirit of Carl might one day enlighten the bandmembers to repair the fracture that the band currently has.

To assume that is to assume that either you know better than Carl's wife and children what he would have wanted, or that they don't care what he would want. They've voted for the current situation. I prefer to think better of them than that.

(Personally I think Al *should* be in the band if he wants to be. But that's my opinion, not anyone else's)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »

I always wondered why Al and Carl went along with the elimination of the great backing band members, like Billy Hinsche and Eddie Carter in the md 90's. They seemed pretty tight with them both....Al still is to this day as both are in his band. Maybe they both just let Mike have his way and gave up by then.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »

I always wondered why Al and Carl went along with the elimination of the great backing band members, like Billy Hinsche and Eddie Carter in the md 90's. They seemed pretty tight with them both....Al still is to this day as both are in his band. Maybe they both just let Mike have his way and gave up by then.

Yeah, the personnel decisions made around 1996 are utterly baffling both in terms of personal relations (Billy at least seems to remain close to both Al and Brian, and I think he's sat in with Mike once or twice too) and musical quality (the late-90s lineup of the band was atrocious, and Billy and Ed are both very good musicians). Whatever the reasoning, I don't understand it at all.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 06:24:16 AM »

Tony S, even though I quoted your post, my response isn't necessarily directed at you.

Yes, Carl was "pretty tight" with Billy Hinsche. They were brother-in-laws. It's not just an opinion but a fact that Carl was pretty much the leader of the live band. So, why would Carl and Al "let Mike have his way"? What way? Wasn't it Carl who "had his way"? Also, I wonder how Brian Wilson voted? Does he share any - ANY - responsibility? I guess that was a stupid question...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »

Tony S, even though I quoted your post, my response isn't necessarily directed at you.

Yes, Carl was "pretty tight" with Billy Hinsche. They were brother-in-laws. It's not just an opinion but a fact that Carl was pretty much the leader of the live band. So, why would Carl and Al "let Mike have his way"? What way? Wasn't it Carl who "had his way"? Also, I wonder how Brian Wilson voted? Does he share any - ANY - responsibility? I guess that was a stupid question...

I *believe*, though it's been a while since I read it, that Carlin's Catch A Wave talks about Mike reorganising the touring band around then as part of his "Beach Boys lite" plan (the same plan that involved replacing Al with David Marks). If that's the case, then saying they "let Mike have his way" is probably accurate. Not that they didn't agree to it, but that it was initiated by Mike.

(If I'm misremembering, I apologise -- I'm currently 6000 miles away from my copy, so can't check).

The question about Brian's an interesting one -- I do wonder what, if any, say he had in the membership of the touring band during the years he wasn't touring...

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »

Al was sidelined in the early 90's due to an "attitude" problem. Dr. Howard Bloomfield was called in to mediate between the members of the group (yes, group therapy). Issues were worked out and Al rejoined in time to add his vocals to SIP.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 07:45:27 AM »

The 90's was a pretty interesting time from the standpoint of politics within the band. I'd love to know more about that time, maybe the best people to ask would be Billy Hinsche and Eddie Carter.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx