gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:58:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Johnson  (Read 11178 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2015, 05:49:43 AM »

I noticed we didn't have a thread for legendary bluesman Robert Johnson (*1911, †1938) yet.. Brow The occasion for opening one is the following:

http://m.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/music/article/New-photo-of-bluesman-Robert-Johnson-unearthed-6703035.php

A new image of Johnson might have been discovered. So far there have only been two authentic photographs of him.

Any fans of the "Crossroad Blues" (and the rest of the recorded Johnson catalogue) here? What do you think about the 'new' photo? Is it him? I'm not sure it looks like him, to be honest. It's up to the analysts and fanatics now..
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:53:24 AM »

Johnson and his catalogue are utterly legendary. Always welcome a new photo unearthing; not exactly something that happens every day.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:25:36 AM »

As far as favourite RJ tracks go..

• I'm a Steady Rollin' Man
  • Crossroad Blues
  • Sweet Home Chicago
  • Terraplane Blues
  • Love in Vain
  • Kindhearted Woman Blues

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:11:07 AM »

Love RoJo. To add to your list Lowbacca, I would include Rambling on my Mind as a favourite.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »

Yeah, I'd read about the new picture on his Facebook-site yesterday. A couple of years there was another one of him, but that probably wasn't him.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »

Mrs. Robert Johnson does not look happy.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 03:30:34 AM »

This is the other picture that recently (2011 iirc) came to light. Some people claim it's Johnson but others are very doubtful about it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 05:19:35 AM »

I remember when one of the box sets was issued (in the 1990s) the record company got phonecalls from reviewers asking if Mr Johnson was available for interviews. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »

Person who "authenticated" this photo also did the same for the 2008 image, which is widely agreed not to be Johnson.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »

This is the other picture that recently (2011 iirc) came to light. Some people claim it's Johnson but others are very doubtful about it.

Note, the guy on the right has his wristwatch on his right wrist, indicating that the image has been reversed... which would make "Robert"left-handed. which he wasn't. There don't appear to be any strings on his guitar, either.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »

I'd be curious to see the evidence for identifying the other 3 in the picture. If that evidence is strong, I'd think it would be good support for this being RJ, as it does look quite a bit like him. The ears seem a bit big and don't seem to stick out as much and the eyes seem more symmetrical; and while this guy also seems to have a cloudy eye, it appears to be the wrong one. But it would be unlikely for someone who looks so much alike to be photographed with people of his circle. Unless it's a family member, I suppose. He had many half-siblings.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:46:20 PM by Emily » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 04:34:53 AM »

Note, the guy on the right has his wristwatch on his right wrist, indicating that the image has been reversed... which would make "Robert"left-handed. which he wasn't. There don't appear to be any strings on his guitar, either.

That is one of the arguments that people who don't agree with this being Robert Johnson mention. Apart from that, imo this picture just doesn't look anything like Johnson as we know him from the two authentic pictures.

Anyway, here's some more about the "new" one:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/is-this-the-face-of-robert-johnson

And a video of Robert Lockwood playing a song allegedly written but not recorded by Johnson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0JMmr00G3Q

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »

[...]

And a video of Robert Lockwood playing a song allegedly written but not recorded by Johnson:

Thanks for that, Rocker!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:51:43 AM »

[...]

Did you hear the two Robert Johnson albums by Eric Clapton? They are really, really good. "Me and Mr. Johnson" and "Sessions for Robert J.", the latter comes with a DVD

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 04:32:30 AM »

[...]

Did you hear the two Robert Johnson albums by Eric Clapton? They are really, really good. "Me and Mr. Johnson" and "Sessions for Robert J.", the latter comes with a DVD

I believe I once had the first one but never heard of the second. Will check it out, thanks!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »

Another Robert Johnson Photo Debunked

By Frank Matheis and Dr. Bruce Conforth

It seems like they want to make any black guy in a hat out to be Robert Johnson!

http://www.thecountryblues.com/op-ed/another-robert-johnson-photo-debunked/

- Jack Rieley
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »

It seems like they want to make any black guy in a hat out to be Robert Johnson!

Interesting, thanks. So all 4 subjects were identified based on a sketchy Lockwood similarity.
Elijah Wald, noted author and musician, simply said, “The attempt to associate random photos of black men with the only black man some people seem to care about is horseshit, and depressing horseshit at that,” perhaps the most blunt and truthful assessment.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »

Great write-up, thanks for that!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 02:34:25 AM »

Formal Response of the Robert Johnson Estate to the ‘Report’ Regarding the Legitimacy of the Third Photograph

http://www.robertjohnsonbluesfoundation.org/news/formal-response-of-the-robert-johnson-estate-to-the-report-regarding-the-legitimacy-of-the-third-photograph/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 03:17:08 AM »

ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads

https://www.netflix.com/de/title/80191049?trkid=0&fbclid=IwAR3rSNrsrW3cohb7aLg8VjAJnGomTdlzGNLeH5okcsJVUn-TFWso63gC9W4&s=i

Netflix Animates Robert Johnson’s Sinister Origin Story in New Doc Trailer
‘ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads’ examines legendary blues guitarist’s mysterious life and death

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/remastered-devil-at-the-crossroads-netflix-robert-johnson-trailer-823078/

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 04:28:30 AM »

https://www.netflix.com/de/title/80191049?trkid=0&fbclid=IwAR3rSNrsrW3cohb7aLg8VjAJnGomTdlzGNLeH5okcsJVUn-TFWso63gC9W4&s=i

‘ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads’ examines legendary blues guitarist’s mysterious life and death

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/remastered-devil-at-the-crossroads-netflix-robert-johnson-trailer-823078/

Wow--cool trailer there, Rocker. Thanks for the heads up. Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »

Wow--cool trailer there, Rocker. Thanks for the heads up. Smiley

You're welcome. If I understand it correctly, it already aired on the 26th. So maybe you can view it on netflix now.

- Jack Rieley
SBonilla
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »

Yea, but BOLDEN. He's responsible for way more than Robert Johnson. That's the movie! I hope it's good, cuz I don't watch movies, but I'm gonna watch that one.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:08 AM »

Yea, but BOLDEN. He's responsible for way more than Robert Johnson. That's the movie! I hope it's good, cuz I don't watch movies, but I'm gonna watch that one.

ditto this sentiment.  Afro
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »

Yes, Devil at the Crossroads is on Netflix now.
Also I too hope the Bolden movie does him justice .

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx