gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:25:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner removed from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board  (Read 786 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2023, 01:58:58 AM »

Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner removed from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame board

Wenner’s removal came after an interview with the New York Times in which he made comments that were seen as denigrating to Black and female musicians

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/17/rolling-stone-founder-jann-wenner-removed-from-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-board

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 07:32:15 AM »

His comments illustrate why many people were always suspicious of the Hall and the whole idea of a Hall of Fame. A Hall of Fame for baseball makes sense because it is about statistics that people can’t really disagree on…You hit 400 home runs and you deserve to be in. But music is subjective…some artists are considered great that never sold large numbers of records and some
Artists that sold huge numbers of records are considered to be crap/schlock. So who gets in/out seemed over time to become wrapped up too much in the subjective opinion of people like Wenner. Luckily the BBs couldn’t be denied because he was never their biggest fan was a proponent of the dead and the San Francisco scene that I don’t think has aged well…To me the Hall has become a joke…people now seem to get in because of popularity more than taste/artistry.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 08:18:33 AM »

I find the whole thing comical but won't go into the reasons why. I also think uncovering and reposting a letter written in 1970 in order to further pile on Wenner is ridiculous, but that's the culture today I suppose. Find any grenades to lob at a target is the order of the day, even ones three generations removed from the actual issue at hand.

I like the idea of having a Hall Of Fame as a museum where fans can view artifacts and learn about the history behind the music and the musicians is and always was a good thing. The flaw in the operation is the voting and enshrining musicians into such a hall, following the example of the baseball, football, etc sports halls of fame. When obvious biases entered into the process of "voting", it exposed the flaw. As did the natural progression of the music media trying to categorize everything into a genre or sub-genre which eventually made even the term rock and roll antiquated.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx