-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Melissa Harris-Perry: Star Wars is "racist because Darth Vader is black"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Melissa Harris-Perry: Star Wars is "racist because Darth Vader is black"  (Read 35155 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 01:09:39 AM »

What a stupid bitch. May she be locked in a room and forced to watch The Phantom Menace over and over again.
It's good to be aware that your hateful disdain extends to all women. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh but you do talk some utter crap at times.

Do you always have to be a fucking asshole?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 05:39:25 AM »

So who else is going to embrace their white privilege and see Star Wars tomorrow, just to annoy racial tension pimps like Melissa Harris-Perry?

I saw it at a midnight showing this morning. It's not that great.

I don't want to spoil it for myself or anyone -- but I'm curious if there's a "Disney" effect apparent (whatever that is).  I guess... does it feel like a Star Wars movie?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 05:40:55 AM »

What a stupid bitch. May she be locked in a room and forced to watch The Phantom Menace over and over again.
It's good to be aware that your hateful disdain extends to all women. Thanks for the heads up.

It's good to be aware that your hateful disdain extends to all holes.  Thanks for the heads up.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »

I'm going back and forth since I saw it about how great it was (given all the overdone media praise and five-star reviews), but it was pretty great.  I think, being only a first part, it's greatness might 'grow' depending on future episodes.  I didn't notice a Disney effect.  The young actors were excellent.

Modern action films are fast and loud.  They tire me out.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »

Hmmmm, I wonder if any action will be taken by our impartial mods on that little outburst?  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »

So who else is going to embrace their white privilege and see Star Wars tomorrow, just to annoy racial tension pimps like Melissa Harris-Perry?

I saw it at a midnight showing this morning. It's not that great.

I don't want to spoil it for myself or anyone -- but I'm curious if there's a "Disney" effect apparent (whatever that is).  I guess... does it feel like a Star Wars movie?

No Disney effect, but it was very underwhelming and basically a rehash of pts 4&6.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »

Hmmmm, I wonder if any action will be taken by our impartial mods on that little outburst?  Grin

LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »

I hereby declare that "bitch" is a genderfluid insult. You're oppressing me if you disagree. Oh, and you're sexist and definitionally prejudiced (see, I can improvise words that don't really mean anything like the best of the Tumblristas, too!).
Actually it is not gender-specific any longer. 

And not unlike some other "choice" words, can be used at least as a noun, verb or adjective and maybe creatively, even an adverb.   
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

The target is not gender-specific but the source and meaning are, which is the point.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2015, 12:36:42 PM »

The target is not gender-specific but the source and meaning are, which is the point.
So, maybe she impressed that poster as acting like a bee-och. 

Women don't have the market behavior-cornered.

This is the sandbox.   Wink
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »

This is the sandbox.   Wink
I have no problem with people having a problem with Melissa Harris-Perry or with what she said or with her behavior. I have a problem with people using a misogynist term.

Eta: and, the sandbox thing, I never said he can't use the term; I never complained to a mod about his using the term. I didn't even ask that he not use the term.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:52:15 PM by Emily » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »

Exactly some of these posters are nasty pieces of work.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »

This is the sandbox.   Wink
I have no problem with people having a problem with Melissa Harris-Perry or with what she said or with her behavior. I have a problem with people using a misogynist term.

Eta: and, the sandbox thing, I never said he can't use the term; I never complained to a mod about his using the term. I didn't even ask that he not use the term.
Emily - for all the insults and invective that is hurled on this site, that is a relatively tame term and it is an opinion as against a public figure. 

There has to be some reasonable standard.  Yale students have a petition to ban the First Amendment.  Things are getting a little too "sensitive" and it is less a mysogynist term which relates specifically to women than in earlier decades.   Haven't you heard the term "make him my bee-och" and it is used in a gender-neutral context?  It has lost the gender-specific connotation.

Language evolves as well as context and that is a word that has evolved from the connotation of the "female dog" that was gender-specific to a term that is more generic.   

This is a generally an uncensored board.   Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »

Seriously, are you kidding me?Huh

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:53 PM »

Seriously, are you kidding me?Huh
Seriously what?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »

Standing up for nasty pieces of work like Mike's beard.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »

Yale students have a petition to ban the First Amendment.

Nope, that is incorrect.
A documentary filmmaker came onto the campus with a petition and get a few students to sign it.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

Nope, that is incorrect.
A documentary filmmaker came onto the campus with a petition and get a few students to sign it.
In an hour he got 50 signatures.  That is not insignificant.  About one a minute.

"Bitches" looking to diminish the strength of the US Constitution. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »

Standing up for nasty pieces of work like Mike's beard.
It wouldn't have mattered to me who said it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:54:34 PM by filledeplage » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »

That word, like so many in the English language, has its offensiveness dependent on context.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »

People choose to be offended; it is not a knee-jerk reaction.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »

Nope, that is incorrect.
In an hour he got 50 signatures.  That is not insignificant.  About one a minute.

For someone who so often touts her own skepticism, you sure trust whatever agrees with you.

So, out of the over 12,000 students at Yale, he got 50 to sign in an hour. Wow, how crazy. It's almost like if you stick a camera in someone's face, they just do whatever you ask them. Have you been on a college campus? Everyone wants you to sign a petition. Some people just sign it and move on. He's an experienced filmmaker with an agenda and editing skills. Let's be real about this.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up and finally  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »

Nope, that is incorrect.
In an hour he got 50 signatures.  That is not insignificant.  About one a minute.

For someone who so often touts her own skepticism, you sure trust whatever agrees with you.

So, out of the over 12,000 students at Yale, he got 50 to sign in an hour. Wow, how crazy. It's almost like if you stick a camera in someone's face, they just do whatever you ask them. Have you been on a college campus? Everyone wants you to sign a petition. Some people just sign it and move on. He's an experienced filmmaker with an agenda and editing skills. Let's be real about this.
BW - having collected signatures for elections, for many years, getting 50 in an hour is a score.  You are lucky to get half that, if the person or the cause (such as a ballot referendum) is in a contest.  You have to explain the reason you want someone to sign your petition.

12,000 people are not in your immediate sphere at one time.

Have I been on a campus?  The semester just finished.  

Some people will sign anything without being informed.  And, if he got 50 signatures in an hour, they could not have been fully informed or even partially informed.  I am skeptical about how informed these students were to sign so quickly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:17:57 PM by filledeplage » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »

People choose to be offended; it is not a knee-jerk reaction.

Disagree...some things by definition are immediately offensive, regardless of the person (in most cases...there are those who lack empathy and/or consideration for others, in which case the above would not apply)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: