gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:04:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Johnson  (Read 11098 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »

Saw this on youtube:

Robert Johnson - Cant You Hear The Wind Howl -The Life and Music of Robert Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjI2iaT7T8

An in-depth, award-winning documentary on the life and music of legendary bluesman ROBERT JOHNSON. Mixing rare photographs, exclusive interviews, and dramatic re-creations, director PETER MEYER presents a compelling portrait of this enigmatic figure. Hosted by Danny Glover with Keb' Mo' as Robert Johnson, featuring Johnny Shines, Honeyboy Edwards, John Hammond, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 03:03:37 AM »

Exclusive First Look at New Photograph of Blues Legend Robert Johnson

Even if he didn’t sell his soul at the Crossroads, the massively influential Mississippi guitarist remains shrouded in mystery. An upcoming memoir from his 94-year-old stepsister brings new depth to Johnson’s mythos—and the third verified picture of him in existence.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/05/exclusive-first-look-at-new-photograph-of-blues-legend-robert-johnson?fbclid=IwAR0290sKjMqCShwc3_2BHE1DPO9gxRbTN3wDokjpoJHGffkuFQ_zPDQr7RQ

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 03:00:17 AM »

'Brother Robert' Reveals True Story Of Growing Up With Blues Legend Robert Johnson

Blues legend Robert Johnson has been mythologized as a backwoods loner, his talent the result of selling his soul to the devil. Wrong and wrong again, according to Johnson's younger stepsister, who lives in Amherst, Mass. She tells his true story in Brother Robert: Growing Up with Robert Johnson, a memoir about growing up with her brother she published in June.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/29/950794131/brother-robert-reveals-true-story-of-growing-up-with-blues-legend-robert-johnson?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1Vc8u9-voE2TzBA7wOY9PLtvG4misV5FhdBT_26dsKpM46gKLU8pcmnWA

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2021, 01:39:01 PM »

'Brother Robert' Reveals True Story Of Growing Up With Blues Legend Robert Johnson

Blues legend Robert Johnson has been mythologized as a backwoods loner, his talent the result of selling his soul to the devil. Wrong and wrong again, according to Johnson's younger stepsister, who lives in Amherst, Mass. She tells his true story in Brother Robert: Growing Up with Robert Johnson, a memoir about growing up with her brother she published in June.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/29/950794131/brother-robert-reveals-true-story-of-growing-up-with-blues-legend-robert-johnson?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1Vc8u9-voE2TzBA7wOY9PLtvG4misV5FhdBT_26dsKpM46gKLU8pcmnWA

Just received got book this book in the mail a few days ago. Been a great read thus far.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 03:33:19 AM »

Just received got book this book in the mail a few days ago. Been a great read thus far.

That's cool! I don't have the book but time and time again in the last months I wondered what the book says about Johnson. I mean he basically is more myth than person and it's interesting to get to know the real person.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2023, 01:14:21 PM »

Smithsonian Announces New Releases Drawn From Legendary Mack McCormick Collection
Releases Include Book “Biography of a Phantom,” Box Set “Playing for the Man at the Door: Field Recordings from the Collection of Mack McCormick, 1958 – 1971” and Display at National Museum of American History

When blues master Johnson’s little-known recordings were rereleased to great fanfare in the 1960s, little was known about his life, giving rise to the legend that he gained success by selling his soul to the devil. On April 4, Smithsonian Books will publish Biography of a Phantom: A Robert Johnson Blues Odyssey, McCormick’s all-consuming search, from the late 1960s until his death in 2015, to uncover Johnson’s life story. McCormick spent decades reconstructing Johnson’s mysterious life and developing theories about his untimely death at the age of 27, but never made his discoveries public. Smithsonian Books will publish this compelling work, Biography of a Phantom, for the first time, including 40 unseen black-and-white photographs documenting McCormick’s search. More information and how to preorder the book are available.

Source: https://www.si.edu/newsdesk/releases/smithsonian-announces-new-releases-drawn-legendary-mack-mccormick-collection

New Robert Johnson biography to feature unreleased photos and new life insights, Smithsonian announces
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - New details will be revealed about the life and circumstances of one of the most mysterious figures in American music next month, according to an announcement made by the Smithsonian Institute last week.

A new biography of Johnson entitled “Biography of a Phantom” was left unfinished by folklorist Mack McCormick, who died in 2015. Now, the book is set to be released on April 4 by Smithsonian Books. The biography is expected to fill much-discussed gaps left open by a lack of record-keeping during the blues guitarist’s life. Johnson died a mysterious death at age 27 in 1938 after a performance in the Mississippi Delta.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/new-robert-johnson-biography-to-feature-unreleased-photos-and-new-life-insights-smithsonian-announces/ar-AA185Rd9 

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2023, 01:06:23 PM »

I've read "Biography of a phantom" and it's a very entertaining book. The term "dedective story" that is commonlyused to describe it fits perfectly. I wouldn't mind more stories like this.
The book also talks about McCormick's life and questionable (to say the least) behavior toward Robert Johnson's family. This seems to be neccessary as it explains a.o. why certain parts of the original manuscript were edited.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2023, 08:22:03 AM »

Rocker, I haven't read the book yet and could probably search for the answers, but I wanted to ask you since you've read the book. The last time I did any serious study of Johnson was in the 90's and actually wrote a paper about him, and at that time there were only that small handful of photos of the man himself. Have there been any new discoveries of him that are reprinted or mentioned in this new book? I always found it odd that for an artist who was pretty well known in his genre and in his regional areas where he traveled that there were not more photos of him.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2023, 10:15:44 AM »

Rocker, I haven't read the book yet and could probably search for the answers, but I wanted to ask you since you've read the book. The last time I did any serious study of Johnson was in the 90's and actually wrote a paper about him, and at that time there were only that small handful of photos of the man himself. Have there been any new discoveries of him that are reprinted or mentioned in this new book? I always found it odd that for an artist who was pretty well known in his genre and in his regional areas where he traveled that there were not more photos of him.

Well, currently there are three known photos of him. The most recently released one is on/in the book of his step sister. "Biography of a phantom" doesn't feature any picture at all of him as it was written in the late 60s/early 70s and the first picture got released in the 80s. McCormick probably got his hands on one or two during the mid-70s. In fact one still unpublished one was found in his archive after his death. He got it from Johnson's family but refused to return it, even claiming he lost it - as the epilogue makes clear it was found in a folder with "Robert Johnson picture" on it, so go figure...

I would argue though that having three - maybe four - photos is more than we could ask for. During his lifetime he certainly wasn't a star. He had a record out that sold relatively nicely ("Terraplane Bllues") but the following records sold less. I also don't think that cameras were as common and affordable as today. Charley Patton was a much bigger star and had a longer life and we only got one confirmed picture of him. Johnson' star only began to shine after the 1961 release of "King of the Delta Blues".

Speaking of the recordings, take a listen to this:

Robert Johnson Mint Test Pressings - XR Remastered For Outstanding Sound Quality

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pabl010

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2023, 08:06:08 AM »

Well, currently there are three known photos of him. The most recently released one is on/in the book of his step sister. "Biography of a phantom" doesn't feature any picture at all of him as it was written in the late 60s/early 70s and the first picture got released in the 80s. McCormick probably got his hands on one or two during the mid-70s. In fact one still unpublished one was found in his archive after his death. He got it from Johnson's family but refused to return it, even claiming he lost it - as the epilogue makes clear it was found in a folder with "Robert Johnson picture" on it, so go figure...

I would argue though that having three - maybe four - photos is more than we could ask for. During his lifetime he certainly wasn't a star. He had a record out that sold relatively nicely ("Terraplane Bllues") but the following records sold less. I also don't think that cameras were as common and affordable as today. Charley Patton was a much bigger star and had a longer life and we only got one confirmed picture of him. Johnson' star only began to shine after the 1961 release of "King of the Delta Blues".

Speaking of the recordings, take a listen to this:

Robert Johnson Mint Test Pressings - XR Remastered For Outstanding Sound Quality

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pabl010

Thank you for clearing that up, yes the last I had looked into it there were 3 photos, the two that everyone pretty much had seen and another which if I remember some were still debating if it was Johnson or not. I didn't know about the 4th photo, hopefully that will be made public too.

That audio is stunning. The clarity and definition on Johnson's guitar is amazing, and you can actually hear the inflections in his voice too. The EQ is damn near perfect, whoever did it or however it was done, or even more amazing if it were a flat transfer with no EQ. That's probably one of the clearest examples of Johnson recording in the corner of a hotel room with one microphone and a portable disc cutter. Taking that into consideration, it makes the quality of the recording even more amazing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2023, 10:57:29 AM »

The "newest" picture is this:

Every few years a picture comes up and people are wondering if it is Johnson. It seems like everytime a black male with a guitar is shown it's enough for some to claim it is him. In most cases those photographs are easily discredited. I don't think that currently there is another serious contender.

That audio is stunning. The clarity and definition on Johnson's guitar is amazing, and you can actually hear the inflections in his voice too. The EQ is damn near perfect, whoever did it or however it was done, or even more amazing if it were a flat transfer with no EQ. That's probably one of the clearest examples of Johnson recording in the corner of a hotel room with one microphone and a portable disc cutter. Taking that into consideration, it makes the quality of the recording even more amazing.

Amazing, isn't it? Such luck that these test pressings survived. The remastering was done by one Andrew Rose of "Pristine Classical". As the name suggests they usually concentrate on classical music. For more information you have to click through the website as all I just wrote comes from there.
They have other Johnson releases (two sound clips, "Ramblin' on my mind" and "From Four until late") that were remastered. But I don't think they had the test pressings for those CDs.
https://www.pristineclassical.com/collections/artist-robert-johnson
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 10:22:50 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx