-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Melissa Harris-Perry: Star Wars is "racist because Darth Vader is black"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Melissa Harris-Perry: Star Wars is "racist because Darth Vader is black"  (Read 35133 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

Those signature filmmakers are cut from the same Cloth as the abortion video hoaxers. It's an agenda to bring to life their imaged enemies in the flesh.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »

Those signature filmmakers are cut from the same Cloth as the abortion video hoaxers. It's an agenda to bring to life their imaged enemies in the flesh.
He gave them an IQ test. 

They are morons. They signed on at about one minute.  It is the second amendment in contention. 

They don't seem to know Number One from Number Two. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »

The target is not gender-specific but the source and meaning are, which is the point.
So, maybe she impressed that poster as acting like a bee-och.  

Women don't have the market behavior-cornered.

This is the sandbox.   Wink
I have no problem with people having a problem with Melissa Harris-Perry or with what she said or with her behavior. I have a problem with people using a misogynist term.

Eta: and, the sandbox thing, I never said he can't use the term; I never complained to a mod about his using the term. I didn't even ask that he not use the term.
Emily - for all the insults and invective that is hurled on this site, that is a relatively tame term and it is an opinion as against a public figure. 

There has to be some reasonable standard.  Yale students have a petition to ban the First Amendment.  Things are getting a little too "sensitive" and it is less a mysogynist term which relates specifically to women than in earlier decades.   Haven't you heard the term "make him my bee-och" and it is used in a gender-neutral context?  It has lost the gender-specific connotation.

Language evolves as well as context and that is a word that has evolved from the connotation of the "female dog" that was gender-specific to a term that is more generic.   

This is a generally an uncensored board.   Wink
I
Again, I didn't ask for censorship.
Do you understand that when people refer to men in the context you cite in your post that the insult is that the man in question is being likened to a female in a submissive role? That's probably the most misogynistic context for the word.
Do you think the n word or the f word for gay people are ok "in context?"
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »

The target is not gender-specific but the source and meaning are, which is the point.

I have no problem with people having a problem with Melissa Harris-Perry or with what she said or with her behavior. I have a problem with people using a misogynist term.

Eta: and, the sandbox thing, I never said he can't use the term; I never complained to a mod about his using the term. I didn't even ask that he not use the term.
Emily - for all the insults and invective that is hurled on this site, that is a relatively tame term and it is an opinion as against a public figure.  

There has to be some reasonable standard.  Yale students have a petition to ban the First Amendment.  Things are getting a little too "sensitive" and it is less a mysogynist term which relates specifically to women than in earlier decades.   Haven't you heard the term "make him my bee-och" and it is used in a gender-neutral context?  It has lost the gender-specific connotation.

Language evolves as well as context and that is a word that has evolved from the connotation of the "female dog" that was gender-specific to a term that is more generic.    

This is a generally an uncensored board.   Wink
I
Do you understand that when people refer to men in the context you cite in your post that the insult is that the man in question is being likened to a female in a submissive role? That's probably the most misogynistic context for the word.
Emily - language evolves. And in this instance, it does not have the same context as 50 years ago.  

No one used the N word or the G word.  And, I disagree.  It is a joke. (As in funny.)  

People are so hypersensititive that some would like a idyllic bubble where everyone is in a "safe space." The world is not that way.  

If it had a hint of "submission" in a gender-based context, that would be a different story.  It didn't.  
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »

So where do you stand on the terms
c***
Twat
Dick
Wanker
Tosser
Bellend
Bastard?

Sometimes an insult is just an insult.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »

The context here is the "freedom" to be total dipshits to certain people and posters here.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »

People choose to be offended; it is not a knee-jerk reaction.

I've never quite understood this sort of statement.  Sure, some folk go around getting offended professionally, but other than that, some of the ordinary folk just have trigger words based on their experiences.  That would be a knee-jerk reaction, a felt thing.  They can choose, after getting that reaction, to not get offended, to reason about it in their heads and get on with their day, but the knee-jerk reaction would still have existed as the initial response and the choice is whether or not they manage to suppress it.

Other than that, after further thought, I have decided I like the new Star Wars film and want to see it again.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2015, 02:57:18 PM »

People choose to be offended; it is not a knee-jerk reaction.

I've never quite understood this sort of statement.  Sure, some folk go around getting offended professionally, but other than that, some of the ordinary folk just have trigger words based on their experiences.  That would be a knee-jerk reaction, a felt thing.  They can choose, after getting that reaction, to not get offended, to reason about it in their heads and get on with their day, but the knee-jerk reaction would still have existed as the initial response and the choice is whether or not they manage to suppress it.

Other than that, after further thought, I have decided I like the new Star Wars film and want to see it again.

Agreed on the first point.

As for the second....looking forward to seeing it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »

There has to be some reasonable standard.  Yale students have a petition to ban the First Amendment.  Things are getting a little too "sensitive" and it is less a mysogynist term which relates specifically to women than in earlier decades.   Haven't you heard the term "make him my bee-och" and it is used in a gender-neutral context?  It has lost the gender-specific connotation.

I
Emily - language evolves. And in this instance, it does not have the same context as 50 years ago.  

No one used the N word or the G word.  And, I disagree.  It is a joke. (As in funny.)  

People are so hypersensititive that some would like a idyllic bubble where everyone is in a "safe space." The world is not that way.  

If it had a hint of "submission" in a gender-based context, that would be a different story.  It didn't.  
Ummmmm...... The word used in the context you cited is from men who are the penetrated and submissive in male prison relationships so if you don't think misogyny is involved in that link, then you really are out of the loop on this. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »

I

Ummmmm...... The word used in the context you cited is from men who are the penetrated and submissive in male prison relationships so if you don't think misogyny is involved in that link, then you really are out of the loop on this. 
Emily - While it may have started in that context, it is not longer true and used recently in an Adam Sandler movie "Blended" by a character who is about 10 years old.

Language evolves. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »

To play devil's advocate for a bit (which I love doing, until I run out of quarters...) Adam Sandler is constantly criticized for the content of much of his movies in regards to offensiveness.

That said, I happen to love Blended, and I'm about as liberal as it comes, so...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »

To play devil's advocate for a bit (which I love doing, until I run out of quarters...) Adam Sandler is constantly criticized for the content of much of his movies in regards to offensiveness.

That said, I happen to love Blended, and I'm about as liberal as it comes, so...
And, I love that movie, as well.   Love
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »

I

Emily - While it may have started in that context, it is not longer true and used recently in an Adam Sandler movie "Blended" by a character who is about 10 years old.

Language evolves. 
Yes language evolves, but it hasn't much in this case other than gaining in acceptance.
Most people who use the word are aware of the various meanings and are using it with knowledge of the baggage. They are usually using it because they want to be hip and use it with irony, they want to be hard and use it to show they are alpha, they want to be trendy and use it to get sub-culture cachet (for which it's a little passé), they want to be assholes, they are misogynists, or they think they're reclaiming the term. I've yet to meet anyone who is unaware of the layers of meaning behind the word.
But evidently you are not aware of the significance of that and how the language we use informs our attitudes.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »

But good god this is boring and I'm sorry I brought it up.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2015, 06:14:33 PM »

The context here is the "freedom" to be total dipshits to certain people and posters here.

You mean like "shitweasels" and "fuckwits" coined by our favorite, the Rudester. He's so good at that. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2015, 06:32:18 AM »

I agree that "political correctness" is outta hand these days.

And due to that, I think that's why it's in the interest of being "non-PC" that I should say those who are really obsessed with these huge, powerful guns are probably just not packing enough between their legs, and they're making up for something.

Conservatives hate being PC, so I figured the conservatives on this board would appreciate that.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »

I agree that "political correctness" is outta hand these days.

And due to that, I think that's why it's in the interest of being "non-PC" that I should say those who are really obsessed with these huge, powerful guns are probably just not packing enough between their legs, and they're making up for something.

Conservatives hate being PC, so I figured the conservatives on this board would appreciate that.
SDJ - Amen to that.  It is getting sickening with all of this "Oh, I'm offended, or it offends the sensibility of this group or that group." It is so regressive in thought. I wonder what the drafters of the Constitution would think of this backwards thinking.  People who have all kinds of information access and who can see all these totalitarian countries who restrict open thinking and writing.

The right is to be generally unrestricted in writing, with libel and slander being the boundaries, and those only, subject to standards as well.   It makes me wonder how this generation was taught the underpinnings of American Government.

One article I found from Oberlin, were student demands calling for money to be paid for protesting.  Who ever heard of paying for activism? It is a world gone mad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:07:26 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »

People who are anti-gun certainly have a fixation on the perceived manliness of others.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »

People who are anti-gun certainly have a fixation on the perceived manliness of others.
The perception is not the reality.

At the point when we need to defend ourselves, and the police and first responders are targeted as in the San Bernadino scenario, we need more instruction and not less.  I read where Liberty University is giving firearm defense training available to all the students so in the event of an attack, there will be a first line of defense. This nonsense reminds me of the old 50's-60's "duck and cover under your desk" for students in schools, in the event of a nuclear explosion.  All propaganda.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »

Come on Real Beach Boy! Stop being so damn sensitive! I'm just callin' it how I see it!  Grin

And as far as every single post from filledeplage, it is mind-blowing how a member of the board could get misunderstand nearly every point ever being made. And then expound upon ideas that no-one else is talking about, nor has interest in.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »

Come on Real Beach Boy! Stop being so damn sensitive! I'm just callin' it how I see it!  Grin

Oh, I'm not saying you can't say it. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »

And as far as every single post from filledeplage, it is mind-blowing how a member of the board could get misunderstand nearly every point ever being made. And then expound upon ideas that no-one else is talking about, nor has interest in.
SDJ - I was agreeing with you about PC.  Even Democrats are sick of it.  

People are very interested in the Second Amendment.  It is in the news every day.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

And by the way, Melissa Harris-Perry is a moron of epic proportions.

This country still has a huge race problem. As a small business owner, I've noticed probably a solid 10 to 20 percent of my customers are outwardly, demonstrably racist. The kind of people who see President Obama on the TV and say, "what lies is that Muslim n***** tellin' us today?". And these people say this stuff in front of me because, I'm a young, thirtysomething white guy. It's disgusting.

But anyways, whatever MHP thinks she's doing, it's the opposite. There are a lot of racial issues still around that deserve to be addressed. But when you have people like her saying things like what she said about Darth Vader, and then stuff about how saying "hard work" is somehow wrong because the slaves worked their asses off back in the day for nothing. Now, a great conversation could be had about how the poor in our country could work twice as hard toward the same goal as someone of means and they will probably still lose out to the rich person. However, that's not even part of her thing. She just wants to prove points about supposedly "racial" phrases that obviously have no such connotation.

And because of all her bullshit, I can see why someone who isn't paying as close attention to the news/political scene would be put off by this. It sounds like somebody digging to find something to complain about. It sounds useless. And I can see how it turns of so-called moderates.

On the other hand though, what's just as funny (if not funnier) than MHP is the fact that white male "conservatives" would always call out blacks for always complaining about their lot in life and how they say they've got it so hard, yet they are now the ones who feel oh-so-victimized. It's a fuckin' joke. Being a white Christian male in American society is still the bees knees, and you're fuckin' kidding yourself if you think you are getting the short shrift. So hearing all this "the blacks get all the breaks now" bullshit, especially from these white guys who are on food stamps, or "disability" (despite the fact that they seem to have no physical maladies), or Medicaid, is quite rich.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »

I dunno...I'm anti-gun and I couldn't give two shits about maniliness.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »

And by the way, Melissa Harris-Perry is a moron of epic proportions.

This country still has a huge race problem. As a small business owner, I've noticed probably a solid 10 to 20 percent of my customers are outwardly, demonstrably racist. The kind of people who see President Obama on the TV and say, "what lies is that Muslim n***** tellin' us today?". And these people say this stuff in front of me because, I'm a young, thirtysomething white guy. It's disgusting.

But anyways, whatever MHP thinks she's doing, it's the opposite. There are a lot of racial issues still around that deserve to be addressed. But when you have people like her saying things like what she said about Darth Vader, and then stuff about how saying "hard work" is somehow wrong because the slaves worked their asses off back in the day for nothing. Now, a great conversation could be had about how the poor in our country could work twice as hard toward the same goal as someone of means and they will probably still lose out to the rich person. However, that's not even part of her thing. She just wants to prove points about supposedly "racial" phrases that obviously have no such connotation.

And because of all her bullshit, I can see why someone who isn't paying as close attention to the news/political scene would be put off by this. It sounds like somebody digging to find something to complain about. It sounds useless. And I can see how it turns of so-called moderates.

On the other hand though, what's just as funny (if not funnier) than MHP is the fact that white male "conservatives" would always call out blacks for always complaining about their lot in life and how they say they've got it so hard, yet they are now the ones who feel oh-so-victimized. It's a fuckin' joke. Being a white Christian male in American society is still the bees knees, and you're fuckin' kidding yourself if you think you are getting the short shrift. So hearing all this "the blacks get all the breaks now" bullshit, especially from these white guys who are on food stamps, or "disability" (despite the fact that they seem to have no physical maladies), or Medicaid, is quite rich.

Amen.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: