gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:54:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134335 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »

I kind of like the song itself, but that sax solo is awful.

I actually prefer Mike's vocals on 'Still Cruisin', personally.

Apart from "Wipe Out", the "non-oldies" on "Still Cruisin'" are a decent selection of late 80s BB tracks. Nothing stunning. But those six tracks are quite listenable and hold up, musically, to most of their post-1979, pre-reunion material.

The "Still Cruisin'" tracks could all use a remix to liberate them from excessive vocal processing and crummy 80s drum sounds, though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:34:49 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

The "Still Cruisin'" tracks could all use a remix to liberate them from excessive vocal processing and crummy 80s drum sounds, though.

Agreed, and in fact it's one of the albums I  would *love* to remix myself. The album has a special place in my heart as I bought it the day my wife and I started dating.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:54:19 AM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »

I wouldn't mind some of the Still Cruisin songs cracking the setlist at a Mike and Bruce show. 

I think they did Still Cruisin at the RAH show at the end of C50. 
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2016, 12:13:09 PM »

I wouldn't mind some of the Still Cruisin songs cracking the setlist at a Mike and Bruce show. 

I love hearing the title track live! Always a treat!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »

I've heard Still Cruisin' a couple times live and it works well enough. It's usually snuck-in just before the car songs, either after "Betsy" or "Don't Worry Baby". It keeps the theme going and even though most folks don't know it, they've seemed into it.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 27, 2016, 02:33:53 AM »

They actually did 'Still Cruisin' a number of times (at least several times) in C50...  they introduced it for a while, and it was appearing on and off, then it disappeared, and it came back at the RAH show when they did everything! 
KDS
« Reply #581 on: July 27, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »

I've heard Still Cruisin' a couple times live and it works well enough. It's usually snuck-in just before the car songs, either after "Betsy" or "Don't Worry Baby". It keeps the theme going and even though most folks don't know it, they've seemed into it.

Makes sense.  I think that the Still Cruisin LP (despite the Fat Boys song and the oldies) is easily the best Beach Boys 1980s release.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 27, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »

They actually did 'Still Cruisin' a number of times (at least several times) in C50...  they introduced it for a while, and it was appearing on and off, then it disappeared, and it came back at the RAH show when they did everything! 

Still Cruisin' has a sort of a funky retro groove.  It does find occasionally it's way into the setlists.  I like it.  Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: July 27, 2016, 07:58:04 AM »

I remember some folks being kind of "bleh" about "Still Cruisin'" popping up in the middle of the C50 tour. While there certainly were/are other songs I'd rather hear, I remember actually defending the choice to do the song on that tour, if for no other reason than to better represent the 80s and specifically the late 80s. As it was, the 80s were only represented regularly by "Kokomo", with "Getcha Back" and "California Dreamin'" popping up at some but not all shows.

I thought it was also further indication (not that it was needed) that Brian's band could knock out the more Mike-centric stuff that they had never (and subsequently would never again) perform, and do *that* stuff as well as anybody too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 27, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »

They played it July 3, 2012 in VA Beach (my birthday Tongue)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: July 27, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »

Ever notice how Still Cruisin sounds a lot like The Mountains High by Dick and DeeDee?

The Mountains High: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOQ5Re4un4

Maybe AN AWFUL LOT like The Mountains High... Grin

EDIT: Here is a "studio" version in stereo...apparently a UK release of the Liberty original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDujuqesIO8
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:12:08 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

Still plagiarizing after all of these years.... LOL

Mike Love and Terry Melcher were so brilliant compared to Brian Wilson....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:13:51 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 27, 2016, 09:09:38 AM »

They played it July 3, 2012 in VA Beach (my birthday Tongue)

Happy Birthday, guy! Hope you had a good SB type day.  High Five Happy Dance w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 27, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »

Plenty of fun on my birthday! Cool

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 27, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »

Still plagiarizing after all of these years.... LOL

Mike Love and Terry Melcher were so brilliant compared to Brian Wilson....

Great straw man argument.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 27, 2016, 08:53:06 PM »

Another missed opportunity in a career filled with them. If they had been able to follow up Kokomo with a solid, full album with another single, maybe they don't descend as much into the 90s touring band version.  Somewhere Near Japan could have been the single, the other songs form a solid base. Instead the feud between Al and Mike blew up, SIP happened, , the cheerleaders happened, Stamos rose up, etc.
KDS
« Reply #591 on: July 28, 2016, 05:10:21 AM »

Another missed opportunity in a career filled with them. If they had been able to follow up Kokomo with a solid, full album with another single, maybe they don't descend as much into the 90s touring band version.  Somewhere Near Japan could have been the single, the other songs form a solid base. Instead the feud between Al and Mike blew up, SIP happened, , the cheerleaders happened, Stamos rose up, etc.

Not to mention the whole fiasco with Landy.  He kept Brian from making new music with The Beach Boys around this time, and I think the whole thing was a distraction. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 28, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »

Not to mention the whole fiasco with Landy.  He kept Brian from making new music with The Beach Boys around this time, and I think the whole thing was a distraction. 

Totally agree.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 28, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »

Yep, myKe luHv's "Plan 9 From Outer Space" to bring the group and it's sagging image to new, record setting levels of cheeziness. Well done, Clarabelle. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »

I went to the show last night at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Last year, I was able to bring my parents (first time seeing the Beach Boys) and my wife. This year, my parents, my wife and two sons (4 and 6) attended. My boys have been raised on the Beach Boys, the Beatles and Disney music. Not the most relaxing show I've been to since I was mainly concerned with making sure they could see and meeting other needs (restroom, food, etc.). It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything--I still need to talk to them to see what they thought of the experience (sleeping by the time we got to the car and zombies this morning before I left for work).

Overall, your pretty standard show. No Temptations for us, so it appears we got an additional 4-5 songs compared to the show The Cincinnati Kid attended. Highlights for me:

- Opening set of six songs - my boys really like the surf numbers
- The four car songs - again, my boys got into the songs and enjoyed the accompanying videos
- Rhonda through the end - repetitive, but those were songs they were hoping to hear and they were really into it (Sloop John B was also a highlight for my oldest)

A couple of oddities:
- I had debated doing the VIP meet & greet for this show, but decided it was going to be too tricky with all the family I was bringing. I noticed one family of three attempting to redeem their VIP experience and it appeared local security and the box office were not prepared to accommodate. I noticed they eventually got taken backstage by Tara and the daughter was brought up during "Barbara Ann". They also brought out a couple during "Good Vibrations" who appeared to have purchased VIP tickets. I would say, if going on stage with the Beach Boys is a lifelong dream, you probably have a pretty good shot on this tour if you purchase the VIP package.
- The woman in front of us Googled "Al Jardine" a couple of songs into the show. It seemed like she was trying to determine if he was up on stage. Clearly, the touring Beach Boys get a lot of people coming to their shows that have no idea about the current band politics.
- During the beginning of "Be True to Your School" - Tim's keyboard malfunctioned and there was no creaking noise when Mike got up. It seemed to throw them off for a split second, but recovered with some ribbing directed towards Tim.
- During Mike's intro to "Pisces Brother" - a little girl threw the beach ball that the family brought, which followed with the mother shouting "no", "stop", "no" as she tried to recover the ball. Very awkward, but Mike plowed through his normal spiel.
- At the end of the show, some guy behind he started yelling something to the effect of "Mike, what about Brian? You never mentioned him!" Mind you we were 50 yards from the stage, no way the band could hear. Why exactly come to the show if you are that offended by the two separate camps at the moment? Very odd, I'm sure the guy felt good to get that off his chest.

Per usual, I was very unimpressed by the merchandise selection. I took some photos so people could see the current offerings. How they consistently have nothing that interests me, a massive fan, is beyond belief.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36:34 AM »

Thanks for sharing...sounds like a day in the life on the Mike and Bruce tour! LOL

As far as merch, my girlfriend and I both got the shirt with the bus on the front and the dates on the back. But yes, typically the merch is quite lackluster. Nice to see them keeping the deeper Pet Sounds songs in the show too! We got all those, plus "Caroline No" & "Here Today" at the Kennedy Center.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 22, 2016, 11:49:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing...sounds like a day in the life on the Mike and Bruce tour! LOL

As far as merch, my girlfriend and I both got the shirt with the bus on the front and the dates on the back. But yes, typically the merch is quite lackluster. Nice to see them keeping the deeper Pet Sounds songs in the show too! We got all those, plus "Caroline No" & "Here Today" at the Kennedy Center.

I heard "Caroline No" and "Here Today" at the KC show I went to in May--"I'm Waiting for the Day" was new for me.

I was hoping for a hat with the classic script logo--I got a blue hat last summer with "Summer Days" on the side. My wife got the women's Pet Sounds shirt, I didn't like the design of the 50th shirt and hate ringers. Oh well, kept some money in my pocket.

One more thing I forgot to mention, Mike had some sort of blue scarf on stage that was apparently made in India. He talked about it for a couple of minutes (made a Steven Tyler joke), mentioned they were for sale at the merch table with 100% of proceeds going to clean water efforts. He made a joke about bringing the initiative to Flint. He also joked that he couldn't make the same guarantee about the shirts and hats.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 22, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »

I hope Betsy makes it back to the set list.
Calling Scott T...

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 06, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »

I just checked ticket prices for the newly announced Atlanta show...

$86 for most floor seats and $72 for most of the mezzanine, not counting fees.
I think I'm going to have to sit this one out unless I find some cheap last minute tickets on stubhub under face value or "all I wanna do" becomes a permanent setlist addition for this tour.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 06, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »

I was astonished to hear an ad for Mike and Bruce's Atlanta show on the local classic rock station this morning. I think it's the first time I've ever heard any BB music played on that station, besides the background vocals on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me."

FWIW, the place M&B are playing is a very nice venue, with good sound and sight lines.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx